Camera and lenses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
The photo below shows the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens. What is nice about this lens is that it is f2.8 throughout the zoom range rather than changing as you zoom. That lot weighs about 3kg so not something for hanging on your neck. Either use a tripod/monopod or a Blackrapid strap so it hangs across the shoulder and not your neck.

The other two lenses are the Sigma 70-300 zoom that was £99 and a 500mm Tamron mirror lens. The Tamron is lightweight and good for long distance and wildlife but you need to whack up the ISO for any hand-held use. You also get some nice/weird donut bokeh with it. Think it is about f9. On a film camera it is 500mm but on my DSLRs it has a x1.5 factor so works as a 750mm! Try hand holding that and getting sharp images!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 24
you would be a good stalker with all this high MM's ;)

You have to make your portraits from 100m away with your 900mm lens ;) do you ?

nice to see ( a litle part? of) your equip :D

Uncle Glen is that you? :)

Attachments

• nude-photography-demotivational-poster-1239923347.jpg
    nude-photography-demotivational-poster-1239923347.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 21
thas is our "kamera set". its a nicon 3100 with a nikon 18-55 and a nikon 55-200. the big lense is a tamron 70-300 4-5.6 Di SP VC USD. we use this mostly because of taking pics outsite with the dogs or landscape.

thinking about a prime lens to buy but guess first i would buy a full format body as next.

Attachments

• 16009311819_5b87753e88_k.jpg
    16009311819_5b87753e88_k.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 19
My kits is:

Bodies: Pentax k5 and k5 Mk2 (need to have spare body for when I'm working plus plenty of batteries). Don't use the battery grip in general as it is just some extra weight to have around your neck when working. If I'm going to be doing a lot of portrait shots then the grip makes the camera more comfortable to hold. The other advantage is that you can also use AA batteries in the holder in an emergency should the normal batteries expire.
Lenses: 10-20mm, 18-50mm, 50mm, 70-200, 70-210, 70-300, 500mm (and some older spares). For work I use the 18-50 f2.8 as I often have to work in small areas and with the light during the current season having a fast lens helps a lot. I have taken this lot on holiday but carry on was nearly 20kg and trying not to sweat when they ask to see you carry on bag at check-in was fun! Depends on where we are going as to what kit gets taken.
Pentax and Sigma flash guns with remote trigger and receivers. LED array for product shots
Three tripods of various heights and weights and a monopod
Various filters most are the square type with NDs most useful for long exposures but for work I use a circular polariser to help cut reflections.
Plus tons of other rubbish and gizmos.

Thanks for the Heads up Glen with Sigma 70 200mm

My setup so far is Nikon D5300 DX Body Which came with a 18 140mm F3.5 to 5.6
Brought second hand Nikon 50mm F1.8 which is a great portrait lens
Brought second hand Nikon 60mm F2.8 Macro which is my Favourite lens quality from this is amazing as you may have seen on Flickr
And last but no least Sigma 17 70mm F2.8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127261838@N08/

P1000961

I also have 2 Manfotto tripods normal size and mini
Yonguno flash like quarter of the price of Nikon
A 24ltr lowpro back pack for all Nikon gear
Assorted memory cards, filters batteries blah blah blah

So on my wish list a 70 200mm F2.8
Also to upgrade to a FX Nikon body full 35mm sensor size then I will be a happy man.

Last edited:
Camera stuff can be a bit like games, phones and so on where they have their own fanboys. If i didn't have a stack of Pentax lens then I would probably go for a Nikon. But like a lot of things you should choose what you feel comfortable with regardless of the name on the kit.

I forgot about camera bags! I have six(ish) I think. Backpacks, rollers, shoulder, ok I have a camera bag fetish!

Users who are viewing this thread