bread making

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
lakaelo

lakaelo

NRU Heed
i know glen is making bread too so possible it is interesting for other guys also. :)

today i made a Dinkel / spelt bread. also used some sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds.

so this is basically the recept. i don´t use a breadmaker just a 30cm bread making dish and my oven.

1000g spelt flour
750ml warm water
200g butter
40g hefe/yeast
2 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bread spice (light milled fennel, coriander and caraway )
1-2 handfull sunsflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds

first dissolve the hefe into the warm water. after that you can put all successively together. i use a mixer with kneading hook for making the dough. 3-5 minutes with throwing in some handsfull of sunflower, sesam and pumpkin seeds into.

30min rest for the dough, than again 2-3 minutes with the kneading hook.

in that time i smear the bread dish with margarine and sprinkle some of the sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seed on it.

after that, the dough can into the dish and into the oven.

first 20 minutes into 220-230°C. than 40-50 minutes with 200°C. last 5-10 minutes i use 250°C upperhead to get some nice krust. but i think i will need to increase this into 10-15 minutes and only with 220°C to get a even brown krust.

Attachments

• 2015-02-14 13.55.54.jpg
    2015-02-14 13.55.54.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2015-02-14 13.57.48.jpg
    2015-02-14 13.57.48.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2015-02-14 13.58.21.jpg
    2015-02-14 13.58.21.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2015-02-14 13.58.30.jpg
    2015-02-14 13.58.30.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 11
NRU buns. :)

Attachments

• funny_bread_picture_m1009.jpg
    funny_bread_picture_m1009.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 108
Nice looking loaf there!

I'll need to try that recipe. We use a Panasonic bread machine just for the ease of use. It cost about £80 but we have had it for about three years and expect to see a few more years out of it yet. Had a Kenwood machine before that. We have been making our own bread for about 10 years now. The basic recipe I use is:

500g flour (which can be a mix of anything really - I tend to go for something like 50g rye, 50g wholemeal, and 400 white)
345ml water (or a water/milk mix)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast

Add all to the machine and 4 hours later bread. The ingredients cost about 40p and the cost of the machine per loaf is about 30p and that compares very favourably to purchased craft loaves which can be about £2 for something decent. For sourdough breads I have used the dough hook in the mixer and though they work fine they don't have that San Francisco sourdough taste. Keeping the sourdough starter going is like having a pet because you have to keep feeding it to make sure it keeps well.

That does look good Lak. I've never used spelt before. Even the name "spelt" sounds like it should be healthy :) I make two loaves of bread most weekends (a multigrain with pumpkin seeds, flax, large flake oatmeal or rye flakes, coarse cornmeal for a bit of crunch, sunflower seeds [no shell ;)] and brewers yeast) and a milk bread or an English Muffin bread, occasionally a sour dough rye. Both are good toasted. I cheat though...I use a bread machine...cause I'm lazy :) The house always smells amazing when the bread is baking doesn't it?!

no other seeds in there glen? i like it with a lot of stuff inside. even more is better :)

i don´t tried sourdough yet but i think this will be one of the next ones. here you can buy a finished pack of them or just make it yourself. but i only read that it has to go over 3-4 days. can imagine i would fucked this up. lol we will see.

why you all use the maschines? i tried one years ago and it bothered me how long it takes. i need only 1 hour in my oven instead of 3 hours in the maschine. but the mainpoint is the krust. we like it with a big nice krust and i think you don´t get this in a maschine.

we need pics of your bread. :popcorn:

In order to get a well-browned crispy crust, I usually put a heat-resistant bowl of water on the bottom rack of the oven while the bread is baking, that usually does the trick.

Excellent job, Lakaelo. :)

Not that keen on bread with too many grains in (also known as muesli).

Always remember my mum making bread when I was young and that inspired me. I used it as a door stop and asked for a few more so I could build a castle to play in. For some reason she never tried again. I've produced a couple of bricks during my bread making career...

A lot of German breads are sourdough based as they use airborne yeast rather than live or packet yeast.

We are quite a metrosexual lot on here really. I bet some of you throw together a frock at the weekend or knit a jumper in the evening but have yet to admit it! :D

no other seeds in there glen? i like it with a lot of stuff inside. even more is better :)

i don´t tried sourdough yet but i think this will be one of the next ones. here you can buy a finished pack of them or just make it yourself. but i only read that it has to go over 3-4 days. can imagine i would fucked this up. lol we will see.

why you all use the maschines? i tried one years ago and it bothered me how long it takes. i need only 1 hour in my oven instead of 3 hours in the maschine. but the mainpoint is the krust. we like it with a big nice krust and i think you don´t get this in a maschine.

we need pics of your bread. :popcorn:

Main reason for using a machine is the convenience of chucking in the ingredients and getting bread out. True, it takes four hours but most bread does if you include proving time. We actually get a decent crust on the bread from the machine. If you are toasting the bread, which we mainly do, then a really crusty loaf does become even crustier!

I'll do some pics the next time I make a loaf.

Maybe we need a home economics thread on here?

Laka making bread and Glen making beer.......I can feel a bread and beer party coming on :nurse:

Lakas bread is available at stores now! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• penis-food-semen-bread-425x600.jpg
    penis-food-semen-bread-425x600.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 43
Laka making bread and Glen making beer.......I can feel a bread and beer party coming on :nurse:

I also do pickles, pasta, toffee, nut brittle, and the wife does cakes and stuff...

Do you have a spare room at all Glen sounds like a lovely house over there
Fresh bread home made brew pickles etc oh my
what else :)

My mom has always cooked fresh home produce the old fashioned way and you cannot beat it
Roast dinners cakes home made chips for a treat etc Victoria sponges mmmmmmmmm
Love cooking
Tonight its home made sausage rolls

Homemade scones, sausage rolls, pies etc. No vacancies though. Sorry :(

Would like to grow veg and herbs but the soil and weather have meant very little success. Only thing that has grown is horseradish.

Here is my bread via a machine. Loaf is a plain white, nothing fancy but smells great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 7
I love cooking and we always use fresh produce where possible. Somethings are not practical to make for two people like veggie pies. Some sauces are so easy to make it isn't worth buying. Things like Thai green curry paste can be made as a batch and frozen in cubes for when you need it.

The main thing about cooking and bread making in general is that even if you follow a recipe the result will depend on the ingredients and oven you are using. It can take a few attempts to get things right and tweak times etc. Took me about five goes to get creme brûlées right. Having something you made from scratch that tastes good and you and others enjoy is really satisfying.

I know would never do any good on a TV cooking show but I still enjoy doing it. I'm more Fanny Craddock than Nigella!

Users who are viewing this thread