Getting A Newer Car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Whilst waiting for the car to be serviced/tested I was so was looking at potential replacements for it....

Our current car has started to get a few creaks and rattles. It is a Mondeo that has done 136,000 miles in a little over 10 years. The previous car was also a Mondeo and that did over 170,000 miles in about 10 years! Obviously it isn't comparable to the current models in terms of refinement and equipment. I have a budget of about £10k and the only other requirements are that it should be easy to get into because of my dodgy knees. Obviously a Lamborghini badge would be nice and the latest Ford Focus RS too.

There are a few cars I can remove from the list regardless of budget. The Nissan Juke is one. I'm with Richard Hammond on this as I think they are appalling looking. My wife thinks a yellow coloured one is nice. I have booked an appointment with the optician for her. Even when I was doing car photography I hated doing them. I tried refusing...

A car purchase is often led by the heart rather than being objective but I'm being open minded with manufacturer and type of cars. Looking at a selection of cars has meant that we could save about £1k a year on running costs getting something newer. Size and fuel type will have an affect but based on current driving savings could be between £1k and £1.4k a year.

Not been for any test drives yet as I haven't really got a short list. I'm sure it is easier to compare and find a new partner on a dating site than buying a car! At least a with a new partner you can narrow the choice down quite quick with a simple checklist!

1. Meets preferred orientation.
2. Find them attractive looking
3. Compatibility (discovered during the running-in period)
4. Suitable for a short or long term relationship
5. Fuel economy (a super model should be cheap to run as food bills will be low)
6. Running costs

Cars are harder as you have to make your choice and you can't dump them after a couple of weeks and get another one to try!

1. Price
2. Compatibility
3. Fuel economy
4. Looks attractive
5. Colour (not something that matters on a person)
6. Suitable for a long term relationship (purchase) or one night stand (rental car)
7. Long term running costs
8. High WAF (wife acceptance factor) or HAF (Husband acceptance factor)

Reactions: tousledmonkey31
I'd suggest something that doesn't have exhaust pipe issues :ROFLMAO::nailbiting:.

Well diesel, save on fuel plus tax but you'll need to be doing plenty of mileage if its got a DPF filter fitted.
Don't even think of one if its only doing short stints you'll wind up having the DPF regenerated.

Honda very reliable
Volkswagen also a good car
Audi german build quality say no more
Skoda Is Volkswagen

Hi Andy! How are you doing!

Had been thinking of diesel but for the mileage we do now - about 12k a year - the fuel cost isn't a huge factor. Most driving is short trips of about 5 miles or so and then epic tours of about 1500 miles. Need to learn about diesel more I think! AS the car has got passed the MOT it gives me more time to look and choose. We want to drive to Germany in September and the Mondeo is OK but you start to get that will it make it on longer runs! :)

The exhaust thing is OK now. It was a faulty batch - getting a genuine Ford part has solved it. This time it is springs! The roads in Edinburgh are appalling (the picture below is a genuine Edinburgh pothole) and I'm pretty sure that is what the problem has been. Hit one and there was a guy in it asking if I had a travel visa for it! Car passed MOT apart from two springs that need replacing on Thursday!

The exhaust thing is OK now. Flowers in pothole

When does the wife pick up her glasses? The Juke is a pile o' crap and smaller inside than ye soon realise... Doesn't help that I'm a fat fucker either but anyway...

Only cocks drive Audi's, probably explains why I want to get one eventually. And I found it easier to get a car than I have getting a new missus too, granted it is an 04 plate Laguna I'm driving these days.

Diesel the better option, wish I still had my vitara just for that. I presume you're looking at vehicles that give you a higher ride height, preferably one that doesn't like or remind you of a juke? Or those cactus things Citroen are churning out these days.

And that pothole is rather tame, should try travelling further north, soon see what a pothole is, lol.

When does the wife pick up her glasses? The Juke is a pile o' crap and smaller inside than ye soon realise... Doesn't help that I'm a fat fucker either but anyway...

Only cocks drive Audi's, probably explains why I want to get one eventually. And I found it easier to get a car than I have getting a new missus too, granted it is an 04 plate Laguna I'm driving these days.

Diesel the better option, wish I still had my vitara just for that. I presume you're looking at vehicles that give you a higher ride height, preferably one that doesn't like or remind you of a juke? Or those cactus things Citroen are churning out these days.

And that pothole is rather tame, should try travelling further north, soon see what a pothole is, lol.

Yes something with a higher entry. I can get in the likes of a Fiesta, Gallardo but getting out is literally painful. That cactus is a real what the hell were they thinking (name and the car).

I learnt to drive in the fiesta, probably get away wi' a 3 door model myself. I had a grand vitara before the laguna, getting in and out was alright, just had to get a seatbelt extender due to my bein' a fat fucker. That and when going round a corner at speed, always had the impression it'd topple over at some point.

What about a Ford S-MAX, or something similar in the Ford range?

I will need to test drive for sure. Had a Grand Vitara as a courtesy car and that was agony to drive (I have long legs). Also tried a Land Rover defender which was a laugh. With size 14 (UK) feet I couldn't drive it at all as pressed all three pedals at once. Most Alfa Romeos would have to have a sun roof for my head to stick out.

Focus and Mondeo are OK. S-Max I quite like but are a bit big for what we need. Hondas feel a bit cozy as do Toyotas. Nissan Quashqi is OK. Garage owner said avoid Vauxhalls. The small, turbocharged eco engines are ok but can chew through turbos.

I think I may choose a colour and work from there! Thanks for suggestions though.
--- Post updated ---
TWIZY | Electric | Renault UK

I've had a go in one of these and they are actually not too bad for a short commute or shopping run. The only thing that worries me is what it is like going up hill. We live on top of a hill so going out is fine but getting back... Second hand you can get them for £3k.

What gradient is the hill? Would probably hit the battery a lot maybe? Also if you go second hand, I presume that you don't pay Renault £45 per month for the battery rental?

This is one of the original reviews I've seen. There is another one somewhere, highlighting how quiet it is when they drive up next to someone and start speaking to them.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hill is about 1.5 miles steady climb. Most buses usually get about 10mph going up the hill. So the Twizy + fat git probably means pushing it up the hill on the way home.

You still have to lease the battery too.

Right, so a tow rope to back of said bus then lol, saves power, and also no pushing required. That rental doesn't really make it cost effective, although I understand the need for it, why be stuck with an older battery when there's a better one available. Charging is cheap, £1 apparently.

If I lived in a town then I would definitely consider it. They are easy to drive and you don't feel too vulnerable in them. Ideal for nipping to the shops for a daily shop or a shortish commute to work.

Hmmm a new car is like a new level in the game on the streets :D

I would actually suggest a regular fuel car over a diesel.
First, recent motors are very fuel efficient and the fuel is not so much more expensive.
The car price is a bit lower and the car is a bit lighter (not a big issue actually)
I drive a diesel at 25-30k kilometers a year and mostly distances over 50km, so it's feasible for me, but with shorter trips the engine suffers if you don't warm it up to operating temperature. Regular engines are less sensitive to not completely warm them up each trip. Fuel price vs. higher cost have a break even point of around 15k km/year, depending on how you drive.

Btw don't get a Ford imho. I had a few different Fords as rentals in the US and in Germany when my car was in repair and I didn't have a good impression. Very unstable driving, cheap parts, sloppy assembly sometimes. I drive Audi, very nice and comfortable, but if you have a problem you pay a shitload of money :( I have better experience with Volvo (my dad drives Volvo for around 20 years now), but also Skoda, Volkswagen and Seat make good and affordable cars with a nice price/value balance. VW is more expensive but they have a very clever interieur and are fun to drive.

Check the history of the car. All repairs done in time? Any accidents? All electronic gadgets actually working? Scratches, dents? You name it, and you probably know all the points to check already.

I am curious what your desicion will be! If you have questions shout them out! :D

Had a few fords and the have generally been OK. This Mondeo has done, 136k miles and the previous one did 175k miles without too many issues. The only VW I had was a Mk2 Golf GTi - did 66k miles in two years with that with no trouble at all.

Driven Quashqi, three Jeep shite things, Ford Escape/Kuga, Kia Sportage, Dodge Charger as rental cars all left hand drive and I only liked the Charger and Escape driving positions. Maybe right hand drive would be OK (except for Jeeps which I hate regardless.

Speaking to the guy who owns the garage I get servicing done, said avoid Vauxhall/GM but in a less polite way than that! They do servicing on all sorts of cars including Porsche, BMW and so on so has a decent experience.

I would like a 4x4. I know we only get proper snow occasionally but too often we get slush and it is impossible to get back to home! So my short list would Gallardo LP460-4, 2016 Focus RS, Ford Kuga, or Dacia Duster. :) With 2wd then Focus, Golf, and a few others could be included. Had a ride in a neighbour's Duster the other day and it was actually OK even though it had done about 45k miles. They have had no problems with it and other people around here have said the same. Compared to the trouble my neighbour has had with both of their Evoques.

Now the car has been serviced and MOTed there isn't an urgency - was anticipating a larger service bill. Need to get out and have look and test drive some cars...

U need to get u a Passat 1.8T or 2.0T good car low cost on parts low cost on fuel miles so get one

May i recommend this one:

Dick-car.jpeg

Reactions: glenwilson
U need to get u a Passat 1.8T or 2.0T good car low cost on parts low cost on fuel miles so get one

Had looked at the Passat but most of the decent examples around here are about £10k and have about 60k miles. Would also prefer a hatchback to the estate version. I know VW engines are long-lived but would prefer something with less miles at that sort of price. I need to start creating a proper list of possibles and narrowing it down from there.

Reactions: Eliton
Getting rid of the Mondeo on Wednesday. Got £250 for it!

A little sad to get rid of it as we have had lots of god trips in it across Europe (France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands) and has carried a lot of beer, cheese, sausages, breads and croissants. But there are too many creaks and groans going on that would need to be fixed before embarking on another tour in September.

RIP Mondeo.... so we can say "lot of beer, cheese, sausages, breads and croissants" killed him :D

That is probably true. I think it is about 450l beer, 25kg cheese, 25kg sausages and about 100l wine in about 8 trips to the continent. Mileage is about 137500 or 220,000km. Still getting over 35miles to the gallon (or 8.1l per 100km for you foreign folk :) ).

Users who are viewing this thread