A Long Story

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
A-XMP yes enabled, and the ram is set at 3600 but it is not achievable, it default sets at 1800 and AMD supports up to 2400 0r 2600 for now, It says 3600 it looks like 3600 but that is not the true value, anyway it is very stable as I have it now. It does like the cold and overclocks better at first switch on so next purchase bigger radiator. While tinkering I ended up overclocking my 60hz monitor too from 60 to 67hz :banghead: :ROFLMAO:

The Problem is, if you had the wrong X570 board, you can´t run 3600MHz.
Not all X570 Boards support this RAM.

Tinkering over (for now) all running 100% perfect.
After all tests and trials have the CPU OC running @ 4375Mhz (all round sweet spot), can reach 4500Mhz with 3 of the 8 cores but want them all the same + 100% stable.
The 3600Mhz ram was defaulting @1800Mhz which is 1800x2= 3600Mhz which is right. I was setting it to 3600 so x2 = 7200Mhz, no wonder it wasnt having it. Now overclocked and running @ 3800Mhz
so stable it could prob do better but its enough as it is. 2x12v and 2x5v RGB loops on motherboard software controlled but using an external 5v remote controlled system much more versatile and looks great.
Still cant understand why Im getting better benchmarks with this chip at 4375Mhz than I was with the FX8350 which was running 4500Mhz on same all 8 cores but hey !!
BF4 tests, full load CPU @ 61C idle @ <40C flawless.
BF4 gameplay, I have noticed that Im still dying just as much as before which goes to prove there was nothing wrong with the computer and Im just shit at the game and now I know for sure :love: :ROFLMAO::LOL: :ROFLMAO::LOL::tbag:

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo
One thing I have wondered is how much difference having a machine thats performance is at the high end of the range compares to that in the middle or lower range. Most PCs I have built have tended to be in the middle. Same goes for the graphics side too does having 4K and a fast refresh rate make a difference to actually playing rather than just looking pretty.

with a multiplayer game you are never going to be able to benchmark it or duplicate a situation for comparison and it is likely to be a very subjective process too.

Glad you got everything working as it should.

One good example my monitor is 60hz so it refreshes 60 times a second. I can get 100+fps from my 1080ti but in real terms the monitor will turn that to 60fps, do you see what I mean ? so have capped the graphics to 60fps, a little more than 60 is ok but a lot more is pointless.

That 60hz applies to me too but without the fancy processor. 😁

i was just wondering if you do have a super dooper PC does it help your gameplay. If you were an average player would it give some advantage having say 200hz monitor and top of range processor etc. If you spent 1k and upgraded to a 10k PC apart from looking prettier do you get anything else?

Obviously for multi-threading applications the processor and GPU should give a significant speed improvements.

To tell you the truth Glen between this setup and the old one I cant tell the difference, BF4 looks and feels exactly the same, the only time I noticed some difference was when I changed from using 2 R9 280Xs graphics cards in crossfire to one 1080ti and even then not that much. When I run that cinebench stress test it does it quicker. The numbers are different but in real terms its the same. I still think the fx8350 a better chip.
I see this as putting your foot down on a Ferrari and it answers "ooh ooh be gentle with me" and with the fx8350 "come on get on with it". Im gonna get stick over this but thats exactly how it is :giggle:

Maybe BFV and future games would show a bigger difference as BF4 is relatively old now. I really should have a look at what PCs and chips are available. I used to be up to date with them but now when I see people saying a particular chip is good they may as well be saying blah blah blah blah. 😄

As I posted somewhere Im making my own waterblock/s to my own design and have started. Ordered a pure copper slab 100x50x8mm, cut it in half and now 2 50x50x8mm baseplates. Both lapped to about 90%, one is polished and will lap again when the fins have been cut. Waiting on some diamond cutting wheels. One will be a standard fin design the other will be different with a possible 30% improvement in efficency (a bit secret), when done will then nickel plate them both and compare. Will keep posting the progression. Here is a pic of my starting point.
Could be a long time with my workrate :giggle:

IMG 1805

What are you using to lap them? Interested to know so I can be jealous. 😁

I we had more room (or my wife didn’t use the garage to store her 1k+ books) I would really like to have:

Drill press
Table saw
Lathe
Laser CNC cutter
3d printer(s)
Sander
Band saw

🤣

What are you using to lap them? Interested to know so I can be jealous. 😁

I we had more room (or my wife didn’t use the garage to store her 1k+ books) I would really like to have:

Drill press
Table saw
Lathe
Laser CNC cutter
3d printer(s)
Sander
Band saw

🤣
yeah sure as if you had just one of each...

No special trick to lapping, flat glass and elbow grease. I use a mirror as it is hard to see if the glass is distorted, with a mirror glass it is easy to see distortion. 180 grit dry sanding to get it flat (was gauged the copper initially) then 240 grit dry to get rid of marks of the 180g, wet 600, 800, 1200 and last 2500. Block on the left took just under 2 hours, the one on the right nearly 4h. After cutting the fins will lap again with up to 5000/7000 grit before plating.
Tools....I'd like those above too.
I have a miniature lathe that turns to drill press/mill had for about 50 years.

Well, it is obvious you would have more than one of each tool. Changing drill bits is so hard.

Surprised they don’t have recharging batteries yet as chucking a £100 drill away when it goes flat is wasteful. 🤣

To give you an idea on the size of the lathe next to a full size keyboard

IMG 1806

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: glenwilson
Pure engineering magic, best is a 43min video but this one is just 5mins, the impossible possible
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

• Wow
Reactions: We4re0ne

Users who are viewing this thread