Symbols and stuff and history

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Was going to reply to @Steffos666 in the banned for symbols thread but rather than mess that up just put this in here.

Yes, banning people in real life would be great. When you see the nut case representatives in the US spouting racist stuff and all the other shit. Same over here, a lot of our government would be right at home in the National Front that was around when I was young. Same terms and phrases are being used now but were considered extreme then. Unfortunately racism just seems to get hidden away rather than actually dying out.

Historical artefacts should be kept as a reminder. My father-in-law just threw out loads of old photos he had of when he was in the navy.

Over here we seems to be having difficulty with our involvement in the slave trade. It is important not to hide history otherwise we will never learn from it. It is important to know what we did but not celebrate or make idols out of the people. Same for leaders, Churchill was not the nicest person if you read the biographies but that is glossed over.

My wife's uncle was a british spy in Germany during the war. His best friend was German and after the war lived together over here. Only found out about this after he had died. My father-in-law just casually mentioned it one day. After the war he sent some german sausage home and my in-laws tried frying it, boiling it, roasting it and any other way of cooking it they could think of. Wasn't till he got home and they ask how you cook it did they find out you don't, you just slice it and eat it!

The F-I-L was a radio operator on HMS Warspite for a short time but seemed to have spent a fair bit of the war in the US in Mobile AL. My parents and grandparents were too young and too old to be involved. Had an uncle who was in the navy though. Looking back I wished I had known and asked about it. Not out of a voyueristic interest but to understand more what it was like. I am not sure I would have the courage to go to war. It must have horrid for those at the various fronts and battles.

When I worked at Coca-cola, the factory manager in Norwich told us he had been in the navy in subs. When docked up somewhere there were also US subs there. They got invited over and were surprised by all the food and drink they had. So when they invited the US sailors on to their sub, because of rationing there wasn't the same quality or quantity of food or drink. In the end they drained one of the torpedos of fuel (they ran on alcohol) and drank that. He also said that when they launched a torpedo some of the crew had to run from on end to the other to balance the sub! Most films and even documentaries don't show what happened in reality but just heroic highlights.

Thanks for those insides I may be able to collect translate some information about my grandfather.

Now those threats of ww2 are as real as they can get and they found a 500kg bomb directly over the street.

I remember going to Dresden when it was still in East Germany and we went past ruins from the war and realising that was what we (British and the US) did. I was about 12 (maybe 1970) at the time and being shocked by the devastation. Understanding that so many civilians lost their lives. Most of the recent wars have been mainly army against army and didn't have civilians as targets.

Living in London during the '70s and 80's was probably the closest to any conflict I have been. A few times had been to a pub or past a place only for it to be bombed by the IRA. There wasn't quite the paranoia you would expect but it was scary times.

Users who are viewing this thread