Mac And Cheese Recipe

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
The ingredients for this are rough as I never measure them. Next time I make it I will use scales....

About 20 grams butter
About 20 grams plain flour
1.5 generous dessert spoons of dijon mustard
Milk
Big wedge of Red Leicester cheese (grated) 250gms?
Macaroni

1. Heat hot slightly salted water till boiling then add the macaroni
  2. In a saucepan on a highish heat melt the butter
  3. Add in the flour and whisk (by hand) them together
  4. After a couple of minutes of whisking add about 50mls of milk whisking all the time and add more milk if necessary to get a smooth thickish sauce. Doesn’t need to be too thick.
  5. Continue whisking the sauce and gradually add the cheese
  6. Keep on a highish heat so the cheese melts and continue whisking at this point tirn the heat down to keep it warm and stir occasionally
  7. Check the macaroni to see if it cooked.
  8. Once it is cooked drain it and then return it to the pan and the heat to get as much water out of it
  9. After about a minute mix the macaroni into the cheese sauce stiring until completely mixed
  10. Serve with a chiabata roll or baguette and some shavings of parmesan.
I use Red Leicester cheese as I find that gives the best texture in the end. You need a cheese that is a bit harder but it depends on what you like too - just experiment. Sometimes cheddar can go a bit claggy. If you whisk the sauce as you make it is quite hard to get it lumpy. The resulting white sauce could be used as the basis for other sauces if you omit the mustard. I use dijon as it ads flavour to the sauce but you could use English mustard or even wasabi - depends on your taste.

It is easy to make and quite cheap, about €3 for a meal for two or 3 if you are less generous. :)

Reactions: Redd Tedd

Users who are viewing this thread