Großdeutschland symbol

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
I will be getting a large scale 1/16 model of a Sturmgeschütz III soon. There only a few decals for it: the German cross and a white helmet symbol. This seems to indicate the Stug was in the Großdeutschland division of the Wehrmacht. Have been trying to find out more but not come up with anything. Is this considered a Nazi symbol in this context? I know that historically tanks and planes have those symbols but I really don't like using them so wanted to make sure what this means before putting it on.

B5CDBD89 035B 4302 80B4 053290A5404F

I will be getting a large scale 1/16 model of a Sturmgeschütz III soon. There only a few decals for it: the German cross and a white helmet symbol. This seems to indicate the Stug was in the Großdeutschland division of the Wehrmacht. Have been trying to find out more but not come up with anything. Is this considered a Nazi symbol in this context? I know that historically tanks and planes have those symbols but I really don't like using them so wanted to make sure what this means before putting it on.

View attachment 14252
just had a look what i can found in german but it looks like the panzerdevision großdeutschland was using a other symbol at all. the iron cross is still in use i a other version.

This seems to be the symbol as far as I can find (with the GD):

703A3ACF 64AC 473E AF66 03FAD4AA0E7A

Perhaps symbols of various wehrmacht divisions are all considered associated with the nazis/war crimes, not only e.g. the SS…🤔

That is so complicated that I won't be even trying to... (and I don't even know enough to dare)
We would have to be there and then to understand what was it like to be recruited, what was it like to be at the front and what was in their heads.
Not whole Wermacht accepted the regime, same as tons of wermacht soldiers were commiting war crimes under its flag. That is right.
You can take a look... there were tens of attempts to assasinate Hitler and couple of them came directly from Wermacht. But was it the fact they did not agree with the regime or the fact he lead them to certain defeat?
Nothing in the world is black or white that is all.

What I'm trying to say is I would have no problem putting it on, it is just the fact that you are interested in history. For example. I know groups of guys that are playing airsoft reconstructing ww2 operations, so yeah half of them are wearing wermacht uniforms, yet none of them is nazi. It is the fact that nazi regime did not happen somewhere in paralel universe, but it is a part of the german history - so it used alot of common german symbols that originally had nothing to do with it. We were talking about it elsewhere. It cannot ban these symbols for me. Just look at the Rammstein eagle logo. Sus right? But nah, because it is just the german eagle, eventhough it was used by nazi regime.

Thanks for the comments. I spent quite a while looking for info on it. I don't want to just whitewash history or ignore it but at the same time I don't think emblems like the swastika add to a model even if it is historically correct. Hadn't seen the white helmet symbol before and there doesn't seem to be much info either.

Probably should have thought about it - the company that makes the kit is German so I guess would not use a symbol if it was not safe to do so.

Reactions: StrrawberryA
Thanks. The German cross is OK as that is just a national identifier and is still current and isn't related to the regime at that time. The white helmet symbol may well be associated though. Will just leave it off as it isn't a huge part of the insinia.

Users who are viewing this thread