Todays View

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
If you go by the ditty four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie it includes any bird that is black from crow, rook, raven, jackdaw etc.

In the garden environment:

Starlings: noisy Essex type yobs who run around like benny hill music is playing and will shit on anything including other birds but prefer cars. In appearance they have that sparkly iridescent green look like a shell suit. Will eat anything, junk food and anything that looks like it will fill in their gobs. Can mimic the sounds of other birds and noises but generally noisy fucks.

Blackbirds: Big clue here is that they are black. Looks like they are wearing a dinner suit and has a gold monocle around each eye. They tend to run in short bursts and stop then run again. These guys can actually sing particularly in the evening. After a long day at the office they like nothing better than to find a roof and sing a soothing melody. Food wise they will eat worms and other food left about like suet balls.

Jackdaws: Twice the size of a blackbird and older ones look like a silverback gorilla. These are like posh starlings and are also quite noisy. These strut around as though they own the place. Will eat anything including stuff with wings and feathers.

Sparrows: Brown, boring and go cheeeep a lot.

Dunnock: Like a sparrow but tend to keep to hedges and are a bit more grey in colour.

Hope that helps. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo
I have them in my garden, 17 of them yesterday all at the same time. The blackbirds I can recognise but some look exactly the same but are dark brown and have light specks on them all tucking into a fat ball type of thing with mealworms the size of a lge baked bean tin that they go mad over. We have other fat balls that they dont touch, meal worms, nuts and seeds. I have banned the wife from buying this stuff (she didnt listen).
Its nice the birds but there is a downside, it attracts all the cats from the neighbourhood that hide in the bushes waiting for the birds to come. Cats are nice too but they shit on my grass and there is nothing worse than hitting this shit with the lawn mower and that smell !!! We have come to an agreement, she can have her birds and I will cut the grass but if there is cat shit on it I wont touch it until she clears it. :sick:

• Haha
Riz, there is only one way. Put a flag in all the poop that your wife should clear :D

6b60d3f4336b6100f6cdf2bcda07c8e3_preview_featured.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: RIZLOID and lakaelo
If it is on the grass then the poo could be from hedgehogs - usually quite small and dark and stinks. Cats tend to poo in flower beds.

Blackbirds - males are black but females are slightly larger and are a darkish brown colour. Juvenile blackbirds are brown with speckles on their chest. Tend to only have one at a time in a garden as they can be a bit territorial though territories do overlap so you may not see the same on each time.

Starlings - Males and females look the same with little to differentiate them but juveniles are a lightish brown colour all over. Tend to arrive in flocks.

It is like sparrows, You can get house and tree sparrows but the dunnock also looks like a sparrow too.

Juveniles of all bird species look different to the parents as the parents would see them as a threat and not feed them and would force them out of the nest. Most birds develop their 'normal' plumage when they are independent of the parents.

This is quite a good place if you don't know what bird is what.

And if you want to look for a specific bird then here:

I am useless at identifying birds. We see a lot of them up here particularly raptors. So often though what you see has no resemblance to anything in a book or photo. We are on the border of where you could see golden eagles but we have seen them flying above. Whilst out one day there was one in somebodies garden - from the colour and size it couldn't be anything else (unless a bald eagle juvenile had escaped or got lost).

Putting different foods out will attract a greater variety of birds. Sunflower seed will attract a lot of finches especially goldfinches but will also bring in greenfinches, siskins and redpoles. Nyger (there are various other spellings of that which could get you banned) is also good for smaller finches.

Last edited:
Just doing garden stuff whilst next door gets their gutters fixed and the crap is going all over our car. :mad: Sensible thing would have been to ask me to move it but no...….

Raining and quite chilly so cannot enjoy the garden today so may have to resort to some glue and plastic therapy before planning for the excitement of shopping day. We still effectively have lockdown up here with few shops open and trips out discouraged.

Have completed a couple of kits and just started a new one.

Attachments

• 82FDAE91-CCBF-4D4B-AE26-E2CF09DC96B4.jpeg
    82FDAE91-CCBF-4D4B-AE26-E2CF09DC96B4.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 4ADF09CE-6ED3-4707-8D2B-F522BDA0B747.jpeg
    4ADF09CE-6ED3-4707-8D2B-F522BDA0B747.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 076B97BD-470A-4FE0-BD9E-4F7FDE6DE40A.jpeg
    076B97BD-470A-4FE0-BD9E-4F7FDE6DE40A.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 85524AE7-7640-468A-B3AA-5E36DBF9DA3F.jpeg
    85524AE7-7640-468A-B3AA-5E36DBF9DA3F.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 6
Wife yesterday: 'We(?) have too many plants to look after'.

Wife today: 'Great I can see if the shop has any plants for the garden tomorrow'.
Me: :censored:

Not jealous at all. We have loads of raspberry plants around the garden sown by birds so may have enough for a pie (if the birds don’t eat them). The weather here is just to inconsistent to grow any veg or fruits. Even herbs struggle.

YEs! We have never tried to encourage him . If you are in the garden he will come up to you and 'encourage' you to follow him to the food!

Users who are viewing this thread