Holiday pics from Washington DC and around Chattanooga

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Here are some rough edits from the holiday. We went to Washington DC at the beginning and did the usual touristy things and then drove down to Alabama for a week. Whilst in Alabama we went to Huntsville where the Saturn V was developed (and built?) and also went on the Tennessee Valley Railroad. We then returned to DC and did the Pentagon Tour. Unfortunately you can't take any pictures or video in there as there is loads of artefacts on display. Fascinating tour which was more exciting when a few of us on the tour exited by the wrong door to be greeted by a couple of soldiers with assault rifles! I'll add more pictures and video as I edit them (must have about 20hours of video to go through).

(Vdeos may still be processing at the time this was posted)

Some pictures are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glenwilson/sets/72157648122499382/

Railway Video here: [video=youtube_share;aOVRe0xI4nc]http://youtu.be/aOVRe0xI4nc[/video]

Sunrise time-lapse: [video=youtube;J4WUPvrDHbw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4WUPvrDHbw[/video]

Hotel room time-lapse: Reagan International 1 - YouTube

Last edited:
Odp: Holiday pics from Washington DC and around Chattanooga

Beautiful holiday, I envy :)

Awesome perspectives + spectacular motives = breathtaking pictures.
Thank you, Glen.
I’m already looking forward to watching your video. :)

Sunrise video now added to the original post and I'll add the other time-lapse when YouTube gets around to finish doing whatever it is doing.

Both great videos glen love the Locomotive
Did you use your camera or Gopro for videos and time lapse would like to know

Like all your pic's glen on flickr
Great keep them coming

Last edited:
Both great videos glen love the Locomotive
Did you use your camera or Gopro for videos and time lapse would like to know

Like all your pic's glen on flickr
Great keep them coming

Timelapse was done using the GoPro set for 1 pic every 10 seconds and then created using Timelapse software on the Mac. Need to experiment more with settings and angles as, though you can review the individual shots you can't really see much until you make the video. The Reagan Airport video (if YouTube ever finishes what it is doing) was done over about 8 hours with the camera on the hotel window and a power supply to keep the camera going. Though there was a lot going on with the planes, trains, cars and a boat I think the shot interval was too small so you don't get the idea that some of the trains were about 1.5 miles (2.5km) long.

The train video was made using a mixture DSLR and Sony Video camera and planting the GoPro next to the track. Quick edit in Windows Live Movie Maker. Looking at Premier Elements and Final Cut Pro for doing some "proper" editing.

Seeing the shuttle Discovery and the Saturn V rockets was amazing because of the sheer size of the things. The cabin was great too, fantastic views when having breakfast and dinner and in the hot tub with a beer (or two or three). Discovered some great new beers on this visit many from Maine.

More photos uploaded to Flickr.

AW: Holiday pics from Washington DC and around Chattanooga

i see to short videos but where are the Pictures

Re : Holiday pics from Washington DC and around Chattanooga

Better (or worst) than a japanese tourist !!! (...volcano eruption in Japan !..)
As much beautiful your pictures are, I guess the best ones are in your mind !

Saturn V, thanks to WWII, thought by Wernher von Braun, the german engineer who is V2 missiles' father !

Re: Re : Holiday pics from Washington DC and around Chattanooga

Better (or worst) than a japanese tourist !!! (...volcano eruption in Japan !..)
As much beautiful your pictures are, I guess the best ones are in your mind !

Saturn V, thanks to WWII, thought by Wernher von Braun, the german engineer who is V2 missiles' father !

Photos this time are a bit more "touristy" mainly because of the places we went to and types of things we saw. Only took about a 1,000 pictures (excluding the 10,000 or so for the time-lapse stuff) whereas last year I took about 5,000 of Yellowstone. Though the Great Smoky National Park is the most visited we found it to be pretty boring and full of trees! Much prefer the likes of Bryce and Zion canyons, Canyonlands NP, Arches and the like where things are visually more interesting and almost everywhere you look there is a photo to be taken. There are still places I would like to visit in the USA but many are far apart making it impractical to visit unless you are going to spend each night in a different hotel and each day on a different plane. Really fancy going to Alaska though. Would like to go to China and other countries around there but the thought of a 12 hour flight squeezed in to an economy seat sends all sorts of panic to my head!

WW2 was the start of the rocket age. My mum still remembers the V-1 flying over London and waiting for the explosion when the engine ran out and it started to drop. They were pretty effective when you compare the damage, volume of explosives delivered and fuel used compared to conventional bombers. She also remembers the first V-2 hitting Chiswick just along the road from where my mum lived. Some of the German technology towards the end of the war was pretty interesting when you look at the jets that were starting to be developed - if they had been introduced earlier things may have been different.

Seeing the Saturn V and Shuttle makes you appreciate how brave (or stupid) astronauts were/are sitting in such a tiny capsule on so much fuel. Given the technology and computing power of the period it is amazing that they got to the moon and back yet it is probably still as difficult to do in current times.

Re : Holiday pics from Washington DC and around Chattanooga

China !!???... I don't really like this country ... Tibet or Nepal (Kathmandu !), ... far from tsunamis !..
Maldive Islands, where your grandsons couldn't go !?...
Oceania !?
Volcano tourism !?...

First know how to kill people before having them dreaming !!!
Which every-day technologic product is not a military idea !? Is the hair-dryer coming from the flame-thrower !??...
The first hybrid diesel/electric vehicle was... a tank ! The Tiger, the concept build by Ferdinand Porsche but it was lacking reliability.
So it's the Henschel's model, a fuel diesel one, that has been masse producted.
The Maus was diesel/electric too !... Now, it's Audi R18 e-tron ...

No oil, no gas, no diamonds, ... on Moon ! Only cheap dust and stones ! Do you want to buy some !??
So, what's worth going there !!!...
I rather think how more stupid the technicians have been for the 2 shuttle accidents ...
Wanna go to Mars !??...

I don't play lotto so I don't go in aircrafts !

Last edited:
A rough edit of the video we took is about 90 minutes long! Took me about 3 hours of editing to get to there. Doesn't help that the wife makes the camera jerk when she presses the stop button so every segment she did had to have a few seconds cut off at the end. What I might do is edit the museum stuff into smaller videos so if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread