Brewery Tales

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Brewery tales

Joining

I had always enjoyed science based studies but the school and teachers I attended showed little interest except to show up, spew a lot of words, write on the blackboard and then go home. Looking back they were awful. There was no enthusiasm and they didn’t really care if we learnt anything.

Managed to get O levels in Chemistry, Physics and Biology plus a few others. Not maths as I am numerically dumb! I can do the basics but algebra and the other stuff just baffled me and teachers didn’t care (as I may have mentioned).

Had no idea of what career I wanted to take so went to the careers office and they sent me for an interview at a brewery! The same brewery my grandfather worked at. Got on the train and got ready to get off at the station only for it to not stop! Anyway, got back to the place and apologised profusely and got the job.

It was in the central laboratory for Watney, Mann and Truman (of Red Barrel fame – more on that later). They are no longer around. I also worked for TWA (no longer around), Coca-Cola Southern Bottlers (no longer around), Scottish Equitable (no longer around), seems to be a trend here. Only British Airways seems to have survived having me as an employee!

Each brewery had its own production lab to test brews through the production process but we at the Central Lab tested monthly samples of all the beer produced to make sure there was consistency between breweries and we also tested competitors products. We also did pilot brewing with a small lab brewery which then went to a pilot brewery for larger scale testing.

The brewery I worked in was by the River Thames at Mortlake.

Testing

Beers were tested for a wide range of things. A bit rusty on some of the actual processes and this was 40+years ago and chances are a lot of these tests have been automated by now.

Colour: Put a sample in a tube and compare that to calibrated colour samples.

Sugars: Hated doing this as it was a long process which was OK but you needed to make up various solutions for the process. One was to mix concentrated hydrochloric and sulphuric acids together. This involved a lot of safety gear and generated a lot of heat when you did it. I can remember that you had to boil the beer and then do the sort of stuff you see on TV with things bubbling!

Bitterness – cannot remember how we did this one at all.

Viscosity

Alcohol – this was done by taking a known volume of beer and evaporating off the alcohol and calculating the volume of alcohol.

Head Retention – basically how long a beers head lasts. We would get 100ml of beer in a vertical tube and pass CO2 through it at a consistent rate. This would create the head and we would then measure the time it would take for the head to decay.

Metals – we used atomic absorption spectrophotometry to measure metal content in beers. Metals are present in the raw materials (the grain, yeast and water) but some are added during the production process even though most equipment is stainless steel. Main metals were copper, potassium, sodium but we also tested for rare metals like arsenic.

Overall we did about 40 tests on the monthly beer samples from all the breweries.

Tasting

Beer tasting training was a six week course. The idea was to build up your skills so everyone was tasting the same thing and then you would score it out of 10 to give an overall profile of the beers characteristics. Unlike wine tasting we used to swallow! The parameters were aroma, taste, mouth feel, body and aftertaste.

In each of those groups you would have particular things to look for and score. Some beers were quite floral because of the hops and others were quite bland. Once the basic beer profile had been tasted any other tastes could be added and one I remember was Gorilla’s Armpit. Of the 5 tasters on the panel if two noted the same aroma or taste then the others also had to score it. For one beer two thought it tasted like a Gorilla’s Armpit so that became an accepted thing to look for.

Tasting sessions usually lasted about an hour and we had five beers to taste. Was quite often a little worse for wear when going home and I was only 16 at the time.

Other functions

Being the central lab we used to do other testing and development. One team would develop new beers. These would be done in small batches of about 5 litres would go through the tasting process. After that it would go into the pilot brewery for a bigger production of about 100l before possibly going into production. That was a fun place to work.

We also extracted lupulin from hops in a sub basement area. We had huge bags of hops weighing about 100kg that we would process.This place was great as it was about 3 floors below ground so was always cool even in really hot summers. The downside was that there were huge rats down there.

Occasionally we would have to evaluate new new equipment like beer barrels. Most of these were similar but one of the test was the high impact resilience test. This was to see how strong they were as they were usually thrown about, off and onto lorries, down into pub cellars and so on. One test we did was to fill up the 50l keg and lob it off the roof of the brewery. Very scientific and lots of fun!

We would have to get samples from competitors pubs too. Had to plan a route to get particular beers. In London it was OK because you could do about 50 pubs in a day but the suburb runs were more fun.

Other stuff

Red Barrel was a famous beer we produced. This was a time before craft beers and “traditional” beers were pretty average. What was special about Red Barrel was its special ingredient. Pubs used to collected all the slops (the beer when a glass overflowed into the collection tray when being poured and any beer left in glasses) as duty had been paid on it and was money literally down the drain. So this was collected and pasteurised and added to Red Barrel giving it its unique flavour. Because the slops were so variable it was really hard to make each batch to same so colouring and other bits had to be added.

We had a big bottling plant in Isleworth. We used to bottle and can beers for supermarkets as well as Watneys. There were five core beers sent there but about 30 different beers used to come out after various flavours, hops, colours were added.

Some of the people in the lab were real characters. One of the chemists, Roger, would nip down first thing in the morning to get a sample crate of beer and then gradually drink it during the day! Quite often you would go in to their lab and you would find a lump of potassium sitting on the desk smouldering. Some were really mad scientist like.

Some of the tests we did you needed to use Trinitrotoluene (TNT) as part of the process. The form we had was a bright green gel which said it was a contact explosive. We tried really hard and couldn’t get it to do anything.

The old brewery at Mortlake was very traditional with beer being brewed in batches but they built a new one there that was almost a continuous production line process. Nothing like the decent beers available now. The brewery is no longer there but below are some old photos of the place.

8E0F2DE5 1F9C 4FC3 8204 C3E95B55A084 AE45232D 3C9F 4B84 9A49 1CB5B013690F D18E5758 2F86 4DE9 BDAA 875A833EDA34 1A89D324 4612 493E A788 F066F52DCD60

After the brewery I worked for Coca-Cola (Southern Bottlers). There used to be the Coca-Cola company and then thre were franchise holders who made and bottled the stuff in a particular region. We had the south of England (Birmingham down).

Again I worked in the Central Lab and used to make routine unannounced visits to factories to check that their hygiene and production methods were up to standard. We had about eight factories to visit and would do them in a random order and just turn up.

One factory was down in Devon and was always a good trip. Generally we used to stay in pubs down there as there weren't any decent affordable hotels. Cheap rooms and amazing food. 😁 What was weird is that they always knew when a visit was. They either had a mole in Head Office or the bugged the place. This was before email and PCs and mobile phones. We stopped booking accommodation in case the pubs were letting them know we were going to do an inspection. The product produced there was the best in the country. Each factory had a water treatment plant that helped ensure that Coke tasted consistent worldwide. But even with that the water they used you could tell it was made there even in a blind tasting.

Another factory in London used to produce all the post-mix syrup for the machines in pubs and restaurants. When we turned up there they would literally lock me out so I couldn't get in until they had cleaned up all that they kknew they shouldn't be doing. It was usually the equipment they were using and some dodgy hygiene practices that were the issue.

Was on a visit to the Bristol factory once and the manager was making a batch of syrup ready for the morning production. Making the syrup was mixing a load of sugar with water and then mixing in the two ingredient containers that were part A and then part B. The manager had just put part B in when his watch fell of and into the tank. Within a few seconds there was a pile of clothes on the floor and he was diving in the tank to get his watch as it was an anniversary present!! Yes, the syrup was used despite that skinny dip. The same manager hit his forehead and split it open another time so he had some help bandaging it up. All was fine but he was annoyed the next day as he had gone home on the bus with a sanitary pad taped to his forehead!

TAB was the predecessor to Diet Coke. Awful stuff. We used to make one batch a year as nobody bought it. It was a real shite to make to with about 15 ingredient packages that had to be done in the right order or you ended up with a congealed mess. We discovered on time that we had about 50% left over after we had used all the cans. Someone had made it using twice as much water as it should have been. We got no complaints.

We merged with Cantrell and Cochrane's soft drinks division. After a while we were called into a meeting, there was a list of jobs and the people getting them. It was basically if your name is on the list you have a job and if you don't wait till the end of the meeting, get your cheque and sod off. Had to wait 90 minutes fuming about not having a job! We knew they were a nice company because they asked for loads of people to come in early one day. When they came in they found a plastic back on their desks and a letter. The letter said empty your desk and put your stuff in your stuff in the bag and make sure you are gone before others come in!

Reactions: Lady_Musketeer_GER

Users who are viewing this thread