Getting A Newer Car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
So after 137379 miles it is being retired. Hopefully somebody will get some use out of it rather than it just being broken up for parts. :cry:

It has been to eight countries around Europe. Coped with all sorts of weather.

Sad to see it go.

Attachments

• IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    768.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2664.JPG
    IMG_2664.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
if i see it right you are on a parking lot from a renault dealer. ;) so i think next one will be a dacia?

Well done Sherlock! 4WD Duster. 2.5 years old. Easy to get in and out of and seems fine to drive. I'll get some photos done tomorrow. Did think about a new one but wanted 4WD for the times we get snowed in - council not as prepared as you Europeans! :)

Looked at VW and others but nothing with low mileage that was in my price range.

Mondeo will go to auction so maybe someone will get some miles out of it.

Reactions: lakaelo
The boot is similar volume size to the Mondeo but a bit squarer. I can see you would have trouble with a few dogs (unless they were chiwawas). Find it more comfortable than Quashqi, Sportage and Jeeps though they were all left hand drive.

Had the car for a few days now and generally find it fine to drive. The only things that are slightly negative and where cost savings have been made are:
  1. The lack of storage space for "stuff". The Mondeo has a big glove box plus a cubby in the arm rest and a few other places for bits and bobs whereas the Duster has a smallish glove box and only pockets in the doors and no sunglasses holder.
  2. Fuel gauge! It has a fuel gauge made up of squares rather than a dial which shows you exactly how much fuel you have left (or not).
  3. The dash has some places where you can put stuff but nowhere flat. On the Mondeo it was easy to have places for phone, iPod, SatNav and so on.
  4. The boot is quite big but is a little smaller than the Mondeo but for most of the time it should be fine.
  5. Radio. In general it is fine but the USB and Aux in are on the front of it so you end up with wires trailing around. It has Bluetooth which works fine with the phone but not with the iPod Classic. I may look at replacing the radio unit with something touchscreen and with a reversing camera.
Things I like:
  1. So far I have found it comfortable to drive though getting used to the gears is fun.
  2. In the Mondeo I was getting a consistent 35mpg but this is already getting 48mpg after about 120 miles. Once I get used to it I feel that could get a fair bit higher.
  3. Comfortable and easier to get in and out.
Spoke to my neighbour the other day and they run a car breakers yard. This week they have had seven Mondeos, all with similar mileage and the same colour!

Overall very pleased with the choice and look forward to having a longer run and making use of the 4WD when we get snow.

After a few weeks, still happy with the car. Felt fine in the snow the other day. Installed reversing camera and mounts for phone and satnav. Only thing that is a little annoying is the lack of storage space that is out of view. The radio is really annoying though. When connected through Bluetooth the volume button also acts as pause/play but when connected through USB there is no pause/play utterly stupid.

Well, a good thing you didn't get a Volvo V70. I'm on my fourth in a row now and the previous three were excellent but this last one is crap quality - from the first week in the autumn of 2014. I've also read that the replacement, the new V90, has significant quality problems.

I will get a new car in 2018, most likely the new BMW 530E Touring i.e. petrol hybrid and it looks great. Excellent CO2 emission data and fuel consumption and quite fast too. With tax incentives and lower fuel cost etc. it's not extremely expensive.

Well, a good thing you didn't get a Volvo V70. I'm on my fourth in a row now and the previous three were excellent but this last one is crap quality - from the first week in the autumn of 2014. I've also read that the replacement, the new V90, has significant quality problems.

I will get a new car in 2018, most likely the new BMW 530E Touring i.e. petrol hybrid and it looks great. Excellent CO2 emission data and fuel consumption and quite fast too. With tax incentives and lower fuel cost etc. it's not extremely expensive.

What sort of problems with the V70? When I was doing car photography the Volvo guys were always passionate about the cars and the quality.

Being on a fixed budget narrowed what I could afford. There aren't many "normal" cars that sets the pulse going. So many are similar looking nowadays that you have to look quite close or see the badge to work out what they are. Maybe crash safety, legislative factors, companies using the same platforms, and costs limit designs and what can be achieved.

Of the "higher end" cars I have tended to like BMW more than Mercedes. I'm just not a fan of the Merc's styling not that BMWs are stunning lookers either.

It seems that all manufacturers are gradually shifting their model lines upwards and they get bigger. The current Polo is about the size of my old Golf GTi. The Mondeo was about the size of the Granada and so on. I had the first Ford Ka which was fine for my needs at the time. Back window steamed up? No problem, just reach over and wipe it! Even the Ka has got bigger. As that happens, what was an affordable basic car becomes more expensive and if you add options prices can become stupid. It isn't hard to get a Fiesta up to £20k!

It surprises me that manufacturers don't do cheap cars. In the US pickups are popular because they are cheap compared cars. A few years back when on holiday there was a new, Ford F150, 4l V8 for $11k (about £7.5k at the time). Add on £2k for shipping, plus taxes. And it was about £11k for quite a lot of car. Mrs W read my mind and said no. Renault are doing it with Dacia but you would think that others would do it.

V70 problems, some examples: major electrical failure, several radio/mp3 failures, bluetooth-phone failure, significant dashboard noice, left front suspension failure etc etc.

Note: my three previous V70 cars were excellent quality, no problems at all.

V70 problems, some examples: major electrical failure, several radio/mp3 failures, bluetooth-phone failure, significant dashboard noice, left front suspension failure etc etc.

Note: my three previous V70 cars were excellent quality, no problems at all.
maybe its a driver issues and it need to install a new driver :D :whistle:

I think a lot of things are made down to the minimum to avoid costs. When we moved into this house we got the usual stuff, fridge, washing machine and so on. They lasted about 20 to 25 years before failing. The replacements have also failed or had faults within 2-3 years. Though the processes and designs are there to make things stronger and lighter that doesn't mean they will last as long as the older designs.

I dislike the radio in the car. I have been looking at replacing it. Is it worth paying £500 on a brand like Alpine compared to an unbranded for £100 that has the same functions.

Think you should all buy BMW's lol

Not had any problems so far plus getting some great MPG from it on average 600 miles to 3/4 of a tank 2 to 3 weeks running dependant on mileage, MPG shows between 53 to 55mpg. I have 320 sport plus edition 320D 2.0 diesel with pro sat nav system fitted 184bhp 380ps torque version very comfy loads of space and enough torque to pull your soul out.

If you feel the need to look like a total cock have a cabriolet

I tried for an Audi but just couldn't find one right (with low mileage) for the money but still wont one, S3 would be nice but will have to save al ittle more.

PS. its a lot cheaper to run than my Honda on fuel and tax plus insurance, win all round

"Ich habe einen im Tee und schmiere meine Popel an Deinen BMW" Beginner forever... By the way... I am on the beginner concert this evening in Münster.... Wooop woooop... Woooop woop wooop

Last edited:
"Ich habe einen im Tee und schmiere meine Popel an Deinen BMW" Beginer forever... By the way... I am on the beginner concert this evening in Münster.... Wooop woooop... Woooop woop wooo

"I have one in the tea and smear my pop at your BMW".

Just watched this. Have to admit it's not quite my thing but the album was OK. Always interesting to try something different.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: BruceWillii

Users who are viewing this thread