Stupid question about Russian aircraft names

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
When you get a Russian aircraft like the Tuplelov Tu-160 or Sukhoi Su-17 should you say Su (said like sue) 17 or S U 17? Most people seem to say S U 17 but have heard it the other way too.

The Su/Tu looks like an abbreviation of Sukhoi/Tupolev so would seem to be correct. For an AC-130 you don't say 'Look there is an ac130' but say 'Look there is an A C 130'

• Yay
Reactions: Huilo_Ren_666
When you get a Russian aircraft like the Tuplelov Tu-160 or Sukhoi Su-17 should you say Su (said like sue) 17 or S U 17? Most people seem to say S U 17 but have heard it the other way too.

The Su/Tu looks like an abbreviation of Sukhoi/Tupolev so would seem to be correct. For an AC-130 you don't say 'Look there is an ac130' but say 'Look there is an A C 130'

In my experience not even A-C-130 but A-C-1-30

in croatian we woud connect it, like su-25, but in english we were taught to pronounce abbreviations with single sound s-u-25 🤷‍♀️ now how rusians do it, we need huilo

• Yay
Reactions: Huilo_Ren_666
We all know that Spetsnaz scream
ENEMYAC1-30ABOOOOOOVE! :D

@glenwilson
My dad was working at the airfield in times of his military duty back then with both, and he is always saying it spelled together like su and tu, (in my language it sounds like soo and too)
I can't find the origin of name AC130 (C130) but since Su and Tu are not some initials, but first 2 letters of a name, it would make more sense to me to spell it together.

Hadn't thought that through even though I 'said' A-C-1-30' when typing!

US designations are based on these (I think)
  • A - Ground Attack [1962-today]
  • C - Transport [1962-today]
  • D - Drone Director [1962-today]
  • E - Special Electronic Mission [1962-today]
  • F - Fighter [1978/86-today]
  • H - Search and Rescue, Medevac [1962-today]
  • K - Tanker [1962-today]
  • L - Equipped for Cold Weather Operations [1962-today]
  • M - Missile Carrier [1962-1971/73] (see note 1)
  • M - Mine Countermeasures [1972/74-1976] (see note 1)
  • M - Multimission [1977-today]
  • O - Observation [1972/74-today]
  • P - Maritime Patrol [1972/74-today]
  • Q - Unmanned Drone [1962-today]
  • R - Reconnaissance [1962-today]
  • S - Antisubmarine Warfare [1962-today]
  • T - Trainer [1962-today]
  • U - Utility [1962-today]
  • V - Staff Transport [1962-today] (see note 2)
  • W - Weather Reconnaissance [1962-today]

So an AC-130 is an Attack Cargo type 130 with the end letter being the variant/role of the aircraft.

Not sure how an SR-71 fits in with Antisub/reconnaissance

This is quite interesting Lockheed AC-130 - Wikipedia

We all know that Spetsnaz scream
ENEMYAC1-30ABOOOOOOVE! :D

@glenwilson
My dad was working at the airfield in times of his military duty back then with both, and he is always saying it spelled together like su and tu, (in my language it sounds like soo and too)
I can't find the origin of name AC130 (C130) but since Su and Tu are not some initials, but first 2 letters of a name, it would make more sense to me to spell it together.
And also MiG, which is Mikojan-Gurevič, is spelled together like "mig"

Damn you, how did I forget MiG! 🙂

Also thought of many others which helps make it So rather than S U: Yakovlev is always just Yak, Ilyushin, and so on. Soviet design bereaus seem to be named after the designer though I couldn't find a person called 'Central Hydrofoil' for that particular Design Bureau. 🤣 Was Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeyev who designed the Ekranoplans.

Reactions: Riot_co

Don’t know about all of Russians but many call it SU TU (not sue; pronouncing closer to soo)

• Love
Reactions: Ch8nge and Riot_co
Heard once that it should have been the RS-71 but the VIP who mentioned it got it wrong and said SR so it stuck rather than correct them.

• Haha
Reactions: Riot_co

Users who are viewing this thread