Movie Corner

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
blugi21

blugi21

Crazy, mad, insane!
NRU Member
17 Jan 2021
Rauma, Finland
There dont seem to be a thread about movies so here is one. You can talk here anything about movies that comes to mind.

Yesterday went to the theater with my sister and saw The Northman. There was no one else in the theater so it was like a private show to us. 😁

The Northman is a viking story directed by Robert Eggers (The VVitch, Lighthouse) and he has become known for his atmospheric movies. This movie is no exception as it kept me captivated from start to finish with its viking mythology and awesome scenes. Alexander Skarsgård did an excellent work as main character (damn he is jacked up in this role) and so did other actors. Maybe only gripe i have about this movie is its plot which is another basic revenge story BUT with a simple plot the movie can much better concentrate on showing the mythology and life of vikings. The movie shows them so well and interestingly with details that i did not mind about the simple plot at all. And yes its a Viking movie so off course there is blood and gore! 😎

I truly recommend this movie, specially if you have any interest in viking mythology! ^^

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good idea for a thread.

My recommendation would be "Silence of the Hams". Meant to be a spoof movie but is so bad it remains bad.

Wife wanted to see the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings again. Watched one so far and my 100% record remains intact. I have never been able to stay awake through any of them!

Been mainly re-watching older films as most of the new ones don't seem that original. Also quite shallow in our choice prefering action/adventure or thriller genres. Horror films just seem to be gory for the sake of it.

I have never been able to stay awake through any of them!
Joe Biden Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Good idea for a thread.

My recommendation would be "Silence of the Hams". Meant to be a spoof movie but is so bad it remains bad.
Looks interestingly weird. Putting on watch list.
Wife wanted to see the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings again. Watched one so far and my 100% record remains intact. I have never been able to stay awake through any of them!
I love those movies but i can understand that they can get little boring at times as they are long and having slow portions. 😁
Been mainly re-watching older films as most of the new ones don't seem that original. Also quite shallow in our choice prefering action/adventure or thriller genres. Horror films just seem to be gory for the sake of it.
I've also been watching some older movies out of interest. Lastly been watching the 4 first Godzilla movies (gonna watch them all) and original DUNE. Its interesting to see how movies was made back in the day and how they evolve through time. Next ones on my watch list is all of the Friday the 13th franchise. Total 12 movies from 1980 to 2009. ^^

Reactions: Riot_co
I don't dislike or hate the Hobbit/LoR but they really do feel too stretched out. Almost the opposite for Star Wars, the characters and storyline never feels filled out. They end and you feel as though you did sleep through bits or you missed something.

Have been working our way through these series

Bonds
Mission Impossibles
Die Hards
Star Wars (some for the first time)
Star Treks

Reactions: blugi21 and Riot_co
Honestly, I just cannot stay awake through them. I just find them boring. If they cut it down to 90 minutes it would be OK (maybe). :D
During the Return of the King, I cry exactly 3 times. Now I need to add another one when I start thinking about this comment :D It hurts way too much

• Wow
Reactions: Riot_co and blugi21
I too like to watch movies a second (or third etc !), could be almost anything but usually > 10 years since I saw them (so could be a movie from the 90s or 80s or…). It’s quite interesting that some of these are negative and some positive surprises compared to my expectation/memory of the first viewing.

Some tips (none very exotic):

”The green book” - sad, funny and excellent

”Michael Clayton” - fine thriller starring George Clooney

”Good bye Lenin” - hilarious about the changes after the wall came down

”Unknown” - Liam Neeson has done lots of action films but this one is more of a thriller/action and a good one IMHO

I don't dislike or hate the Hobbit/LoR but they really do feel too stretched out. Almost the opposite for Star Wars, the characters and storyline never feels filled out. They end and you feel as though you did sleep through bits or you missed something.

Have been working our way through these series

Bonds
Mission Impossibles
Die Hards
Star Wars (some for the first time)
Star Treks
You should add:
  • Terminator,
  • Predator,
  • Alien,
  • Jaws,
  • Jurassic Parc series...

I too like to watch movies a second (or third etc !), could be almost anything but usually > 10 years since I saw them (so could be a movie from the 90s or 80s or…). It’s quite interesting that some of these are negative and some positive surprises compared to my expectation/memory of the first viewing.

Some tips (none very exotic):

”The green book” - sad, funny and excellent

”Michael Clayton” - fine thriller starring George Clooney

”Good bye Lenin” - hilarious about the changes after the wall came down

”Unknown” - Liam Neeson has done lots of action films but this one is more of a thriller/action and a good one IMHO
Have not seen any of these. Putting on list

I See Writing GIF by PBS

Another one with George Clooney, ”The descendants” - also funny, sad and excellent actors:

Reactions: dcyper
Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City (Movie from a game serie)

Not sure how to start with this one.....

The previous RE films were not well depicting the game series it got the idea from and overall the movies were bad. Maybe Ok entertainment when having some beers and shutting your brains out, gotta admit though. The first two films were somewhat going with the actual RE plot but after that....... Some pointings and specifics to the game but overall it just forget the core where it came from.

Then comes this movie. It has nothing to do with previous W S Andersons movie saga and so kinda giving a restart. It was promising that "this time we are paying respect to the games". Oh boy......!

The movie includes the story of RE1 and RE2 simultaneously, so going through the start of the zombie apocalypse in raccoon city. Why they did not include RE0 in the story, you might ask and sadly i dont know. Cramping two storyliness in one
was clearly too much for a 107min movie and after the slow start so much stupid shit happened in short time.

Im a RE (games) fan myself and was looking forward to this movie. The promise of respecting the original games can be somewhat seen in the backround and the base plot but other than that was f*cked up really badly. Actors have no resemplance to the original characters and their actions and motivations were nowhere near of the chars we have grown to like. Most bizarre is the thing they did to Leon who in this movie is a drunken lame idiot who shoots other polices in the ass and is a comical relief.... What the actual fuck? People who has played the games knows who Leon really is. Not this.... Thing. The same continues with other characters aswell as they are not what they were in the games.

The movie had small budget and it had kinda like the OG RE (B movie) cutscene vibes in the cinematography and i really tried to like it. Movie implements lots of easter eggs from the games and some are well made BUT mostly they just felt stupid and in wrong place. "Itchy, tasty" and "jill sandwitch" are the first fuck ups to comes to my mind at the moment. Those two are quite big things in the RE community and they fucked up them really bad. RE of course has some monster and zombies and they are also badly made. Some practical effects were nice but CGI was really bad and it was tried to be covered up by dark scenes.

Heh it seems i started ranting on this one so i cut it now. 😁

I do not recommend this movie. If you are a RE fan you will most likely be pissed of through out the movie and if you are a novice to RE then its still a really bad zombie B movie.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Next im gonna watch Uncharted. Another movie based on games and we all know they often arent so good. I love the games serie myself so lets see how the movie holds up! ^^

Reactions: Eveto-Veader
Couple of films that we were late to but did enjoy are:

The Monuments Men
Finch
Bridge of Spies
Captain Phillips

Watched a few of the newer Disney/Pixar films that have been Ok and only watched because we had a sub.

Went to see Mary Poppins (original) when I was a kid and fell asleep!
We also went to see 2001 when it was released on the big screen at Leicester Square and didn't really understand it (not sure that has changed 😁).

Users who are viewing this thread