bread making

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
I love cooking and we always use fresh produce where possible. Somethings are not practical to make for two people like veggie pies. Some sauces are so easy to make it isn't worth buying. Things like Thai green curry paste can be made as a batch and frozen in cubes for when you need it.

The main thing about cooking and bread making in general is that even if you follow a recipe the result will depend on the ingredients and oven you are using. It can take a few attempts to get things right and tweak times etc. Took me about five goes to get creme brûlées right. Having something you made from scratch that tastes good and you and others enjoy is really satisfying.

I know would never do any good on a TV cooking show but I still enjoy doing it. I'm more Fanny Craddock than Nigella!

same here. i love cooking. mostly not with recepts or only a basic recept and than just try out what happened with other ingredients.

I love cooking and we always use fresh produce where possible. Somethings are not practical to make for two people like veggie pies. Some sauces are so easy to make it isn't worth buying. Things like Thai green curry paste can be made as a batch and frozen in cubes for when you need it.

The main thing about cooking and bread making in general is that even if you follow a recipe the result will depend on the ingredients and oven you are using. It can take a few attempts to get things right and tweak times etc. Took me about five goes to get creme brûlées right. Having something you made from scratch that tastes good and you and others enjoy is really satisfying.

I know would never do any good on a TV cooking show but I still enjoy doing it. I'm more Fanny Craddock than Nigella!

same here. i love cooking. mostly not with recepts or only a basic recept and than just try out what happened with other ingredients.

Me too ! :) Let's starty the NRU Cooking community and then we all meet at Laka's house for eating ! :)

Asian is one of my fav directions, but also like to try all kinds of exotic stuff too. For XMAS I prepared some 2 KGs of pork in the roast with crunchy Skin...was nice for the first attempt, can always be improved :)

lol that would going to be a mess in my little kitchen. we had to cut off the size of our kitchen because we need to make a "technic-room" from the normaly planned kitchen to put all the technical stuff from the , solar heater, buffer reservoir and the geothermal heading into that. so if i stand in the kitchen it is "full" lol

If I was able to afford to build a house from scratch the kitchen would be important for both of us. My wife would need nice ovens for baking but the two gadgets I would like in there would be a proving drawer for bread and a dedicated wok and burner for it. Our cooker just doesn't seem to be able to get a wok hot enough. Just got a Kenwood k-mix triblade blender processor thingy which is rather nice to have. Already using it more than I thought I would. Wife just looked and slowly shook her head when I proudly revealed it!

My wife is vegetarian so a lot of the food we have is vegetarian - silly to make two meals. However, the worst bit is that she doesn't like hot chilli food! I have to cook something that is ok for her and then spice it up for me!

And for those who don't know who Fanny Craddock is....

Attachments

• fanny-craddock.jpg
    fanny-craddock.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 20
so, next portion of bread is out of the oven. i made a spelt/wheat wholegrean bread with sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and rolled oats. also a handfull of roasted onions for the special flawor. filled up both breadforms with around 2,5 kg of dough.

this time the crust is better and more evenly. on the pics it looks more charred but thats only the pic lol its nice brown crusty.

Attachments

• 2015-02-21 15.11.25.jpg
    2015-02-21 15.11.25.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2015-02-21 17.13.11.jpg
    2015-02-21 17.13.11.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2015-02-21 17.13.49.jpg
    2015-02-21 17.13.49.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 6
  • 2015-02-21 17.13.58.jpg
    2015-02-21 17.13.58.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 6
That looks really great, Sascha.

I can almost smell the aroma of freshly baked bread in the air. :)

OK, after seeing that I'm going to try one of those! Will be next week when I have a bit more time though.

They look really nice and, yes, you can almost smell it from here! Need to look up some German style bread recipes. Bread is like beer, basically the same worldwide but with local variations.

Tried one of the recipes that uses buttermilk from the site above today and the result was a brick! Not tried it yet but it didn't rise much at all. So made a plain white loaf using my normal recipe and that also was pretty poor! Wondering if the yeast isn't as good as it should be. I'll try and grab a picture in the morning before they get fed to the birds.

Here are the two loaves. The one on the left was using the buttermilk recipe and the one on the right my "normal" recipe. As you can see they are not quite how they should be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 34
So guys all this talk on bread making has made me and my wife purchase a bread maker :) (which is nice). so after some research on youtube most people seem to use Panasonic so there you go were purchased on from Argos nothing to fancy but when they delivered it surprise was they sent us the
top of the range model stainless steel job with all bells and whistles hahaha...

So first loaf was a plain white large loaf turned out fantastic plus really easy to make, five minutes prep and away you go 4 hours later your in white loaf heaven...
Second loaf was Apricot and almond with strong white flour but this didn't go to plan on the machine is a dry ingredients dispenser which when you put the 150grams in fills it to the top which is it's max capacity, this as I found out puts to much pressure on the release plate also it has a lid on it from the top which presses down on the ingredients (So the little bugger didn't open when it should of) so this combination lead to me manually working those ingredients in but the result was ok but fresh fruit or better quality next time may be in order.
Third loaf was a wholegrain which has more taste than white
Now baking one for my parents
But I want to make a brown loaf as this is my favourite bread plus ill give anything a try ask my wife :D seriously id like to try some onion and garlic bread or spice curry and mango, pesto or tomato it's all been baked here lads if you live closer we could start a café plus glen's beer oh my
Ill have to post some pics as soon as I can

As ive said in the past my moms (or mums) a traditional cook and she used to bake bread the old fashioned way so im no stranger to it.

But still the best cooking appliance by far is the slow cooker which I love

Last edited:
Welcome to loaves-r-us! We have had a Panasonic machine for about four maybe five years now so good choice Andy. We have tried some of the different packet mixes but have been disappointed by some of those and now prefer to just make sure we have ingredients in stock. Also, you can add some wholemeal flour to a white recipe for something a bit different.

Try home made butter with your bread! Extra yummy. Just whip cream until it splits and you end up with butter and buttermilk (which you can use in a loaf).

Ive been using Allison's flour for my recipes and there yeast for bread makers, one of my weaknesses is butter I like lots on toast etc. So when I get used to what im doing no doubt there will be more going in the bread lol
Well all dairy products is one of my weaknesses as you may agree.

Today many readymade meals are full of artificial additives, colours and flavour enhancers.
When we subsist on native, unrefined food which has been prepared according to respected traditions, the food tastes much better and we also benefit from better health.
Apart from that we can control exactly what kind of ingredients we use.

True, it takes time and care to make your own homemade food but it’s really worth it.
In a fast-paced world I like to put slow-cooked food on the table.

Andy, I hope that you and your family enjoy every single loaf of bread. :)

Lady - said perfectly as usual.

I know many people that spend loads of money on take-away meals which you can make easily at home. I make a batch of Thai green curry paste and freeze it to use when needed. Even with a generous portion of prawns plus mushrooms and other bits in it will cost a lot less than the equivalent take-out an donly take 15 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook (about the same time it would take to go and get or order in! True you can microwave some rice in a packet in about 90 seconds but it only takes about 20 minutes to boil it on a stove and cost pennies in comparison. Today we had homemade waffles with home made lemon curd for breakfast.

Went back to a basic white loaf recipe with new yeast and it seems to have worked. Really don't know what happened with the others (see above).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread