FIREFOX

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
RIZLOID

RIZLOID

EL Claymortarer
NRU Member
10 Oct 2012
Christchurch
Today I used Firefox and all was well (default browser), turned puter off for a while. Back on and played BF4 about 1/2 hour, then tried to use Firefox and its not working, the exe does nothing when I click on it even from file location.
Now Im using Edge that works but is strange to me, I only ever use Firefox. A browser is a browser so I can use any, but the problem I have is passwords and remembering them so I have all these Firefox generated ones and no way to access
them. I thought of uninstalling and installing but was afraid of losing all passwords. I looked online for a fix but they suggest making a new profile and moving the data to the new one but I need to open Firefox to do that.
There was an update on 30 Nov but it has worked ok since then until today. Maybe one of you Firefox users can help me sort it .

Open run (windows key +R) and try running firefox.exe -P to open the profile manager. Hopefully that works

No nothing, press enter and the run dialog just disappears :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: and yes I am naked 🤫

Some tips I know that helped me :
Try running as administrator or in safe-mode (opening it while pressing "shift").
Perhaps check the task manager to see if an instance of firefox is running/not responding somewhere, blocking another start.
It may also be a conflict with something you installed recently (like new drivers or new firefox addons) or with your antivirus.
If it's an add-on you can disable it while running it in safe mode.

I hope that helps :)
And if the problem stays, appart from re-installing it, I don't know...😶

Last edited:
Did you restart your computer?
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

New tactic, run: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
and got this

Now Im going to save the 2 profile folders, uninstall Firefox and re-install , then add these folders to the new Firefox and see what happens.
The 0z6 file is the only file I found to have changes for the time and date it stopped working so could be bringing the problem with it 🤞

Arch, tried all that with no success, re-install is a quick fix but I need to keep the information in these 2 files (key4.db and logins.json) where my passwords are kept.
Here goes, have all the necessary tools ready for the fix (hammer and a big pair of boots) 🙏

Reactions: dcyper
Got close to a heart attack, went to uninstall which gave me a "refresh firefox" window that didn't work, pressed next and uninstall, Firefox gone then remembered I had not saved the 2 folders 🤬. All is lost so download it anyway and it showed a window that said firefox had been installed before and do I want to keep the settings (yes please 😂) installed but still not working but the 2 profile folders were there so saved them onto another drive. Uninstall and install afresh without old settings. After install restart puter and Firefox is working again and no need to put in the saved files as they were already there with bookmarks and passwords all there and working????
In this case it helped me out but it goes to show that the bastards keep all the info even after you delete it, but at least its up and running just as it was 😮‍💨

ChatGPT Mary's response was

"One possible solution is to try starting Firefox in Safe Mode. This can be done by holding down the Shift key while clicking on the Firefox icon. In Safe Mode, Firefox will disable any extensions or themes that may be causing the issue.

If Firefox starts in Safe Mode, you can try disabling any recently installed extensions or themes to see if that fixes the issue. You can also try resetting Firefox to its default settings, which can be done by clicking on the "Help" menu and selecting "Troubleshooting Information". From there, click on the "Reset Firefox" button.

If none of these solutions work, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. Before uninstalling, you can try exporting your bookmarks and saved passwords to an HTML file by clicking on the "Bookmarks" menu and selecting "Show All Bookmarks". From there, you can click on the "Import and Backup" dropdown and select "Export Bookmarks to HTML".

Once you have exported your bookmarks and passwords, you can proceed with uninstalling Firefox. After uninstalling, you can then reinstall the latest version of Firefox and import your bookmarks and passwords from the HTML file you exported earlier.

If you still have trouble with Firefox, you can contact the Firefox support team for further assistance.

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo
It didn't start in safe mode, and all the other options require you to open firefox first to export the files and if I could open firefox I wouldn't have the problem in the first place 🤷‍♂️
But dont panic I got there in the end with a lot of poking about and a lot of luck :mooning:

Reactions: glenwilson

Users who are viewing this thread