Windows 10

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Good suggestion - energy settings was the first thing I had looked at but they had carried over from Win 8. Couldn't find anything online with similar symptoms. It is annoying at the time but not so often that it is a big problem. It could be a display/driver problem or a hardware problem related to what I have installed.

Service pack should be out soon that will fix a lot of issues and add some functionality. Some have been reporting battery use is horrific on some devices with Win 10.

Haven't noticed any problems like that yet but Pc was a little busy yesterday but I noticed a small pause some times when you open a menu or going down menu levels but not enough of a problem to make you say Hmmm

Cannot get me memory to run at full speed on the New mother board which has pissed me off, had to stick with 1866 rather than 2133mhz :( tried adjusting timings etc.
So gonna have to do some research on this again me thinks, will probably get some memory that's on the QVL in manual (Qualified vendor list).
The memory I have now is not :( Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 16Gb 2133Mhz

Motherboards seem to be one of those things that can escalate. A bit like trying to diagnose an MB issue. It isn't like you usually have a spare you can swap in to try. Settings also seem to require a bit of mystic ability too!

Thought about upgrading but as mine is running OK at the moment (if not super fast) I will wait for the next gen of Intel after Skylake. Use that opportunity to go to a PCIE SSD and there should be another gen or two go graphics cards by then.

Finding youtube a bit glitchy just of late when you watch a video on fullscreen keeps getting a error code the video kicks into an advert then video resumes weird but still could be worse :)

Also had a little IE crash the other day, your PC is low on memory WTF 16GB Fuckoff...

Overall I think Win10 is fine. The Threshold 2 update in a month or so will add features as well as fixing a few things too. The Edge browser is a real dog and I never use it except when it opens automatically.

Still my only issue is that occasionally Win10 appears to go to sleep. There is a bing sound, the screen goes blank and it takes ages to respond to keyboard or mouse. I have been through all the power settings and all are set to 100% and "never" for shutting down, spinning down drives, and shutting off the screen. I've checked the event logs and cannot find an error prior to it doing this. Can happen mid-game, whilst browsing or basically at anytime. Doesn't do it every day or at a particular time.

Plan is to do a clean install but may wait until after my hols. Have been quite good by not installing a lot of rubbish on the PC so a reinstall is basically Windows, Office, Lightroom/Photoshop (plus plugins), iTunes. Games, music, data are all on other drives.

Argh. Have bitten the bullet and I'm going for a clean install. Not done on for a while, probably over two years ago and Windows 7 so plenty of cruft lying around. Doing restore from USB media. Also restoring iPhone back to iOS 8.4.1 as the iOS 9 beta was giving me a few issues with some apps that I really need. Also battery life was a real problem. One minute it would be 70% and then it would be 0%. Plug it in to charge and it would say 55%! So going back to iOS8.4.1 should show if it is the OS or the phone itself.

Done and dusted! Wiped the SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10. Installed essential apps and that all went fine. Went to check that it had activated OK and it wasn't. Was asking for a product key - wtf! Oh. Windows 10 Home had installed despite the media being Pro!! Downloaded Pro version (again) but that wouldn't install. To do an upgrade to the version above you have to go through the MS store. There was an option to upgrade to Pro which took about 10 minutes. Checked activation and it had. Now waiting to see if I get the sleep issue.

iPhone restore went well and now adding apps as I need them (apart from ones I know that I will want). Battery life still sucks so could be a battery issue but need to check.

Also, updated firmware on GoPro's too. They now have a few more options than before. Often worth checking for camera firmware updates as the can improve things.

Glad to here everything is going well on the fresh install glen can be a bit daunting or nerve racking if things start to go pear shaped
I'm sure youll be fine with Adobe ive Re installed Lightroom 6 plus Photoshop Elements 12 plus Premiere 12 as well but I will say lightroom seems a little bit glitchy or tends to pause then resumes

Only issue I have had since the clean install was when the PC booted once the screen was completely corrupted. Mouse was OK but the background was like noise. My initial though was "Oh damn :D I may need a new graphics card! However, tested it on the motherboards on-board graphics and that was the same :( so the problem was elsewhere. Had to boot a few times during sorting out the night ops install and it didn't do it again. I suspect it wasn't specifically a Windows 10 issue.

Most of the tracking stuff in Windows 10 is to do with Cortana which needs to know what you are doing to be of any use. Many of the articles written about Win10 have cherry-picked lines from the EULA and then used them out of context. I'm not suggesting that Win10 isn't looking at stuff but it isn't trawling through files on your hard disk.

Compered to the level of knowledge that G**gle has about people who use their services Microsoft and Apple are almost saints. I don't have anything to hide but I find the level and quantity of data and information that G**gle collects is beyond creepy. Their oooh we didn't realise our cars were collecting so much data as they were driving around is bull. Any software, particularly from a large company would be created, tested and validated by a large number of developers before being released so saying an individual added the code or even a couple of folk is bull. If that did happen then I would be more worried that their isn't sufficiently quality checked before it gets released or used (even if that is for internal use only).

Any of the Internet Providers we use know more about us than Microsoft, G**gle and Apple.

I have an old Dell laptop which is used for, ready, nothing really that I had upgraded to Win10 ages ago. I tried an SSD in it to see how much of a difference that would make and the honest answer is not much. It must be about 12 years old and has 2gb RAM and the processor, well - it is a 32bit...

So I bunged an old HDD back in it just to get it working, created a Win10 USB drive and reinstalled Windows 10. In theory, if you have already installed Win 10 on a PC you can clean install and it will automatically activate again. You don't need a key either, just select the don't have one option when it asks and installation will continue.

So, I did all that and it installed and activated just fine. On a desktop with a few hardware changes it may get a bit humpy but a call to Microsoft should sort things. Just thought I'd let you know in case you have to do the same sometime.

Just in case someone is interested.

Even though the free Windows 10 upgrade period has finished, at this time, you can still upgrade for free using a Win 7, 8, or 8.1 key. That may change at any time though.

Installing (and hopefully by now installed) the Windows 10 Creators edition. Though you can run and install it off the net I have found that creating a USB stick with it on is a better way of doing it. You need a stick with 8gb of free space on it. I tried just doing an update and that failed twice for no obvious reason. Installing from the USB has been fine.

The most interesting thing is game mode where resources are diverted away from non-essential operations. There are some other bits added and usual fixes.

For me the install took about 30minutes.

Windows 10 Creators Update: 7 best new features

Update: you can record games by Win key + G and also set games mode as on once you start playing. It will recognise some games but may be worth setting it as a game. Based on one round I didn't see any packet loss or other network errors and frame rate was about 10fps higher that normal. I did alt-tab to swap screens and background apps like IE did appear to be dormat unit I quit the game.

Install did take about 30 minutes for me and seems to be fine so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: General_Misery
Game mode in Windows 10 Creators update. The link below explains how to set it up and the need for each game to be also activated. I have been using it and there seems to be a modest frame rate increase. Because each game is different it is hard to say exactly how much but I would guess I have been getting about 5fps on top of normal play. Seem to be getting less packet loss too but that is hard to pinpoint where or what is causing that. If you have a high performance PC already the gains may be insignificant but if you have an older machine 5fps could make a difference. For me it is roughly a 6% increase when running on high settings.

Windows 10 Tip: Improve Gaming Performance with Game Mode - Thurrott.com

Users who are viewing this thread