Show your first car or motobike

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Electric cars... I don't know yet, but the acceleration speed of electric cars are FANTASTIC!!! (I only drove one, perhaps not a benchmark) (a ZOE)

Quite like the Twizzy as a second car it would be ideal. For me an EV would need to have a range of 750km to be practical as a primary car.

no, it need a ( full ) recharging in around 15 minutes ( shopping time or just to have a cup of coffee ) and recharing over a inductionsplate inside the parking lot. thats all to make e-cars suitable for everyday use. (y)
lol, all roads / streets / lanes should have "inductionsplate" integrated !!!

Well since you guys haven't tried EVs yet, I thought I might write some things I like and don't.
First, the nice things...
Since it's electric, it's very easy to build conectivity - it's called Bluelink at Hyundai cars, and it can do all kinds of stuff, including locating your car...but also (what ICE cars can't) it can work with A/C, heating, or heated seats. You can for example set up that you leave to work everyday at 8 AM...and the car will have a minimum charge you've set, be at exactly the temperature you find comfortable, and could have lights on, so you don't have to switch on lights in the garage.
That's rather nifty.

Second, electric motor has power in all "revs" (so to speak), so you just press the pedal and 'poof' you're gonezo. This is something you might like to do, but considering the fact that it drains the batteries fast, you most likely won't. I tried using even the "sport mode" in EVs and the consumption went triple the normal.

After a while you'll grow tired of this - the Kona EV is rather a nice well equipped car, but it's still a mid-class subcompact crossover and you can see how cheap it is (it's the EV technology that's expensive). Now, with the 'power' of it, you'll see that it's like fitting a massive V8 to a...well Renault 5! It's fun at the start, but then you realize it's over-engined.

Now...the things you'll hate...

First of all, I'm lazy af, so connecting the car everytime I arrived at work was a PITA (not a terrible one, but still).
Both Ioniq and Kona take about 8-10 hours to fully charge on a wallbox (that's an AC thingie, that most EVs will charge at). A DC Box can get it charged up in about 50-60 mins.

Now...this isn't that bad if you use the car to commute to work where you can charge... but sometimes I had to go a bit farther...and after having to go the Hyundai HQ in Prague, with nowhere to charge on a cold day I felt fucked - always used ICE cars for any longer journey then :(

Last, but not least - the EVs do catch fire... be it a Kona, be it a fukkin Tesla. The technology is just half-assed and the reasons for EVs existing are political - not the fact that the technology is helping environment - it is not!

Btw... if you ever get the chance to drive an electric Hyundai...go for Ioniq... it's been made as an EV from the start and it looks proper futuristic... and with a little less powerful engine it's not as unbalanced and yobbish as Kona.

If there's anything you wanna ask about EVs feel free to... I'm even certified by Hyundai as an EV sales man xD

What is the life cycle of the batteries and how much does it cost to replace compared to the price of a new vehicle ?

With Hyundai you get warranty (in Czech Republic) for 8 years or 160.000km. So far I am told by a friend with first gen Nissan Leaf that batteries still work after 12 years ( o think) but the capacity is at 25%.. The plan at Hyundai is said to use batteries on solar farms and such after they are not useful in cars anymore. My guess is with the newer type of batteries like KONA has, you could count with perhaps 200.000 km or 12-15 years with the last few on lower capacity.

Price of battery packs is unreasonable and it'd be more economical to just discard the car completely. Last time I checked battery pack was supposed to be about 80% of new car price.

With Hyundai you get warranty (in Czech Republic) for 8 years or 160.000km. So far I am told by a friend with first gen Nissan Leaf that batteries still work after 12 years ( o think) but the capacity is at 25%.. The plan at Hyundai is said to use batteries on solar farms and such after they are not useful in cars anymore. My guess is with the newer type of batteries like KONA has, you could count with perhaps 200.000 km or 12-15 years with the last few on lower capacity.

Price of battery packs is unreasonable and it'd be more economical to just discard the car completely. Last time I checked battery pack was supposed to be about 80% of new car price.
while talking about alternativ fuels, don´t forget hydrogen. he is also hyundai in a leading position with the neco car. the hydrogen car or its more right to say the mobile hydrogen powerplant, what you have in your car, is a totaly other approach because there is the future thinking, that you not just park your car at your home to recharge, no than you can plugin your car to the house to power up your hose with the hydrogen power of your car. very interesting.

Nexo is a completely different league...
look, it's me showing off with the Nexo at a press conference :) had a pleasure of driving it a bit in the parking lot...
it's interesting, but I can tell you absolutely no hands-on experience. They don't sell them in CZ, because we have no "fuel stations".

But the car is incredibly luxurious...and honestly, people were even asking if that's only a prototype...to which I had to tell them it's a mass-produced car, only we in czech have the bad luck that's not sold here.

That all sounds very good, Hydrogen + Oxygen = 0 emissions (water) but you are driving a bomb, a bit like a C4 Jeep :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Psycho_Moerchen
yea, beep-beep... ka-boom!

Actually so far there aren't many reports of the Nexo exploding or catching fire... normal electric vehicles like the kona on the contrary...

Given that the change from fossil fuel is inevitable it would be good to see alternatives to electricty as a power source unless you are also looking at how the electricity is also generated. Last thing that is needed is a VHS/Betamax MD/CD type situation. We need a standard that is the best (at that time) and can evolve. Same for vehicle charging, don't need to have to start finding stations with different plugs/sockets.

At the same time as investing in energy sources there is a need for efficient battery technology. The whole charging/using process isn't the most efficient and battery technology is relatively crude at the moment.

Another thought is that hopefully the future will stop people having battery anxiety and becoming a middle lane road block as they are desperate to save battery (no heating, no lights, etc,).

Given that the change from fossil fuel is inevitable it would be good to see alternatives to electricty as a power source unless you are also looking at how the electricity is also generated. Last thing that is needed is a VHS/Betamax MD/CD type situation. We need a standard that is the best (at that time) and can evolve. Same for vehicle charging, don't need to have to start finding stations with different plugs/sockets.

At the same time as investing in energy sources there is a need for efficient battery technology. The whole charging/using process isn't the most efficient and battery technology is relatively crude at the moment.
but this is the way it has to be.
difference technologies for different conditions. the hydrogen technilogy is waaaaay more powerfull for heavy duties like boats, trucks or even vans. not only because you can use the power just for moving/driving but also for the needed power when the ship is in harbour or the truck is in a break.

small batteriepowered cars are the choise when your profile is just to drive 20-50km with 1 or 2 persons a day ( what the mostly use is ). also for bigger persons or big old wrecked knee dinos like glen must be cars there. small cars, with higher entrance, wider doors and so on.

for longer distance or holiday it have to be a rental. that is where we have to go out of our comfortzone. the mindset has to change. what is it when you have a vehicle for the reoson that you can drive it over maybe 800km without refuel but you need this maybe once or twice a year?? seriously, than you can use a cheaper smaller and less wide reaching car. for the saved money you can rent a other car when its really used.

our mobility thinking need to be changed in a totaly difference way but same way the options to use and the infrastructure of mobility and public transport services.

oh, just remember about a very interesting video about hydrogen power. its a german youtube channel but just in this video mostly in english. very intesting.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

• Haha
Reactions: glenwilson
there was a study in germany where they tried to count when is an electric vehicle "good" for the environment...it was about 230.000 km compared to a similar size petrol powered car...
(if the fossil fuels run out it's different story)

but just imagine that you drive an EV for that long... and btw...I'm sure batteries won't last that long.

Not with today's technology. I mean, look at how long it took to develop internal combustion engine? Now we're hurrying to a half-assed product for no good reason.

That all sounds very good, Hydrogen + Oxygen = 0 emissions (water) but you are driving a bomb, a bit like a C4 Jeep :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As far as I know:
Well its not reeeeeally more dangerous than a propane car.
Hydrogen is parctically only 2 protones and is lost over time in any tank due to difussion.
But that doesnt mean that its happening all at once and hydrogen is very reactive so it automatically reacts to water in air.

I think there was a really sucessfull expensive lobby campaign to stop hydrogen technologies in the 2000s

Because nobody discusses about physics in gasoline cars but when you say hydrogen everybody shouts dangerous.

Reactions: lakaelo
there was a study in germany where they tried to count when is an electric vehicle "good" for the environment...it was about 230.000 km compared to a similar size petrol powered car...
(if the fossil fuels run out it's different story)

but just imagine that you drive an EV for that long... and btw...I'm sure batteries won't last that long.

Not with today's technology. I mean, look at how long it took to develop internal combustion engine? Now we're hurrying to a half-assed product for no good reason.

I think somebody won the nobelpreis for having an idea about Lithium Ion battery recycling

Mining lithium seems to be a real mess:

Please tell me if I use unsound newsources I only know may german sources and whom to trust.
But here is something that looks somewhat reliable:

Reactions: lakaelo

Users who are viewing this thread