Metal Earth Kit

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
When I was looking for the LEGO Saturn V kit I spotted this Lunar Lander kit which looked interesting. Cost £8 and you get 2laser cut metal sheets that you have to bend and link together. As a first try at something like this it was probably not the best to start with.

The tools you need are snips, tweezers, a selection of small pliers, and a massive magnifying glass! On the packet it says age 14 and above. That should have an upper limit of about 30yrs. For my age my eyesight is pretty good - still don’t need specs. The final result isn’t too bad but there are definitely improvements if I did it again. Also using gold leaf could be better but as that was my first try....

293607F7 B62C 4114 89F3 EBD9915535FE 3F07D1D8 F28D 4D0A 940B BD951D3A6D0E 3AF9355C E97B 4EF2 B4C7 A2136EFE45A4 387586B0 2D65 417C B55B F07887F773A4

Reactions: JiggaK and lakaelo
nice. we had some similar models in my old company and we are talking about to sell this stuff. as we decided that we don´t going into business with that i took the big ben and some double decker plane models for me. had them long time on my desk :D was hard enough to built that with my chubby fingers and raise my head for your luna model.

nice. we had some similar models in my old company and we are talking about to sell this stuff. as we decided that we don´t going into business with that i took the big ben and some double decker plane models for me. had them long time on my desk :D was hard enough to built that with my chubby fingers and raise my head for your luna model.

This one actually came from Germany in a box you could have got a six pack of beer in! I think the result is not bad at all but as you say trying to make them with fingers like bratwurst adds to the challenge. :) That you can get a 3D model out of a flat sheet of metal is amazing to me (though I am easily pleased). I have the same awe the designers get for the LEGO kits and those people that make complicated packaging out of one peice of cardboard.

I might try a couple more because I found it relaxing (if a bit frustrating) to make it.

Thought I would try an “easier” one. Pleased with the result but the fuselage being in two parts makes it an absolute pig to make. It also says part bend the back end in to a tube and then attach the rear wings and fin but then you can’t get in there to fix them properly. Had to use hot glue in the end. Trying to get the front and back fuselage sections to be the same shape must be a special skill that I don’t have. Still fun to make though even if there were quite a few sweary words uttered at times. :)

770BA754 03FC 4A59 9CBB 536DB86CF0F1

Users who are viewing this thread