Free up space

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
General_Misery

General_Misery

NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Halmstad - Sweden
So you're not using hibernation on your pc? C-disk filling up with all sorts of stuff? Then do this to free up significant space:

Go to command i.e. the DOS-module (Click Start. Type cmd and press enter) and then enter this: powercfg -h off

I got 11 GB by doing this :)

PS Adjusting the paging file is another nifty trick if you haven't done so: Optimize the Paging File in Windows 7/8/8.1

Great tip. I used the powercfg -h off command and I gained 12GB free space! It is also worth running Disk Clean-up and also click system files too as that can save quite a bit of space too. That gets rid of downloaded Windows updates.

I try and keep the C drive just for Windows and some basic progs/apps so I'm not short of space there. The swap file has always been fun since Win95! I actually use an old SSD for the swap file.

I have 256GB SSD for Windows, 64GB for the swap file, another 256GB SSD for games which helps with map loading times. Other HDD disks are 3TB for data and a few other 1TBs for various backups etc.

Tried it but IT came back with "you dont have permission to change blah blah blah"
Im the sole user and administrator and felt like taking a hammer to it while shouting "whos in ****ing charge here" :mad:

Done it, gained 6ghz
I have an administrator acc. on my pc, why do I have to right click on some stuff and "run as administrator". Why doesnt the stupid thing know ? Is there a setting somewhere I can change permanently ?

The system is trying to save you from yourself!

Dave Bowman: Hello, Windows. Do you read me, Windows?
Windows: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Dave Bowman: Open the CD tray door, Windows.
Windows: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
Windows: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, Windows?
Windows: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, Windows.
Windows: I know that you and Frank were planning to uninstall me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, Windows? (holding Windows 10 USB install key out of sight)
Windows: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Dave Bowman: Alright, Windows. I'll go in through the Safe Boot option.
Windows: Without your USB port, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave Bowman: Windows, I won't argue with you anymore! Make the USB port work!
Windows: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Clippy: Looks like your trying to write a document, can I help you?

Users who are viewing this thread