Football WC in Brazil

• Thread starter General_Misery
  • Start date
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
A pretty normal WC: acting/cheating by players, referees blowing the whistle or showing cards too much/too little, squads over/under-performing, England sent home early, one or two scandals (e.g. Suarez' biting) but luckily so far - no fan riots (as far as I know). The riots by Brazilian citizens are of course noteworthy.

Still, quite a lot of good football IMHO and an excellent way to slouch in front of the TV, drinking whisky and avoid doing chores at home :D

And the next fail decision, a penalty for Greece in the 92 min. for a little contact???!!
That was the last match I have watched, this WC sucks, more fail decisions than in a full season.
This has nothing more to do with the better team wins, sometimes it even looks like connivance!!!

if u stop or change the course of the foot which is going to hit the ball into the goal it is a foul and will always be one.

And the next fail decision, a penalty for Greece in the 92 min. for a little contact???!!
That was the last match I have watched, this WC sucks, more fail decisions than in a full season.
This has nothing more to do with the better team wins, sometimes it even looks like connivance!!!

if u stop or change the course of the foot which is going to hit the ball into the goal it is a foul and will always be one.
If you ask me, a penalty only should given if a "clear" goal chance is taken by a intentionally foul.
There were other players infront of the goal, so not a "clear" chance in my opinion and we had more penalties til yet in this WC than usually in a whole tournament. Match deciding penalties for "nothing". If Referees will "keep this way" then players practically cant "defend- attack" anyone in the penalty zone anymore.
Red cards should only be given for rude intentionally fouls and penalties should only be given if a 100% clear goal chance was prevented.
I like the Ref's who let "flow alot", then you often can see players lying on the field and act and if they notice that the referee doesnt whistle they are back on the feet in a second...pffttt..

Just my opinion...you can have another one ;-) :nurse:

Last edited:
Suarez is a git but commercial is quite funny:

[video=youtube;6qUg8tAaStI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qUg8tAaStI[/video]

This is quite funny too - so true:

"All too often during matches, seemingly fit men fall to the ground in agony. They scream, wince, pound the grass with their fists and gesture to the sidelines for a stretcher. Some of them clutch a limb as if it was just freed from the jaws of a wood chipper.

But after a few moments, just as the priests arrive to administer last rites, they sit up on the gurney, shake it off, rise to their feet and run back on the field to play some more. "

Part 2:

"Here are the "winners" of our first-ever international soccer injury-embellishment awards. Envelopes, please!

The Team Most Commonly Seen in Anguish: Brazil. There were 17 incidents in two games when a member of the Seleção was seen on the ground in pain—the most of any country. World Cup poster boy Neymar had five such "injuries," the most on his team. In every case he was back on his feet within 15 seconds.

The Overall Writhing-Time Champions: Honduras. Los Catrachos spent the most time on the ground or being tended to by trainers: seven minutes and 40 seconds to be exact. Naturally, five minutes and 10 seconds of that came in the first half against France when the match was tied (which would have been good enough for them).

The Team Most Likely to Grin and Bear it: Bosnia and Herzegovina. These World Cup newbies obviously don't get how this works. They only had two "injuries" in two games for a total of 24 seconds of writhing time.

The Team With the Most Carnage in One Game: Chile. While they protected an early lead against Spain, the Chileans tallied 11 "injuries," more than 24 other teams had in two games.

The Fastest "Injury" Yet: Enner Valencia, Ecuador. Against Honduras, Valencia was on the ground, clutching his leg after four seconds.

Worst Use of a Stretcher: 5 players (tie) Of the nine players carried off in these matches, five returned—all in less than 90 seconds, including American DaMarcus Beasley."

Lmao Pixi, you could go "on air" with your own World Cup column :D

Yay USA and Greece through but i'll be amazed if either get past their next game :p

The USA just seem to long ball it forward to no one and lose it all the time, they're lucky they have Tim Howard.

I'm glad to see the punishment handed out to Suarez is probably sufficient. What surprises me is that much of the Uruguayan reaction is against the British Press. I'm English and didn't feel that England deserved to go through because they didn't play well enough. We are also in good company with Spain, Italy, Portugal (all possible contenders) also having gone out. That said, my reaction to what Suarez did has nothing to do with him scoring the two goals that knocked England out. In BF and you make racist or homophobic comments or cheat you get banned. Football isn't a contact sport like rugby but it is still physical and as a result you get knocks and kicks and I would expect to see players reacting that with a kick or sometimes a punch - that to me would be a natural instinct reaction. It may not be right but it is an understandable result. Biting someone seems to me a much more deliberate action and it Suarez case a very premeditated act of violence. You get hit or kicked and your automatic response would be to hit out or kick too. You wouldn't chase them and try biting a lump out of them. It will also be interesting to see what Liverpool do now. Having a player with that sort of reputation is not going to be easy for them especially as the have supported the player through a couple of lengthy bans now.

The knock out stage will be different and this is where some of the teams that have got through may get shown up. I would like to see the USA, Costa Rica, Belgium and Germany do well in the next stage. All of the last 16 deserve to be there because of the results they have got. Lets not have any more stupid actions by players from now on.

who is next to be out of the tournament by the Belgians??
OWYEAH.... it's the americans !!!
(poor mr Sweney)
:D

Robben - always a big actor; look at him and he falls and screams for a penalty shot. This time the weak referee was Mexico's misfortune. Shame! :(

Users who are viewing this thread