Stuttering, lags and pauses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
For a few weeks now I have started to get some serious stutters when playing BF4.

Basically it has been start a round and it either takes ages to actually join a round which also happens when a new round starts - it just shows the round loading screen for ages. Was occasionally initially but was really getting silly. When the round started there would be stutters that would last up to 20 seconds. It isn't the looping stuff you get if the server/ somewhere in between is playing up. Not noticed anything similar on any other apps I use. Checked all the network connections and also physical connections. Not had any other warnings or problems with the PC. Not opened it up yet as no indication that there is any hardware probs.

Did all the usual checks and nothing had been changed hardware wise or software apart from windows updates and graphics drivers.
Checked what was running and tried stopping background functions that were not really required at the time. This appeared to help but didn't really cure anything.
Ran the check on the BF4 install and then seemed to help but again not really a cure.
Deleted BF4 and reinstalled and again that seemed initially to help but still got stutters.
Next is to do a re-install of Windows which I will do today. So will see what that does. 😬

I posted a thread earlier with just these symptoms and the cure I found was just to start the game using "Run as administrator"

I did read through that and should have added that in above. No noticeable difference.

Windows reinstall has helped too. Map loaded really quick and no noticeable lags or stuttering or stalling when I did a quick test. Will check that BF4 is run as admin though before starting it next time.

Non destructive Windows install...
  1. Check what version of windows you have.
  2. Using the Windows media tool create a USB stick. I already had the tool but it should be on the Microsoft site somewhere.
  3. Boot up your PC like normal. Your PC has to be functioning normally(ish) to do this.
  4. On the USB disk you created run Setup
  5. This will do stuff and then say it will keep all settings and files - if it does, click on OK. It will then start the install.
  6. After the install it will reboot and be as it was before but with a refreshed Windows installation.

Usual thing with installs getting to 90% took about 15 minutes. But that last 10% was about 30 minutes.
34BFA173 6A3D 4015 8550 4B48C622EC36

Don't believe this one either! Several minutes was more like 20.

AF0084BF ABF9 405C A2B6 D76BB3A32BC6

Also try to disable Fullscreen optimization (right click the .exe and properties, and tick the box). That helped with my stutter.

No problems while joining in game but i have noticed some weird movement and hitreg issues in the past days. My character has forgotten how to walk up stairs and sometimes moves like waist deep in water: have to jump up stairs to avoid that. Today my UCAV (airburst) did no damage to players until i rebooted my PC (No idea what that was). Also enemies have learned neat new movement tricks and i've seen quite alot of these in the past week or so:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

• Wow
Reactions: SoulsEater
What are the temperatures of your computer when you play?
Have to check that next time i play. I know that my CPU is at 97-100% when i play bf4. 😅
Edit: Ou you meant Glenn. ^^

Last edited:
Temps are all OK. I think it maybe a grfx driver issue. Have been playing with settings a bit and it seems to be better. Suspect Nvidia driver.

Reactions: SoulsEater
Temps are all OK. I think it maybe a grfx driver issue. Have been playing with settings a bit and it seems to be better. Suspect Nvidia driver.
Try the fullscreen optimization thing. I'd say I have a very powerful pc (also nvidia gpu), i cant play without it

Reactions: glenwilson
Will do. After playing with settings yesterday I feel it is more a graphics settings/driver issue.

So after doing the usual stuff above I was still getting the stutters. Not as bad but was still happening. Jumped on to play yesterday and then real8sed there were no delays in the map loading and no lags and stutters. Had been like it for a couple of days looking back. The only thing that had changed was that last week was Windows Patch Tuesday and there was an update so wondering if it was a Windows issues that only showed itself through BF. couldn't find anything to confirm that though.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

So after doing the usual stuff above I was still getting the stutters. Not as bad but was still happening. Jumped on to play yesterday and then real8sed there were no delays in the map loading and no lags and stutters. Had been like it for a couple of days looking back. The only thing that had changed was that last week was Windows Patch Tuesday and there was an update so wondering if it was a Windows issues that only showed itself through BF. couldn't find anything to confirm that though.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
i can confirm, these last two days maps have been loading noticably faster for me on the server, will keep track. I get laggy and stuttery only when something starst to update in the background, but i have an old laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread