Vegetarian pie.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
We usually buy veggie pies as it is often easier than making them. However, we had some flaky pastry leftover that my wife had made and had been frozen. So we made some pies. The filling was a selection of veg (carrots, leeks, potatoes, sweet potatoes, sweet corn) cut into smallish chunks that were then partially cooked (boiled). Then an sliced onion and mushrooms were softened and lightly browned in olive oil. Pepper, salt and Worcestershire Sauce was added to the onion along with a veggie stock cube and cooked for a couple of minutes. Some dark beer was added and it was then simmered until in thickened- still fluid but not watery.

Veg and onion gravy was allowed to cool and then mixed together. Dishes and recycled foil dishes had the pastry put in them and then the veg and gravy was mixed and added to the pies. Remaining pastry used to top the pies. Cooked for 30 minutes at 200°C.

The result was very tasty and even as a non-vegetarian I really enjoyed it. Worth the effort? Definitely.

The filling doesn’t take long to create but the pastry does. That can take a few hours of rolling, chilling, rolling and chilling to get it flaky. Cost for pies like the one shown and four individuals? About £1.50/€1.75 plus a few hours for prep.

For a pure veggie pie then it is worth doing but if you are using Quorn in the filling probably easier to buy their pies.

08FF0BED 15BC 46B1 8875 8E96B89ECB02

Reactions: Lady_Musketeer_GER
of course could be 3 ..or 4. :D bratwurst is fine or you mean the bavarian "weisswurst"? but they only got warmed in water so they still look as the cook from whity mcwhite :D

That must be them. Had them in Munich ( I think) and the people I was with wouldn’t tell me what was in it until I had tried it. Thought they were great - aren’t all sausages great? They said it was tripe but I’m not sure they were accurate. Can get them over here for £16 for 4! 🤣

Or occasionally Aldi will have them for about a £1.

Never seen American Pie!

They obviously thought because they are pale it was tripe. Usually get some when we do a shopping run to France.

Sweet mustard?

I like the french mustard (not Dijon though that is OK) that is yellow but still quite strong. Though fresh English mustard with horseradish is probably top of my list. Clears out the nasal passages and I can understand why mustard gas was used as a chemical weapon! 🤢

yes, sweet mustard. tasted totly different from the normal ones like dijon mustard or something else because there not the pungency from them. i really like that. also nice on a cheese or bacon bun. lovely lol

What does it normally cost? I know that looks a bit spendy but decent French mustard over here cost a lot which is why a day trip to France is worth it.

I was going to order it when I noticed who it was coming from. That is only about 20 minutes from my mum who we are seeing soon so will get some when down there. They also do bread and sausages!!! Saves about £3 too.

But then you still miss 3 things :)

Weissbier

Brezeln

and the right technique :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do it like the first version (if it doesnt work flawlessly try the other side) but the last is how you do it in munich called zuzeln - those ugly bastards ;)

Reactions: glenwilson
But then you still miss 3 things :)

Weissbier

Brezeln

and the right technique :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do it like the first version (if it doesnt work flawlessly try the other side) but the last is how you do it in munich called zuzeln - those ugly bastards ;)

Do you not eat the skin? I have been eating them like an animal!!! One of those methods looked more like a circumcision though! 😳

Do you not eat the skin? I have been eating them like an animal!!! One of those methods looked more like a circumcision though! 😳

short answer is no ^^

it may not be toxic and its not plastic but i doubt it is as easy to bite than in case of a bratwurst

Users who are viewing this thread