Current project

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
We have this stool/steps that must be 40+ years old. We got it from Iz’s parents and they had it quite a while. It has obviously been well used over the years and the steps make it useful when you don’t need a step ladder but need a little height. I have tried to find something similar but have not found anything like it at all.

I would have like to have completely dismantled it but the rods cannot be removed without cutting the ends are deformed to keep them on and there isn’t sufficient excess to reform them.

The seat was held on with 4 bolts but they are some weird seat thread combination that I have not been able to find. The fixings used for the bolts are too thin to drill and tap with new threads. The seat is also chipboard that has seen better days so will need to have a lot of attention. Will get some wood to create a seat and use the router to finish it off.

The steps were held on with rusted screws that took awhile to remove. After that the were hand sanded with 60 grit sandpaper to remove the paint. They will now be finished using and electric sander and probably just finished using teak oil.

The frame has been masked off and primed ready for painting the top coats.

Not a “Project Son” level of complexity but is a satisfying project.

D406C74E 90C7 4B59 9E9B 59524FF7026D 7EB5B706 9E09 46D0 AB38 F9633ED1AEFC 66DC0F73 389B 4877 9A63 D93AAD6AE1DA

always having a laugh about this kind of "design" from the 60/70th. the intersting part of this is the quallity. when you buy this kind of suff today you can be glad its worrking for some month or 5 times usinng before it is breaking in parts under your ass.

That is true. Nothing wrong with this apart from the seat plastic and foam was split. Had spent a few months looking for something similar but nothing. The frame is solid and the steps still OK.

Now done the primer and was going to spray paint it satin black. Wife suggested some yellow paint we had. I was sceptical but better to do what she said. My scepticism was justified, now have to sand it down as the paint was shite but at least I did what I was told! 😐

B903A74A 4F79 4E87 80A3 F30E883CF0E3

Wow ! Shines like lakas eggs :)

Literally have tears in my eyes laughing! Thank you.

So project stool/steps will be sanded today and treat that awful paint as undercoat. Will use spray paint to get a decent finish on it. I know only we will see it but I would still like to like the result.

Second attempt at painting started. Also going for an MDF seat. Did look at other alternatives but the cost of a natural wood piece that wood be durable (and from a sustainable source) was going to be about €30 at least. Also have new rubber feet for it too. Once the painting is complete I can start on the seat. Just need to cut the MDF and rout the edges and then sand and finish it. Final cost should be about €25 but as I said I have not seen a suitable replacement and this should keep it going for a lot longer.

0B9D2681 AF09 4D30 939E 131A65AF1DC1

Reactions: edgarsmelderis12
Hadn’t planned on doing anything today but as the painting was finished I started on the seat. Cut the MDF using circular saw. The used the router for the edges. Not used the router for quite a while so had a quick practice first. Wife complained that wifi was iffy when using the router. 😁

Sanded the seat and gave it a few coats of teak oil. Will give it a few more sands as the oil raises the wood grain. May give it a coat of varnish at some point - will see how things wear. Pleased with the result though.

FF287A67 0D2C 43F1 8620 4148F619488E FA6A60CF D0DC 415D A940 A21454ACFEA5 ACF0EDBE E151 4767 B526 03FBBF1B715E EBAF7D9E AE2C 4722 8639 DA093616FD61

Reactions: lakaelo
Had originally used 30mm screws through the frame but I needed 35mm length screws as 40mm were too long. You can’t seem to get 35mm screws. Eventually the screws were not good enough so went with a countersunk bolt through the seat. This should give a lot more strength. Just nee to sand down the seat panel again after filling the holes and then finish it.

722E5041 D209 41C3 A5DB A77DECC8E8E2

Users who are viewing this thread