Advices to upgrade a computer needed !

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Re: Re : Advices to upgrade a computer needed !

Now, I know my MB can run PCIe 2.0.
And I've been able to get over 50 FPS with BF4 on the NRU server.
So till my old 4 cores AMD CPU is not dead, I'd better invest in a better (Nvidia) GPU.

Can I run a PCIe 3.0 GPU with my PCIe 2.0 MB ?
Can I hope less CPU over-heating with better RAM or may I invest too in a water-cooling system?

i wouldnt invest in a watercooling system(too expensive rather buy new components) and the ram wont make the cpu coolers (as far as i know)

Frame rate will also depend on your monitor refresh/sync rate rather than just a FPS number. I have an i5/GTX670 combination and can run at ultra settings and get steady 60fps and sometimes more. The monitor has a fast refresh rate but syncs at about 60. Whilst the eye candy on ultra is nice I have found running at medium settings (on BF4) seems to be better for playing TDM and similar game formats with FPS about 100. For big more tactical maps I've found FPS less import generally so high gives a good compromise setting as detail in the distance can be more useful. Obviously going to vary on the set-up you have/get and your style of play and preferences.

i have a 144hz montior :D

Your really feel the difference that everything feels smoother ;) aiming gets easier ^^ (cs pros all play with 144hz :D)

i play pretty much every game on medium to low cause i forget how pretty a game looks after 5 minutes and then every game looks the same :D

Re : Advices to upgrade a computer needed !

OMG ! Now, the monitor is involved !!!...
It's a Samsung 2253LW - 2ms - 60Hz, as old as my CPU !!!

My current set-up is, curiously and much to my delight, close to be satisfying for me.
As I said: yesterday, I've played at BF4 with 50-60 FPS, often less, rarely more (80 when I was taking alone the D flag on Parcels Storm !), of course in all low settings, with 6 players on the server !
That's why I'm thinking about getting only better GPU and RAM to see improvements with my old set-up.
I could use them, if it is not enough, with a new MB and CPU.

Now I've seen the cpuboss ranking, I just feel like laughing at AMD CPUs !...
But, I'll have to ask my wife how reasonable I have to be !

What is your MB glen ? Is it a PCIe 3.0 one ?

P.S.: it would be great to have our set-up on our profile ...

Last edited:

OMG ! Now, the monitor is involved !!!...
It's a Samsung 2253LW - 2ms - 60Hz, as old as my CPU !!!

My current set-up is, curiously and much to my delight, close to be satisfying for me.
As I said: yesterday, I've played at BF4 with 50-60 FPS, often less, rarely more (80 when I was taking alone the D flag on Parcels Storm !), of course in all low settings, with 6 players on the server !
That's why I'm thinking about getting only better GPU and RAM to see improvements with my old set-up.
I could use them, if it is not enough, with a new MB and CPU.

Now I've seen the cpuboss ranking, I just feel like laughing at AMD CPUs !...
But, I'll have to ask my wife how reasonable I have to be !

What is your MB glen ? Is it a PCIe 3.0 one ?

P.S.: it would be great to have our set-up on our profile ...

cpu doesnt really matter with modern gaming as long as you dont use a single core from 2000 ;)

main "work" is done by your GPU

i dont know how bad the difference is with an old pci e version ;) maybe somebody can answer that or you google it

Been hearing some good things about G-Sync but lack of and the cost of those that are coming out at the moment makes it a wait and see. Seems to be better than Ultra HD.

So you mean I should get only a better GPU (such as a GTX760, that is a PCIe 3.0 but will run on PCIe 2.0 ... twice lower !) and RAM.
I will see if there are improvements.
I'm closed to have steady 60FPS in BF4, so I don't think I have to get a complete upgrade !

So you mean I should get only a better GPU (such as a GTX760, that is a PCIe 3.0 but will run on PCIe 2.0 ... twice lower !) and RAM.
I will see if there are improvements.
I'm closed to have steady 60FPS in BF4, so I don't think I have to get a complete upgrade !

easiest way it is to try a better gpu. if this works well ok, if not you need more upgrade.

i would do it as laka says i have a gtx 660 and still works fine even for new games i can play at least on middle with good framerate

but 760 is the better choice - 660 is quite outdated and old gpus dont seem to get any cheaper ;)

What exactly you want to pay we dont know ;) but i think the x60s of nvidia are a good middleclass solution :D

(just had a quick look didnt find a mainboard with your CPU socket and pcie 3 ... correct me if im wrong )

I could pay a lot thanks to the money my wife has inherited ! And I can have 20% reduction in a computer french store (Cybertek) thanks to a neighbour of my cousin.
But I want to be reasonable : I'm not a pro-gamer !
But I'm looking for Intel and GTX rather than AMD and Radeon !...

This kind of GPU is the most expensive part in a set-up.

You're right Steffos : PCIe 3.0 is available since 2010 and my CPU (and his socket technology) is 2 years older !

GTX 760 4GB (215€~170£) or GTX 770 2GB (249€~200£)

I will surely have to fidget, as parafant said, and cut out some 3.5" slots !...

I'm looking too for a bigger screen (24", the largest my desk can receive !) with more than 60Hz ;) , surely a used one ! (But without 3D google !...)

For the RAM, my MB can support 1600MHz OC non-ECC, unbuffered.
Cybertek is not very interesting with RAM, even with 20% off. I'll probably buy them to an online store (Cdiscount), which the warehouse is 30Km far from my home and which I was sometimes delivering when I was a truck driver ! But I still have to pay full shipping costs !...
GSkill RipJawsX, G.Skill Sniper, Crucial Ballistix Sport XT, Kingston, Corsair, ...
All 2x4Go for ~75€ ! Some are optimized for Win 7, I have Win 8 ready to be installed on a SSD ... Which one !?? So many choices !!!...

For the SSD, I'll have to buy a 3.5" adaptator because I don't have 2.5" slot.
Then, my MB (again !) is only SATA II (3GB/s) whereas SSD seem to be SATA III (6GB/s) ...

I'd like to upgrade too, if it's possible, my wife's HP Pavillon g7-2315sf, running a i3 3120m 2.5GHz, and 1 slot DDR3 4Go 800MHz 11-11-11-28.
The MB is a Hewlett-Packard 1842 56.32 but I can't get significant info about what it can support.
Any ideas !? More RAM memory or more RAM frequency ? Is it possible to plug an internal SSD ?

Last edited:
i can "only" give you this info about the ssd.

I have Win 8 ready to be installed on a SSD ... Which one !?? So many choices !!!...

For the SSD, I'll have to buy a 3.5" adaptator because I don't have 2.5" slot.
Then, my MB (again !) is only SATA II (3GB/s) whereas SSD seem to be SATA III (6GB/s) ...

take a samsung 840 evo. i am running 3 of them and never have any issues with them and i "read" only good things about that. at the moment they are really cheap. 250GB should be a bit over 100€ and a 120gb around 70.-€.
i would prefer the 250gb because you can install windows and the origin with all the game on it. 120gb could be a bit small because you need around 40gb alone for windows and my battlefield serie on origin takes also nearly 60gb.

to the 3gb sata...its still fucking fast even it runs not on 6gb lol

Samsung 840 Evo ! Exactly the one I have spotted !

What about used GPU !?
There is a Gainward GeForce GTX 770 Phantom 2 Go for ~200€ !...
... requiring, at least, 500W PSU : mine is 520W ! Will it be OK for the rest of the components !?...

if you get a cheap used one i would always buy it and the 770 is a nice card. i´m running a 760 with 2gb and its more as enough to play bf4 in mostly high settings.

only the psu is a bit tricky. it will be run but could be that it shut off at some point. but you never know and you have to try that.

For a power supply consider the SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER. 1500w may be more than you need but when you need to arc weld something you will be ready for it! :)

Plus no need for heating either! Win win all the way!

I have a 750w Corsair power supply which has been reliable. Just wanted a bit of extra headroom with six SSDs/HDDs :)

So, you think it's not too risky to buy a used GTX 770 !? I can get one (or 2 !?) for ~200€ ! Who wants the other one !??...

And I've seen too a complete PC running a GTX770 with a 520W PSU !...

I will never need so many electric power, mostly to these prices ! Even my radiators are not so powerful !!!...
I could even plug the coffee maker, the micro-waves oven and a USB warming-cup !!!!...

It's not on E-Bay, so, there's no resort !... excepted my hunting rifles...

What I am seriously thinking about (my wife is crazy !...) :
- Asus Z97M-Plus : 129.99€
- i5 4690k 6Mo 3.5GHz : 235.99€
- MSI GTX 770 2Go OC TF : 310.99€
- Liyama GB2488HSU-B1 24" 1ms 144Hz : 279.99€
- Samsung 840 Evo : 108.99€
- Cooler Master ATX 750 Watts VSM750 80+ Gold : 109.99€
Sum : 1175.94 - 20% (235.19) = 940.75€~751£

- 2 x 4Go Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 2133MHz 9-11-11-31 : 87.99€

How important the chipset is ?

How many FPS can I hope on BF4 ?... How many €uro$ per FPS !!!???....

Last edited:
nice setup but i can understand your wife lol

i am mostly going that way that i test and buy my parts one after one. so i can see how my "old" part handle my requirements and i am not going to waste my money for part they still works well. also a 120hz monitor is brilliant but just for gaming a bit over the top lol

guess you can run bf4 around 40-60FPS in highest settings on a full server because bf4 is a powerhungry bitch.

OMG ! Do you have to run a GTX 780 to get over 60 FPS !!?? (That's why it is required 3GB GPU memory !...)

Since I'm talking about that, I didn't buy all, even if I can afford it for the moment.
I have the same thoughts as you about old stuff still working. (But putting a 2014 new Porsche engine in a 1970 old Porsche chassis is not the best way as well !...)
My 6yo daughter could inherit my old set-up, even if a laptop would be better for her studies (and her bedroom space occupation) ... in 10 years !...
Or I could give it to my cousin's child ...
My AM3 socket set-up and my 512Ko 3GHz CPU are outdated !

Then, an "I don't know where it comes from" used GTX 770 is 200€ and I can have a new warranted one for ~250€ ... By the way, I should pay a new GTX 780 for 300€ ... with my Athlon II X4 640 !!!
(Today, a Asus GTX 770 for 200€, in my town !...)
The most expensive in my "dreaming" set-up are MB and CPU, CPU choosen with the CPUBoss ranking ! (GPU is not cheap too !..)
I know an AMD set-up would be half the price ! (Asus A88XM-Plus : 58.4€ + AMD A10 7700k 3.8Ghz Black Edition : 123.2€ = 181.6€ !!!)
But now, from what I've read since I'm looking for infos, I think AMD CPU have to run very fast (high frequency) to be more or less (... less) good as an Intel one, and so, they have to use more electric power ! And so, creating more heating !...
I'm used to having my computer switched on for more than 12 hours a day !
A SSD would change my life's computer as I could switch off and on as soon as I want to pee ! (It have to change my habits !)

How many FPS does your little son play BF4 with, with his old generation but good performance Athlon 750 !?
What is your set-up laka !?

I don't know what to do to be more reasonable !? Lower chipset, CPU !? Used GPU, monitor !?

Last edited:

OMG ! Do you have to run a GTX 780 to get over 60 FPS !!?? (That's why it is required 3GB GPU memory !...)

Since I'm talking about that, I didn't buy all, even if I can afford it for the moment.
I have the same thoughts as you about old stuff still working. (But putting a 2014 new Porsche engine in a 1970 old Porsche chassis is not the best way as well !...)
My 6yo daughter could inherit my old set-up, even if a laptop would be better for her studies (and her bedroom space occupation) ... in 10 years !...
Or I could give it to my cousin's child ...
My AM3 socket set-up and my 512Ko 3GHz CPU are outdated !

Then, an "I don't know where it comes from" used GTX 770 is 200€ and I can have a new warranted one for ~250€ ... By the way, I should pay a new GTX 780 for 300€ ... with my Athlon II X4 640 !!!
(Today, a Asus GTX 770 for 200€, in my town !...)
The most expensive in my "dreaming" set-up are MB and CPU, CPU choosen with the CPUBoss ranking ! (GPU is not cheap too !..)
I know an AMD set-up would be half the price ! (Asus A88XM-Plus : 58.4€ + AMD A10 7700k 3.8Ghz Black Edition : 123.2€ = 181.6€ !!!)
But now, from what I've read since I'm looking for infos, I think AMD CPU have to run very fast (high frequency) to be more or less (... less) good as an Intel one, and so, they have to use more electric power ! And so, creating more heating !...
I'm used to having my computer switched on for more than 12 hours a day !
A SSD would change my life's computer as I could switch off and on as soon as I want to pee ! (It have to change my habits !)

How many FPS does your little son play BF4 with, with his old generation but good performance Athlon 750 !?
What is your set-up laka !?

I don't know what to do to be more reasonable !? Lower chipset, CPU !? Used GPU, monitor !?

to play the game on HIGHEST SETTINGS

i play the game with around 150 fps with almost lowest settings and a 660

Users who are viewing this thread