Winter Tyres

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
It is surprising how complicated tyres can be. Whilst a set for winter and another for ‘summer’ would be ideal the main issue would be storing the unused set of tyres. After looking around I am tempted to go for a set that would be fine for summer use but are more aimed at adverse weather. These seem to have better rain and winter performance but are still OK for the summer. That seems to be a better compromise at the moment.

You have proper winters. We usually get slushy rubish snow that should come out of a machine with colouring and flavourings. The snow in March was proper stuff and normal road tyres were pretty useless even in a 4x4. Hadn’t really thought about them till then.

If you dont have many snow like us you could also think about AllSeason Tyres. They are not bad and you can use them summer and winter.
In the regions in Germany without that much snow they are very good and do their job.

If you dont have many snow like us you could also think about AllSeason Tyres. They are not bad and you can use them summer and winter.
In the regions in Germany without that much snow they are very good and do their job.

I think they were the ones that I had been looking as a good compromise. Are there any brands you would suggest looking at. I usually get michelin as I can get good prices. From some tests they seem to be generally OK. We do mainly town and autobahn driving but some roads up north are not off road but can be ‘interesting’. :)

A specific Brand I can't recommend.
But if you drive longer turns with higher speed on the Autobahn than definitaly look for some upper class Brands.
Those cheap tyres are not to recommend.

Had expected to get tyres sooner but this car seems to be less hard on them than the Modeo was. Had these on since I got it and have done over 20,000 miles in about 2 years. The mondeo would get through tyres in about 10,000 on the front.

Getting Michelin Cross Climate + fitted. They get good reviews at various places and seem to be good for a variety of conditions. Last year we had significant amounts of snow but so far this year hardly anything. There are other tyres/brands that may be better but it is actually finding a stockist. These are about £100 each. Will be interesting to see what they are like.

Had expected to get tyres sooner but this car seems to be less hard on them than the Modeo was. Had these on since I got it and have done over 20,000 miles in about 2 years. The mondeo would get through tyres in about 10,000 on the front.

Getting Michelin Cross Climate + fitted. They get good reviews at various places and seem to be good for a variety of conditions. Last year we had significant amounts of snow but so far this year hardly anything. There are other tyres/brands that may be better but it is actually finding a stockist. These are about £100 each. Will be interesting to see what they are like.
pfft. Michelin... Just get Nokian tyres.

Currently driving on Continental TS860
Was almost going to buy Good Year Ultra Grip 9 because those were cheaper than Continental, but managed to get 8 Continental tires for me and my dad with a 20% discount, so bought the continental ones.
Driving on snow is perfect and for me it was worth it, for sure they will last for the next 2-3 years!
For now, I'll stick with Continental because I never had problems, both summer and winter tires!
Even tho I was using Good Year before and yea, for me Continental is somehow better, only because of slower wearing down than the Good Year. At least by me :v
But as someone said before, pretty much everything of higher class is almost the same, the differences are minimal, probably keep the ones you're more used to.

Reactions: glenwilson
I think there are somethings on cars that you shouldn’t go cheap with and tyres is one of them. Brakes are another. Getting a 20% discount is quite a bit and makes sense. I try not to be a brand slave (except with something like phones/tablets where the eco system is easy but expensive to switch from). Most similar tyres from different manufacturers are generally in the same price area. Costco were doing a discount of £60 which moved the cross climate into the price range I had expected to pay.

The tyres fitted when I got the car were from a make I didn’t know or had heard of. Sometimes cornering at even modest speeds raised the blood pressure significantly. Already these tyres feel quite a bit better when cornering. Obviously this is subjective but these are quieter on local roads. Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference to fuel economy over the next few months.

Reactions: AndrejBosnaBVB
About the fuel ecomony, mine was ~ 6.5l/100km, now in the winter it's 7.1l/100km, It's a higher difference, but I guess it's because of the heating seats, defrosters etc. bit higher. Probably it has something to do with the tires and with the triction.
Also the mostly city drive is killing me -.-'

My fuel economy is an average over 2 years is 6..9L/100 or 40mpg (compared to the brochure figure of 43.5) isn’t too bad. Much of our journies tend to be shorter local trips but on longer journeys and touring around Europe we have got upto 55mpg even when loaded with beer!

Hey guys, just a quick remark, you could get a set of tires by Nexen, these are made in Korea and are fitted OEM by some of car manufacturers including Skoda, or Hyundai. I had them on my Ford Mondeo (dubbed "smoky rocketship") and these we god damn good.

Now with my Santa Fe I use Nokians, since I take more adventurous trips, but nexens were good!

Hey guys, just a quick remark, you could get a set of tires by Nexen, these are made in Korea and are fitted OEM by some of car manufacturers including Skoda, or Hyundai. I had them on my Ford Mondeo (dubbed "smoky rocketship") and these we god damn good.

Now with my Santa Fe I use Nokians, since I take more adventurous trips, but nexens were good!

Made a note of that and will check for next time.

Only had to fill up once since getting the new tyres so not particularly accurate but seem to be getting about 4 miles extra per gallon. Roughly 8% reduction in fuel over 300 miles. That is for mainly shortish trips around town. When working used to have to fill up nearly twice a week but now once every six weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread