Getting A Newer Car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Impressions of the concert this night can't be send because my cell phone recorded it in mp4-format... Was the best concert I saw in my life after Pearl Jam.
But it's a really tired day now. :)
Don't no why I don't like BMW or Mercedes. It's just the design. Too round edges.
I like it more Lego look-like: Audi Or Volvo.
Glen did you think about searching for a Skoda Octavia?

I really like the audi's Bruce A3 A4 A6 avant think I might save my money for a future Audi, never went out to buy a BMW or even thought of buying one it was in the right place at the right time I guess. Also nice choice Glen the dacia duster

Of the Merc/BMW/Audi I prefer the looks of BMW. Didn't look at the Skoda Octavia but did have a look at the Yeti as an option. The trouble is the cost of a low mileage one was well outside of my budget. Also had a look at others in the VW group and prices were all out of budget.

With the Duster I get two years of servicing, space is fine, easy to get in/out of and reasonably economical, insurance is half and tax is also half. Should be saving about £1k a year over the Mondeo.

Photos: I have added a reversing camera (which is being a bastard as it worked fine but then stoped - power cable was the problem) and screen in a rear view mirror. Was going to go for sensors but the beeping... SatNav mount - only place you can put it as there are few places on the dash that are not curved and I don't like things stuck to the windscreen (apart from GoPro cam which for me is behind the mirror). The radio works OK but is a pig to use especially with an iPod - impossible to use when driving. Also the the USB and AUX sockets are on it which means cables in the way. Looking at changing the head unit at some point - there are some reasonable Android devices that should be easier to operate. Probably upgrade the speakers as they are awful - even some costing about £30 a pair will be better than the ones installed.
IMG 2720 IMG 2721 Fullsizeoutput ac1 IMG 2724

I really like the audi's Bruce A3 A4 A6 avant think I might save my money for a future Audi, never went out to buy a BMW or even thought of buying one it was in the right place at the right time I guess. Also nice choice Glen the dacia duster

Hi Andy -hope you are doing well!

Any cars I really want/like definitely need the sale of a few body parts and some! Apart from the Focus RS or the new Renault Alpine there are not really any cars that really excite me and are potentially affordable. The village I live in must have about 10 Dusters, then you get into the Range Rovers. We get snow whenever they say "on the high ground". We had some last week and it did feel a lot safer with the 4WD than the skidding other cars were doing. Plus there is now a better chance of getting home again once we have gone down the hill - too often had to walk a mile or two because nothing 2WD could make it up the hills.

Reactions: BruceWillii
OK, had the car for about 6 months now and I have been pleased with it apart from the service debacle.

Things I like:
  • Good on long journeys
  • Easier for me with my knees to get in and out of
  • Fuel economy - never expected to get near the official figures but have been consistently getting 45mpg which I am happy with.
  • Room - it isn't as big as the Mondeo boot wise but it does the job and the recent trip in Europe was fine.
Not so good:
  • Some of the interior is just poor design - nowhere flat area to put a cup or anything (if you are stopped).
  • Lack of storage places and cubby holes
  • Some of the interior is a little cheap (expected but still seems cheaper than needed to be)
  • The Stereo - I HATE IT :mad: It works OK, plays CDs, has Bluetooth and a USB port and sounds OK. But.... If you turn it off after playing something on the USB stick it doesn't restart it goes to a song that is in the middle of the file system and starts at that one every time! If you turn it off it restarts when you start the car regardless. If I switched it of it will turn on and that can be either the radio or the USB - no pattern to it. I really want to change it.
  • The horn - it is such a weedy asthmatic thing I would like to change it if I can find where they have hidden it!
Changes:
  • Added a reversing camera as the view rearwards when reversing isn't great. That works well.
  • Speakers - I don't know how cheap the installed ones were but they were awful. I replaced them with ones that cost £10 each and it sounds about 100x better!
  • Tinted windows (temporary) - when on holiday the car got filled with beer and other stuff which meant having the back seat down and some stuff was on show (but covered). There were some places we went where we had to leave the car and it was easy to see there was stuff in the back. After looking at many how to videos, it looked possible to tint the windows myself. Ordered the tinting film and set to work. The result from a practical point of view is good. It makes it hard with a 20% film to see in. However, the actual tinted windows were awful. I followed all the advice and it still looked shite. What nobody says is do it in an environment where there is no air movement. That film stuff is more scared of a breeze than Dracula is of garlic or mirrors! the slightest movement was used as an excuse to stick to itself. I did the rear side windows but have removed them as they did look like they had been installed by an imbecile.

Would I buy another one? Yes, I actually like it. Does what I want. :)

• Tinted windows (temporary) - when on holiday the car got filled with beer and other stuff which meant having the back seat down and some stuff was on show (but covered). There were some places we went where we had to leave the car and it was easy to see there was stuff in the back. After looking at many how to videos, it looked possible to tint the windows myself. Ordered the tinting film and set to work. The result from a practical point of view is good. It makes it hard with a 20% film to see in. However, the actual tinted windows were awful. I followed all the advice and it still looked shite. What nobody says is do it in an environment where there is no air movement. That film stuff is more scared of a breeze than Dracula is of garlic or mirrors! the slightest movement was used as an excuse to stick to itself. I did the rear side windows but have removed them as they did look like they had been installed by an imbecile.

ohh, i know what you mean. tried that once at my merc and after some really really annoying minutes is smashed all the crap into my trashcan. lol after that experience i bought some of that ones.

DACIA Sandero II/Stepway II, Typ SD, 5-door, 2013- Original SOnniboy Sonnenschutz CLI0078373AC | Sonniboy – Sonnenschutz für PKW

brilliant product but not for your dacia.

so look at this, maybe its a good option for you.
http://amzn.to/2wvdMQf
Amazon product ASIN B01CID5ZSI

ohh, i know what you mean. tried that once at my merc and after some really really annoying minutes is smashed all the crap into my trashcan. lol after that experience i bought some of that ones.

DACIA Sandero II/Stepway II, Typ SD, 5-door, 2013- Original SOnniboy Sonnenschutz CLI0078373AC | Sonniboy – Sonnenschutz für PKW

brilliant product but not for your dacia.

so look at this, maybe its a good option for you.
http://amzn.to/2wvdMQf
Amazon product ASIN B01CID5ZSI

No that is not a good option! Why? Because......

Car Shades and KiddiShades Brands - Product Reviews - UV Privacy Car Shades Set of 6 Dacia Duster 5dr 10 - Page 1

Found these and had already ordered!! :) Seen a few other people recommend them and gave them good reviews so was an ideal alternative. Getting tinting done professionally was about £160-180. I think I prefer the look of the tints and may still at some point but these look ideal for now.

Reactions: lakaelo
Got the shades and they should do the job. A quote for tinting was £120 (same in euros) which I didn't think was too bad. The screens and tinting..... :)

Users who are viewing this thread