Kelpies

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Wasn't raining today so decided to go and get some pictures of the Kelpies near me. They are sculptures that are either side of the Forth & Clyde Canal Extension (the Falkirk wheel is a bit further up the canal). Of course once I got home it brightened up a fair bit. Looking forward to getting some early morning/late evening shots at some point.

Some info:

300 tonnes each
30 metres high
1200 tonnes of steel-reinforced concrete foundations per head
990 unique stainless steel skin plates
Built on site in 90 days

Attachments

• _IGP3290.jpg
    _IGP3290.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 8
  • _IGP3328.jpg
    _IGP3328.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 12
  • _IGP3350.jpg
    _IGP3350.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 11
  • _IGP3351.jpg
    _IGP3351.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 10
  • _IGP3377.jpg
    _IGP3377.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 11
  • _IGP3388.jpg
    _IGP3388.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 10
Can't find the costs but I've seen £25 million mentioned! Nice, but that probably could be spent elsewhere. Quite a lot of foreign tourists there so maybe that helps to bring £ in. If Scotland gets independence, UK should demand one of them in the divorce settlement!"

Can't find the costs but I've seen £25 million mentioned! Nice, but that probably could be spent elsewhere. Quite a lot of foreign tourists there so maybe that helps to bring £ in. If Scotland gets independence, UK should demand one of them in the divorce settlement!"

when is the vote for scotland getting an own state?

Think the vote is in September. I'll be voting "No" but I'm English!

If the vote is yes I'll be going home.

UK population is about 65 million, Scotland is about 6 million. Those 6 million will need to fund (by various taxes) the country and I don't see how that is possible. Just running the current parliament cost each person £12 add to that the £ (not that it will be the pound, probably have to trade in sheep or groats) required for infrastructure and all the other costs we won't have any money left!

Users who are viewing this thread