Quickie project (Dinky Toys Jeep)

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Wife was up in the loft looking for something and found a couple of her old toys. These must be 50+ years old. Should have taken a pic before I started but the horse box looks similar to the jeep. Paint stripped the body and done some light sanding. Will prime it first to see if it needs more work before painting. Windscreen is broken so may try and make a replacement with plastic card.46441284-25AD-49C3-8F8D-26245504F9DB.jpeg9A493F61-71ED-4959-92D1-6F6ABADA3598.jpeg

RIZLOID

EL Gringo
NRU Member
Dont touch them they are probably worth a fortune as they are 🧐

lakaelo

NRU Heed
Website
www.mayfieldgarden.de
looks like it is ok to work wih. not the bigget fortune when i search right.

glenwilson

NRU Heed
I did a search before starting just in case but my wife had previously ‘enhanced’ them with a layer of enamel paint that was soo thick it took three goes with the paint stripper to remove it. Hopefully if we do leave the EU we can get ‘proper’ paint stripper back - the stuff that eats through the paint (and everything else). 😁

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Fabricated a windscreen from styrene card and primed it all. Photos show original broken piece and then the replacement. Looks a bit tatty close up as the primer has highlighted some sanding is still needed.

Had a look at using copper pipe to make a windscreen/roll cage but bending it consistently at that scale wasn’t possible.

Attachments

Reactions: lakaelo

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Could continue tweaking it but there comes a point where you have to say done. The plastic car windscreen has worked Ok though one corner cracked and despite using different glues it still came apart. Must be some stress in the way I cut the card causing that. Wife wanted painted seats and headlights and I added a wash to make the grill stand out. Peening the axels was “fun” and took ages.

Overall I am happy with it and learned a lot from the painting process. Next the horse box. 😁

Attachments