Todays View

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Bryce Canyon National Park. First went there in about 2000. Left Vegas (620m above sea level) which was 37°C so was dressed appropriately in shorts and t-shirt. Got to Bryce (2,400m above sea level) and it was 0°C and snowing! Looked a bit out of place in shorts. 🥶 Been there a few times since and it is always a magical place with the light and shadows constantly changing.

01B90033 61D1 4F90 A057 C4D7B569525E 7FB27FC9 0004 4FF2 98AE 69C975D88027

Also used this today for a change. Got this in the FBI HQ building in Washington DC after doing their tour. Part of the tour was them doing a live ammo demonstration of all sorts of weapons including the Al Capone type machine guns to more modern stuff.

E2AFFA08 A346 440B 95E3 ACCF1F511EAF

Bryce Canyon National Park. First went there in about 2000. Left Vegas (620m above sea level) which was 37°C so was dressed appropriately in shorts and t-shirt. Got to Bryce (2,400m above sea level) and it was 0°C and snowing! Looked a bit out of place in shorts. 🥶 Been there a few times since and it is always a magical place with the light and shadows constantly changing.

View attachment 10160View attachment 10161
Indeed; I went there in 1978 (!) with a friend as part of a two month Greyhound bus tour from coast to coast and Bryce was one of our favourites and yes, we were surprised by the cold temp too... ;)

So my mum's ipad won't charge. She has been using the black lead. Not sure why it won't. Also white lead wont fit now.🤔

View attachment 10179
The black one looks somewhat shattered - debris in the contact of the iPad?
My son's iPhone had a charging problem and it turned out that the culprit was stuff stuck inside the contact; once removed it was fine.

While some of you enjoyed your time in the newer, fancier game, I came back to my Battlefield gaming roots. Its been 11 years since this game came out :D Today I enjoyed my time at Port Valdez, Lancang..ehm..Laguna Presa, Laguna Alta etc.. Have to say that firing the sniper rifles feels like firing a canon there. Feels so good...

Bc24 Bc22

While some of you enjoyed your time in the newer, fancier game, I came back to my Battlefield gaming roots. Its been 11 years since this game came out :D Today I enjoyed my time at Port Valdez, Lancang..ehm..Laguna Presa, Laguna Alta etc.. Have to say that firing the sniper rifles feels like firing a canon there. Feels so good...

So many great memories, the game which introduced me to the Battlefield series. Can't even describe why it was so amazing, it just felt right. And I think no other game made sniping as fun and as satisfying as BFBC2 did.

That was my guess too. Looks like a trip to Apple for her when she can get out.
probably when you look with a torch into the connector you can see it sitting.

If you dare, turn off the ipad and start poking around in the connector with a non-conductive tool and try to get it out. My experience with apple is that they won't even try to get it out......

Good advice. Mum is 400+ miles away though so the poking idea, is good but going to need a really long poking tool! 🤣 If we were closer then I would definately try as I have a few tools that would help.

The first thing she says when something doesn't work is I haven't done anything* I think it either dropped and the plug broke or she yanked it out at an angle and broke it. Seems that if you get it aligned it will still charge. Nearest Apple place is shut and she isn't allowed out yet. She can't walk too far. Normally she would just buy a new one as it could be £246 to repair and a new one would be about £330. We have an old Air 2 which we can set-up and send down and when we can go down there get the other one fixed. Despite being 90 she can still do a lot of things.

*Translated: I did something but I have no idea what or how to undo it.

• Haha
Reactions: CoquilletteUwU
Good advice. Mum is 400+ miles away though so the poking idea, is good but going to need a really long poking tool! 🤣 If we were closer then I would definately try as I have a few tools that would help.

The first thing she says when something doesn't work is I haven't done anything* I think it either dropped and the plug broke or she yanked it out at an angle and broke it. Seems that if you get it aligned it will still charge. Nearest Apple place is shut and she isn't allowed out yet. She can't walk too far. Normally she would just buy a new one as it could be £246 to repair and a new one would be about £330. We have an old Air 2 which we can set-up and send down and when we can go down there get the other one fixed. Despite being 90 she can still do a lot of things.

*Translated: I did something but I have no idea what or how to undo it.
hahaha didnt know the 400+ miles thingy (no idea what that translates to in normal european units ;) ).
sounds like the best idea and awesome mums of 90 that can work with ipads :p

Best option is the Apple store to replace the socket.
Last option with no guaranties, I would try (check diagram)
Let the pad go completely flat (batt power) then with a flat precision screwdriver (small enough to go in the slot) try to bend the ends slightly inwards of the broken bit as this will be jagged and grip on the sides
when you are trying to remove it. Then get a plastic straw and flatten it (McDonalds straw is too big) and check it reaches through the slot all the way to the broken bit. Find something flat that will slide inside the
straw with a bit of super glue on the end to stick to the broken bit and hopefully pull it out. Dont put super glue straight on the item as it will be too much and then run inside, drip a drop of glue on to something first and dab the
item in it, just on the end and push it through the straw (straw shields the sides from the glue) to the broken bit, let it set and try pulling it out. There is a 99% chance this is not going to work as I have never tried it, but have used the straw trick to remove fluff from the socket that was stopping the plug from reaching the end of the socket, using the straw and a vaccum cleaner attached to it (worked great).
If it all fails resort to prying with tiny screwdriver carefully (probably the best way)

Reactions: glenwilson
400miles is about 600km. I wish we had gone all-in when we joined the EU ( apart from the driving on the wrong side of the road thing you lot do) including the Euro and fully metric. But that is a different discussion. 😁

Thanks for all the advice. Some of that I hadn't thought of so would be worth a try if I was able to get there before resorting to the Apple store. Even sending it away would be a problem with her though arranging a courier pick up would be an option.

Got a new first vaccine appointment for Friday so will be a proper vacchole 😁

One thing I hate about apple is the fact that they are taking away the right to repair. Bye making spair part un obtainable. So you have a choice to use un official parts. But there even starting to put digital marks in the screen for example so the phone won't even boot if there is an onofficial screen installed.

Users who are viewing this thread