Dehumidifier

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
We have to use a dehumidifier as our house has crappy natural ventilation. Got one four years ago for £99. Has worked fine. A few months back it started making some weird noises so opened it up, gave it a good clean as there was some dust build up inside. The only mechanical part was the fan motor so that was the problem. Put it back together and generally the noise was OK until a few days ago when the motor bearing gave out. No dramatic smokejust an awful screeching sound.

Took it apart again to see if I could get a replacement motor. Yes I could. Only $1.49 each. Just need to find someone who needs 14,999 to get them at that price! The motor unit is exactly the same as those used in fan ovens but the cheapest one I could find was £50. As that was half the price the original unit and it is possible something else could fail, getting a replacement would be the better option.

The same unit that was £99 4 years ago was now £206! I have really tried to find a reason for what could have caused such a rise in price like that. Nothing springs to mind anything that could cause such an increase. At least we have 🤬blue 🤬 passports 🤬 now. Had another search around and Costco was doing one for £250 with a 25l per day capacity (the old one we had was 15l). Had another look and they had a special offer on a 30l per day version for £240! Same physical size.

Can you not just replace the bearings ?
What type of bearing is it ?, sleeve (brass tube) roller or ball ?
If the shaft isn't damaged measure it and replace just the bearings.
Post some pics of the motor and bearings

Sorry, it has gone to please the recycling entity. Looked like a sealed unit with no obvious way in.

I just thought if it was a brass sleeve I could make it on my lathe, the others can be picked up on Ebay real cheap just need outer and shaft sizes.

Laka do you need me to make you another one ?

no, i am still fine. (y):LOL:
kiss my ass a mans butt GIF

Thanks for the offer Riz. Don't want to deny Lak of his, er, item.

Don't think it would be worth it as the fridge unit is likely to fail at some point which is why I didn't think it was worth getting a replacement. This is similar to the one in the unit. Drive didn't feel particularly loose and initially thought there was just a dust build up on the fan but that was OK. It was just a surprisingly loud metal on metal grinding sound.

7A584C9B 30E0 4F50 8542 D3156B07A6EC

Users who are viewing this thread