Looking after yourself

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Many of us may find ourselves isolated either because of government curfews or working from home. Some people are able to cope with that and others may struggle. There will obviously be additional worries, not just about the virus but about employment, finances, and even getting food and the well being of friends and relatives.

Being “trapped” in doors can be daunting for some so it is necessary to get into a routine and find stuff to do. In situations like this there can be a strain on your mental health and relationships especially if you are suddenly together for much longer periods.

So how do you fill all this extra time? Obviously binge watching Netflix or TV is an easy option. 😁 Just thought it might be useful to have some other ideas.
  • Learn to cook something. I don’t mean some fancy restaurant style meal but something more simple like a cake or basic sauces. Some of these don’t need a lot of ingredients and they should use stuff you already have or should be relatively easy to get even at times like this. Learning how to make a basic white sauce means that you can add loads of other things to it like cheese, mushrooms and so on. Use veg peelings and trimmings to may a vegetable stock that can be used to cook rice or a risotto.
  • Do something you have been putting off for ages. It could be tidying up a room or the garden. Painting something, cleaning and so on.
  • Learn how to do something new. A language, a craft and so on.
  • Spend some time just reading or listening to music with no other distractions. Make sure you have some ‘me’ time as you are important.
  • If you are going to spend time playing BF (or anything else) set some targets or assignments so you have something to achieve.
  • Quite a few companies are making phone/tablet games free for short periods so get them when you can as that can be a distraction
A lot of social media can be particularly toxic but there is also a lot of good out there. YouTube is full of information on how to build, cook, repair things.

Nobody is alone at this time. It may not be advisable to have close or face to face 😷 contact but there will always be someone to listen if you need it.

or just help ghosting our server. :D

however, wifey suggest we could highpressure the terrase to make it clear from mud. we means ME and first thing is that i i have to clear up the gardenhouse to find this fucking karcher and than the mess will start and after all i am looging like was digging for gold and covered in mud. but the terrase will be fine :D

argh you sign a ugly picture in my mind.
I can see now our oild orchid in fetisch dress, gloves mask and a kärcher, wearing nothing else ....noooooooooooooo!

By da way, lovin that weapon to clean everyting for summer, it is so typical german to make noise with undue garden engines like howhowhooow (binford tools) ^^

Attachments

• kaercher-gzs-go.jpg.png
    kaercher-gzs-go.jpg.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 4
We actually saw some bog roll in a shop!!! But which nozzle on the Karcher do you use? The decking attachment was a bit awkward to use and the rotating head gets tangled in the bush.

When you do stuff remember avoid all risky things now. If you have to do something be now more careful than in normal times. Last thing you want now is end up to hospital full of possible corona patients and stress healthcare with your extra accident. For example yesterday when i helped delivery guy to carry all my stuff here i carried only about 50% of max weight i could carry to avoid risks with my bad back. Lol that delivery guy propably secretly hates me becouse of weekly big orders, top floor and no elevator. 😀

Thank you very much indeed, Glen.
Your gracious and encouraging words brighten up my day.

Please take good care of yourself - every single one of you.

When you do stuff remember avoid all risky things now. If you have to do something be now more careful than in normal times. Last thing you want now is end up to hospital full of possible corona patients and stress healthcare with your extra accident.

That is great advice. Too easy to rush when doing stuff and end up with an injury or wound.

For anyone having to, or able to work from home for the first time this article may be of use (does have a lot of ads though). Normally a company would do a review of where you are planning to work to make sure that it conforms to safety standards and that you would be sitting correctly and so on. Of course some of you cannot take your work home but hope this helps if you can.

Wonder what would wife say if i take my work home and tear appart the engine in the kitchen :)

That did cross my mind. Years ago a pal of mine usually had a motorcycle engine or two in bits in their kitchen!!

"Can i wash some pistons and valves in dishwasher ?" And booom ..... Im flying through the window with all the parts :D

Audible have some free Audiobooks for kids that may be of use to keep the little darlings quiet. Looks like they are available in a variety of languages too. Maybe of use to keep them quiet if drugs and duct tape run out or don’t work. 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady_Musketeer_GER

Users who are viewing this thread