Starting to look for a new monitor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
I have had my 29" LG ultra widescreen monitor for almost 8 years now. I have been really pleased with it and have found it especially useful for editing photos when I was doing that as a job.Also like the widescreen when playing BF too. The negative has been the slow refresh rate when playing. Last week a vertical line has appeared - a thin yellow line that is visible on white backgrounds. When playing it isn't visible so not an issue. Even in more general use it isn't a problem but I suspect that it could be a sign that it may be on the way out.

I have been looking at potential replacements and would like to still have a superwide screen but many of those are out of my budget of about £250/ €300. 16:9 but not 4:3.

Looks like you can get HD screens for about £180 but 4K are nearer the £250. For gaming is it worth having 4K?

Looking around this seems to be OK but was looking for other suggestions. Would normally get out and have a look at screens but there are few if any places locally apart from Currys (and I am not in the mood for their shite). Had a look at the various PC review sites and still unsure as to what specs I should be looking for ideally.

Amazon product ASIN B07XS9N2CL

Not really a recoomendation but only a small warning, running games well in 4k will require some real good hardware. I currently have a 27inch 4K monitor and probably gonna downgrade it (together with another one) to a 1440p.

Not really a recoomendation but only a small warning, running games well in 4k will require some real good hardware. I currently have a 27inch 4K monitor and probably gonna downgrade it (together with another one) to a 1440p.
i guess my onboard graficcard, i am using, would do a spontaneous suicide, if it recognize i plug in a 4k monitor lol

• Yay
Reactions: We4re0ne
i guess my onboard graficcard, i am using, would do a spontaneous suicide, if it recognize i plug in a 4k monitor lol
Well that will depend on which one you have (iGPU meaning)

1. Youtube/movies on 4k with a decent iGPU is probably not an issue
2. BF4 on 4k, suicide -> revive -> suicide again, only thing to do is to setup the game to only run on 1080p but then why upgrade ;)

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo
1050ti is not gonna be able to run 4K especialy at ultrawide, 1440p is perfect for gaming but a 1050ti isnt gonna get to high fps on ultrawide. its probaly gonna cap around 60fps but i think its still optimistic. ultrawide is quite hard to run since normal 1080 is 2MP, and ultrawide 1080 is 2,7MP and 1440p ultrawide is 5MP this is double the amound of the pixels so expect a 50% or even worse drop in proformance. 1440p ultrawide needs a quite beefy GPU, i think for 1440p ultrawide you really wanna get a 2060 or better to be able to run it 100+ fps.

and keep in mind BF6 is coming which will also drop your fps in half.

sadly the GPU marked is compleetly broken at the momend and i do not recommend buying a new GPU anytime soon. but you could still buy the screen and just run it at 1080p untill there gonna be cheap agains. which is gonna take 2 years :C.

sorry for the bad news but the market is just broken now

Cheers. GPU is about 18 months old so not really looking to replace that. Certainly is OK with current monitor but that is limited to 60hz.

Think I will look at something like a 26" HD.

BFV runs reasonably well so sort of hopeful that BF6 will be doable. I know that I need to upgrade the whole lot at some point.

Cheers. GPU is about 18 months old so not really looking to replace that. Certainly is OK with current monitor but that is limited to 60hz.

Think I will look at something like a 26" HD.

BFV runs reasonably well so sort of hopeful that BF6 will be doable. I know that I need to upgrade the whole lot at some point.
I recommend in infesting in a 120+ screen for when you wan to upgrade in the future, 120+FPS is a blessing and it so nice I can't describe it.

1050 would be able to do it (just) on all low 1440p but definitely 1080p

1080p is normal and standerd but 1440p really gives you you a bit more clarity and I would say it the sweet spot for 1440p. You can better spend more for a 1440p and 144hz screen if you ever gonna upgrand it's not onna bottle neck.you and on windows 1440p gives you some nice extra space

Just wait until the GPU prices drop and buy a 2070 or a 3060

Reactions: glenwilson
I think I am repeating myself but I think it may be interesting

I have a 1060 with 6gb vram and a 1080p monitor with 144hz
the monitor only works on 144hz with DVI (hdmi was still pretty crappy in that time concerning datarates) and modern gpus dont have dvi anymore because its old and deprecated

So why I am telling this. Because I think even though you are not depending on DVI you are stuck in a similiar valley.

Everything is working fine, but if I want to upgrade my graphics card,then my monitor is a useless 60hz 1080p monitor, or I want to upgrade my monitor then my graphics card might be a bit too weak.

So I'm waiting and saving money to afford both at once and I might be saving a lot of money because graphics card prices can only drop (chuckle I'm in danger I hope Im not wrong there)

And then my wife is playing too so she might want the same^^

This is the line that has appeared. That is the worst it looks - in game it just isn't visible.

A low end box with an HD monitor looks like about £1100. My case, power supply and storage are all OK so maybe motherboard, memory and chip first and then graphics car and monitor. I really need to swat up on this stuff - things have changed so much.

69673F47 F8B0 4A3C A93A 8B36EC91B125

yeah but at this moment I wouldnt upgrade any PC components at all. Worldwide shortage in chips is expected to last for probably most of 2021 (at least it makes sure I get paid ^^) which means insane and ridiculous prices.

I went with a Dell S2719DGF 27" 1440p with FreeSync support about a year ago. It works well for me although some games seem to need a meaty GPU to power that res without stuttering (I have 2060 Super). It was about £300 when I got it, so a little above your price point.

@Steffos666 you could use a DVI to HDMI adapter (those are like 2 euros since there passive) I use this because my second monitor doesn't have HDMI and my GPU doesn't have DVI so I go from HDMI to DVI and works fine

@Steffos666 you could use a DVI to HDMI adapter (those are like 2 euros since there passive) I use this because my second monitor doesn't have HDMI and my GPU doesn't have DVI so I go from HDMI to DVI and works fine

I tried a cheap one and my graphics windows settings say it can only do 60hz maybe I have to research again wether I can get it to run

This is the line that has appeared. That is the worst it looks - in game it just isn't visible.

A low end box with an HD monitor looks like about £1100. My case, power supply and storage are all OK so maybe motherboard, memory and chip first and then graphics car and monitor. I really need to swat up on this stuff - things have changed so much.

View attachment 11423

oops I missed that part totally did not read the part about it being broken

Users who are viewing this thread