Playstation 2

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
The Mrs found a couple of PS2 games that she had never finished so wanted it setup to try them.

That wasn't a problem as I had a power lead for it and then found the video lead. Main issue was where to plug the video/audio lead in. The amp has front input sockets but not for video and l/r sound. There are spare inputs on the back of it but that would have been an extreme pain in the butt to do. After scrabbling with a torch and mirror was able to get it plugged into the TV.

Powered it on and it worked. Plugged in the controller, forgotten how cute it was to have leads dangling out the back of the TV 😱 to the console and then the lead to the controller. Everything is a trip hazard.

There were a few things that were really surprising.
  • How painfully slow it is to do anything. Reading the CD takes ages. Then reading the memory card takes ages. Then loading the level takes ages. Just don't remember it being that slow.
  • Resolution. 480i/p on a 50+" TV just looks awful. After about 10 minutes it was hello headache and eye strain. I know it is 20 years old but it is awful. Need to get the old monitor out and use that which may be a better option.
  • Nice that you don't need to update the console every time you want to play. Also that games were finished. No continual bug fixing.
  • How clunky the memory cards were and how small the memory in them was.
  • The controller feels small compared to latest ones and not as comfortable to use. Also, could they make the connector any bigger?
41575811 E13E 4417 912A DC6E1131BCF4

Haha, some month ago, i found my Playstation one + some games somewhere deep in my office cabinets. thought the same, remember the good times and how many fun it was to play that. tried some F1 racing game and my eyes nearly died lol tried the next game, guess it was some other racing game and the same. you can´t see that anymore with that "grafic" lol end of the story, took the whole back with all that crap and threw it in the trash. :cautious:

• Haha
Reactions: blugi21
Its funny how our memory deceives us. I often think about how great games were 20 years back but when playing them now after getting used for better fraphics, faster loading times etc it can be quite an experience. Couple months ago played Ape Escape what is an ps 1 game and while the game looks cute the controls were just awful. Fun game after getting used to the headaches from camera angles and frustration from controls. :LOL:

I give lot of shit on the current way game industry is going but gotta admit not all were better back in the day. :D

Some of the games were good even with crappy hardware and graphics. We have a few of the old games on the PS4 that have been remastered and the have been fun to play again not because the graphics are better but because the games were good in the first place. Probably why BF4 is still being played. Also surprising that EA/Dice don't do a few new maps and make some money of it.

Was looking through what was available just before christmas. Was after a racing game that anyone can play as the Mrs hasn't a clue about driving and is just fun. They were wanting £30 for games just because they were associated with a character or brand and most are just clones of something else. Got an indie game that cost £5 and it is really good fun, enough of a challenge but not stupidly hard. The £30 game is now £2.50 in the sale.

Yesterday I heard "I will get the PS1 down from the loft at the weekend" 😡😳 Next it will be the PSP's batteries are knacked.

Reactions: blugi21
was that not such a green "alien" or something like that?? guess i had this game too when i remeber right and also remember the awfull controlling. lol
Ape Escape is where you control a boy who tries to catch runaway apes with a hand net. Fun game but really outdated. :)

88307-ape-escape-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Some of the games were good even with crappy hardware and graphics. We have a few of the old games on the PS4 that have been remastered and the have been fun to play again not because the graphics are better but because the games were good in the first place. Probably why BF4 is still being played. Also surprising that EA/Dice don't do a few new maps and make some money of it.

Was looking through what was available just before christmas. Was after a racing game that anyone can play as the Mrs hasn't a clue about driving and is just fun. They were wanting £30 for games just because they were associated with a character or brand and most are just clones of something else. Got an indie game that cost £5 and it is really good fun, enough of a challenge but not stupidly hard. The £30 game is now £2.50 in the sale.

Yesterday I heard "I will get the PS1 down from the loft at the weekend" 😡😳 Next it will be the PSP's batteries are knacked.
That is true! Lots of games that even now played feels really good. My personal favorites are old final fantasy games. On PS2 there was FF X and FF X-2 that were great even then but now remastered on new consoles with HD graphs are just awesome. On PS 1 FF7, FF8 and FF9 were even better. And then when going further back to NES and SNES FF 1-6... 🥹 OMG now i wanna play some FF!

That is true! Lots of games that even now played feels really good. My personal favorites are old final fantasy games. On PS2 there was FF X and FF X-2 that were great even then but now remastered on new consoles with HD graphs are just awesome. On PS 1 FF7, FF8 and FF9 were even better. And then when going further back to NES and SNES FF 1-6... 🥹 OMG now i wanna play some FF!

My Mrs was always "Computer games, what a waste of time..."

Friend of mine had a selection of games that he lent me to try. Most were like the ones mentioned above, relatively simple but really fun to play. Tried a few and she tried one of the Final Fantasy games and was hooked! Main reason we got the PS3 and PS4 was because of the FF games. Think she has nearly all of them. Not something that does anything for me though. I was more Gran Tourismo.

• Yay
Reactions: lakaelo and blugi21

Users who are viewing this thread