Advices to upgrade a computer needed !

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Re : Advices to upgrade a computer needed !

My cock is big enough for my hens who give fresh bio eggs everyday !
Do you want me to send to you a chick, hoping it will be a big male one, a big baby cock !?

Hmm price of food is one of highest in Europe here so why not lol. :)

Not sure it's really food's price but rather think about margins' dealers !...

Well, I have almost all the stuff to build my new computer !
Almost, because I've bought the only Intel processor sold without processor fan !

Corsair H80 : 55€

And I didn't get my RAM yet !...

Now, I'd like to move everything (folders, programs and files) except Win 7 from my 500Gb HDD to the 1Tb one.
How do I manage that ?
By cutting and pasting all the folders in C: except C:Windows/ folder ?

Last edited:
Lakaelo if he needs his old stuff from an old hd all he needs to do is plug it into an extra sata port and the computer will recognize it then he can xfer his files quickly that way

Lakaelo if he needs his old stuff from an old hd all he needs to do is plug it into an extra sata port and the computer will recognize it then he can xfer his files quickly that way

for sure but this is not working if it is you C: HD with the system. in that case you have to clone is with a "linux based" program to swap/clone the windows to the other HD.

The 2 HDD are already plugged and they have both data.
Win 7 is on the 500Gb HDD and I'd like it to stay here, keeping only Win 7. This HDD will be for my 6yo daughter's computer.
My programs and my documents have to be moved to the 1Tb HDD that will stay in my computer.
Then, I'll have to install Win 8.1 on the big HDD and transfer it to the SSD (can't install directly on SSD !?).

I think cloning will delete the data I already have on the destination HDD (I have to move them to another place !...) and I don't want to clone all the source HDD (not Win 7 !... But it may not be a problem to have Win 7 on the destination HDD !...) ...

What I'd like to know is to run Win 7, you only needs C:Windows/ ? No hidden folders or files ?

For the Corsair H80 I've found (not bought yet !), it has been "customized" with transparent hoses and requires now an external tank to be able to replace the cooling liquid, getting less efficient with time, as in a car !
What my computer will look like then !!???
watercool-6.jpg

Does the manufacturer not schedule to replace the cooling liquid ? No draining screw ?

First, I'm very surprised to not see the SSD in the tree view.
And then, it might come from my Win 8 copy : the last one said my PC needed to be repaired because there is not File:\windows\System32\drivers\3ware.sys !...
So how can put my current Win 7 and my programs (especially BF) on it ?
I didn't succeed with Data Migration ...

I've found these RAM : G.Skill RipjawsX 16Go (4x4Go) PC17000 2133Mhz 1.65V CL9.
But my MB (Asus Sabertooth X79) doesn't appear in the QVL tab.
Here is the list of G.Skill RAM given by G.Skill with my MB.
What does it mean ? Do I have to use only these ones !?

Bought myself a samsung evo today. It was properly detected in bios and by win8. Maybe check if you can upgrade your bios? Moving only the windows folder is not enough, some components are in program files like windows defender and some in common files. Why don't you consider a fresh installation?

My SSD is detected in bios and by Samsung Magician and Data Migration.
Can you see your SSD in the tree view ?
And I would reinstall if I were sure to keep all my programs and documents and if I were sure of my Win copies !....

What tree view? In the installation program or explorer?
Is your disk already formatted? Samsung software sees the hardware, windows as well, but as it is normally not shipped formatted it is not shown, however windows will know that it is there.
Right click on 'This computer', choose maintain (at my place third option, with UAC-schield). Then a maintenance screens opens, go to diskmanagement to see your disk (hopefully). Picture in dutch, but hope it helps. Note that i formatted during installation of Win8, while setting de big disk on SATA2, so i could copy files from there.
2014 09 27 19 03 26 Clipboard

Last edited:
What tree view? In the installation program or explorer?
Is your disk already formatted? Samsung software sees the hardware, windows as well, but as it is normally not shipped formatted not shown, however windows will now that it is there.
Right click on 'This computer', choose maintain (at my place third option, with UAC-schield). Then a maintenance screens opens, go to diskmanagement to see your disk (hopefully). Picture in dutch, but hope it helps. Note that i formatted during installation of Win8, while setting de big disk on SATA2, so i could copy files from there.
View attachment 2303

@waxxzer
you pc must be broken. you can see that in your pic. its all in a strange letters salad lol

Perfect ! Thank you very much waxxzer ! Look at the French salad :
Sans titre 321

And that is what I call the tree view (the left part of the window) :
Sans titre 241
Maybe it's not the right word !...
And now, I can see my SSD !
So, I just have to copy and paste the program folders such as BF3, BF4, ... ?
No first, I'll try to install Win 8 on the SSD (Will the installer program ask for where I want to install it !?) ! Then I'll see what happens with the programs !...

Last edited:
When you install it asks you which disk/partition you wish to install it on. But are you planning on copying your program files folder across to a new install? That's not the best idea, lots of things won't work.

Like Sam says, dont copy rubbish. Keep fresh. Run install from USB/CD on your newly aquired ssd. I found a solution that even helps with origin games to copy them (so it saves you downloading again). Like this:
-Install origin freshly
-Start download, and immediatly pause
-Exit origin (eventually via taskbar)
-Paste exisiting origin downloads in created folder (overwrite=yes)
-Start origin again. It will check the files and eventually update a little
-Repeat that for every game!
Good luck
And yeah, the treeview, for me it is windows explorer :)

@samoz : what do you mean with "across" ?
I definitively want to install Win 8 on the SSD before everything else ! (I need to find back my Microsoft account login !...)
Then, I wonder about my Win upgradig, if my programs will still run with Win 8.
Maybe, I'll have to reinstall them one by one.

@waxxzer : your method only consists in creating a new Origin folder in SSD:program Files\ with the aborted download and now, I can do it manually !
So I guess once I'll have install Win 8 on the SSD, I could cut and paste C:program Files\ on SSD and look after the shortcuts.
Can you see a significant difference in game loading time since you have put the game folders on your SSD ?
The tree view is a part of Windows Explorer ...

I only get reading error when I boot from my USB drive with Win 8 !
I'm using Rufus to prepare the USB drive (formatting and copying the .iso file content on it) : I don't understand why it doesn't work !

And please, can you answer this crucial question for me :
Why do the RAM manufacturers give models list according to your motherboard ?

I've found 2 kits of 2 x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866MHz that would be equivalent to F3-14900CL9Q-16GBSR (= 2 x F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR) that fits in my MB.
Q stands for Quad channel and D, for Dual channel. So 2 x D-8GB = 1 Q-16GB !

Re: Re : Advices to upgrade a computer needed !

@waxxzer : your method only consists in creating a new Origin folder in SSD:program Files\ with the aborted download and now, I can do it manually !
So I guess once I'll have install Win 8 on the SSD, I could cut and paste C:program Files\ on SSD and look after the shortcuts.
Can you see a significant difference in game loading time since you have put the game folders on your SSD ?
The tree view is a part of Windows Explorer ...

I only get reading error when I boot from my USB drive with Win 8 !
I'm using Rufus to prepare the USB drive (formatting and copying the .iso file content on it) : I don't understand why it doesn't work !

And please, can you answer this crucial question for me :
Why do the RAM manufacturers give models list according to your motherboard ?

Don't copy program files, as with a new install you'll also get a clean registry and this will not contain the needed settings for a lot of programs. You samsung is also not that big, so when you install programs that are not so much demanding install them on your second disk (in setup wizards you can normally choose where to install to).
*** And i'm not gonna repeat again, everything, well almost everything needs a fresh install *** lol
Speed: Loading BF4 reduced by 5 :). First when done loading 3 flags already taken, now I'm one of the first to enter.

For preparing USB: My win8 setup allowed me to download and create a USB, don't know Rufus and why it's not working for you. Maybe instead of NTFS use FAT32 for formatting.

Manufacturers do test eachothers equipment among each other. However, do not forget they have a commercial stake as well. You should check on internet to find out what works.

OK for programs re-installation : I'll have to choose which one I want on my new PC to download them again.

For USB booting, FAT32 formatting is for .iso images using 'isolinux' and for UEFI destination system, as is saying Rufus. I don't really know what it means.
I could format and prepare my USB drive with Win 7 too, without warning. But same result with the 2 methods: 'Press any key to boot from USB' and black screen with white cursor, nothing else !
So Rufus knows it won't run and Windows doesn't !...
I really don't want to give more money to Microsoft !...

Manufacturers do test eachothers equipment among each other. However, do not forget they have a commercial stake as well. You should check on internet to find out what works.
I can't believe it's only a question of commercial stake. And that's what I'm doing : checking on internet what works !
G.Skill is not the cheapest but maybe the best, with lifetime warranty and gives a lot of models that would work with my MB. So, I will trust them !

F#cking Asus hotline, with its vocal answerphone who tells me to contact them via their website : so many info required !!...

Now, I'm on F3-2133C10Q-16GZM (130€) and a Cooler Master Seidon 120M (30€) ...
I may only get 1 F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR (55€)... for my daughter's computer, the one I'm using now but in the smaller green case, with only the 500GB HDD and, surely, a used cheap 120GB SSD !

@waxxzer : how much have you paid for your SSD, if it's not too indiscreet, to compare with French prices (~110€ for 840 EVO 250GB, I've paid 88 !) ?

I'm wondering too about my set-up changing and Win 8 installation.
I should better wait to use my new set-up (before the end of the week I hope !) and then, try to install Win 8 on the SSD, shouldn't I !?
Furthermore, my new MB is UEFI !...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread