Winter Tyres

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
I have never bothered about winter tyres before but was wondering if it is worth having a set?

Over this winter we have had a lot of snow and plenty of cold weather too. Obviously not the same as some of you Scandinavians and Eastern Europeans before you laugh! The tyres I have on seemed Ok on some of the snow but the recent batch of proper snow showed that they had some issues dealing with that.

Is there anything to look for particularly and when should you install them?

lol you really never used winter tires?? lol

here in germany you have to use them not at least for you insurance. here you have plenty of tests from all major car magazines which are the best for a good price. really now clue what or if you have some equal in UK

lol you really never used winter tires?? lol

here in germany you have to use them not at least for you insurance. here you have plenty of tests from all major car magazines which are the best for a good price. really now clue what or if you have some equal in UK

Never really needed them before. Weather is changing and snow and low temps more frequent.
--- Post updated ---
Still recommending those friction tyres.

Couldn't find anything here about them but will keep looking.

images

Here Glen these tyres apparently are the best for snow but rubbish for drifting:giggle:

Mandatory here for the winter months i.e. about four months. I have friction tyres and they are just fine as long as you don’t have arctic conditions IMO.

It all seem more complicated than it should be. Presumably you have them as a complete sets including wheels rather than swap tyres? Cannot find anything on friction tyres - just keeps coming up with friction coefficients.

Last edited:
Yes Glen, a complete set. Maybe do a search on winter tyres, not studded? Perhaps friction tyres is not a term used in the UK?

Oh, and winter tyres do make a difference even when there's no snow if it's cold.

Last edited:
We have it here like 15.11. till 15.04. so November - April when you must use winter tires.
Also I constantly use GoodYear, currently running on a set of GoodYear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-2, Happy with them :D But you could also consider buying some M+S aka all season tires, it's not a bad choice either

We have it here like 15.11. till 15.04. so November - April when you must use winter tires.
Also I constantly use GoodYear, currently running on a set of GoodYear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-2, Happy with them :D But you could also consider buying some M+S aka all season tires, it's not a bad choice either
We have used Nokian tyres in our family for years. They are just absolutely phenomenal :D

Never actually hear of them Witcheri, but probably those are like Kelly (ex. Debica) also good cheaper tires, used them before as the M+S version, but after changing to sets of winter/summer tires I also changed to GoodYear :v :D

Never actually hear of them Witcheri, but probably those are like Kelly (ex. Debica) also good cheaper tires, used them before as the M+S version, but after changing to sets of winter/summer tires I also changed to GoodYear :v :D
Good? Yes. Cheap? eeeehhhhh... No. Nokian Tyres is a finnish company. They make them in Nokia, Finland.

Well I said cheaper for those Kelly stuff, made in Poland, as I said didn't really heard of them before, probably those aren't available here :v
But if it's made in Finland, I bet winter tires are very good :D

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Also investigating all weather tyres rather than standard road tyres as that may give a better compromise than normal road ones. Hopefully the now should be out of the way now.

I will look at the cost of a set of wheels and tyres for winter though but will probably need new tyres soon so will have a look at price etc. We do about 15K km a year.

Reactions: AndrejBosnaBVB
Well in Germany its O to O but its Octobre till Easter (Ostern) with winter tires

Just ask your vendor what is suitable for winter :) i dont like all weather stuff - and good to know: winter tires have a maximum speed! i can drive 160 km/h with mine - oh i dont think your allowed to drive so fast anyways in britian :D
--- Post updated ---
(Its not only for snow but also usefull for ice!... almost a bit nearly sort of)

Be careful, Microsoft may buy them and kill them off. My current phone is a Nokia 520 as my iPhone 5S has some issues - waiting for either a new SE to be announced or if not get the current SE (I don't need an iPad sized phone as I already have an iPad or two).

Users who are viewing this thread