Windows 10

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Just found this out - if you do an upgrade install first then the PC will be automatically activated. At this point, if you then do a clean install you can just skip the "enter software key" and carry on with the install. The PC, once Windows 10 has been installed, it will activate automatically (allegedly) - this may take a few days to do so don't worry.

As usual make sure you do a backup before starting.

Windows 10 does have a roll back feature which will give you 30 days to see if you like it. If you don't you can roll back to the previous version.

I did just that and it worked at least for me.

Now having the enjoyment of reinstalling stuff - but to a clean system :)

I need the PC at the moment so won't clean install just yet but will do in a few weeks. There isn't too much rubbish on it but not sure when the last clean install was done. Only had it for a few days now but it seems to be a good OS. My wife though was of the "WTF what is this..." Kind of view! :D For her the remote control was too big a step...

mhhh. just rolling back my 2 work layptops ( one back to win7 other to 8.1 ) on my toshiba laptop some toshiba software can´t run with win10 and so i would make a clear install. i had done this and really all progs are gone. not only the one who didnt run on win10. no chance that i do this mess to install all my business progs again. lol

on my lenovo yoga laptop a lot of lenovo software can´t run on win10 and also win10 had overwritten them and replaced them with the windows stuff. unbeliveable but true, its also slower running with win10.

now i am trying win10 on my gaming pc and so far it is looking good. no problems and no lost programs actualy. so i will give it a try there.

but honestly, i am a bit shocked about win10. even more i havent any look on it befor. but this is worst as google. each possibility to replace "none microsoft" software and functions have they used and i am really pissed if one of the first apps i can see on my pc is the stupid "xbox app" WTF

also i can´t understand why a system with all the installed business software like outlook, office and so on, win10 will not be installed in that way that this software is just installed as the preferfed progs?!? why i have to deinstall some "get office, kalender or mail apps to get this back into focus?

sorry but this win10 is a bit too much like google android for me. i guess i will run my win7 a bit longer...

My main PC only really had Office, Photoshop/Lightroom (and plug-ins), BF3&4 so had very little to affect.

My back-up PC only run as an iTunes server and holds backups of photos and as a link to the Drobo and that took a while but had no probe.

Only the Win XP laptop will not be upgraded as that is used to play a couple of games that won't run on multi-core processors! Not internet connected so no problems with security.

All the Dell and HP laptops I have had have been full of bloatware and I would describe as viruses because of the amount of adverts and other stuff they do. It was surprising how much internet bandwidth they were using. So much faster too after a good cull of the Dell and HP installed software.

Why would you want the Lenovo/Toshiba bloatware? :)

lol comon, look what win10 is installing for bloatware now. there are nearly a dozent progs like xbox, calender, browser, mail, movie, music and so on i never user from microsoft before but now i have this on my win10 pc??

the toshiba is crap because most of them are useless but the problem is that you can´t delete them without a clear install. even win10 can´t be installed with keep all apps and data. i only use this laptop while i am sitting on my couch and doing some workstuff so i am not willing to make a clear install and reinstall all this stuff i need for work. even more not if win7 is working very fine on this laptop.

lenovo is aother instance. because you can use the lenovo yoga also as a tablet there are a lot of usefull lenovo progs running on it and i will not miss them. but the decisive point to delete win10 was, that the laptop was a lot slower with running win10 as before with 8.1

so what should i have for a advantage with win10? lot of usefull lenovo progs are not working anymore and its slower. lol therefore i have a huge stuff of microsoft stuff now i will never use.

nope, i will not go this way.

even more not because this laptops are my company ones. i will run them 2-3 years and then they will be replaced with new ones. so maybe the next generation will be already equipped with win10 and so i pressume its more tuned to this system and i don´t need to resetup all this stuff.

Sorry, may have assumed that the included manufacturers apps are rubbish never used because I've never used them. My bad.

Have to admit that I didn't even notice the Xbox etc stuff. Most of those were in Win 8 but in the Metro start menu which I never used. The only built in apps I have used are notebook and paint. Not tried to see if it works the same but you used to be able to uninstall stuff though the add features but in Control Panel. Not really explored that much yet. Unlike a phone or tablet, PCs tend to have more available storage so having "bonus" apps is less of an issue. On my iPhone the are a few of the Apple apps I don't need but most of the other built in ones I do use. Have tried third party podcast, calendars etc but have found few that are worthwhile.

The other two apps that I do have are Microsoft Autoroute and Streets and Trips. I know there are many GPS and map apps for Phones and Tablets but all are useless for planning routes for holidays. Both of these are really useful for planning journeys or tours that last longer than a day. So for a US or European road trip you can get a very good estimate of times and distances.

I will get Win10 on my ASUS Transformer TX300. Thats for work out of home and leisure out of home. I currently has 8.1 and i hate it, i hate it, i hate it, i hate this piece of confusing menu buggy ass OS which is like a multitool with an eggbeater and a blowtorch and a dull knife. it is designed for various situations but you can't use it properly in any of them. Now that i have that off my mind ;) here my opinion on Win10: yes and no.

I will leave my perfectly well running desktop computer with Win7. Never change a running system, I dont care if I have to pay for future versions. I dont take this bait.

As for my Transformer Book - no hesitation. Win8.1 is already full of "oh you dont have a microsoft account? well then your laptop is no more than a paperweight." and updates you dont want, so what could go wrong? I still wait a little for stable builds though :)

May be worth trying 10 (after doing a backup) as you can roll back within 30 days. This would mean that if you change your mind then you would still have a valid copy of 10 should you change your mind again. :D

Win 10 is available free (for the first year - July 2016) for any individual with 7 and 8 and will be supported without cost until 10 goes end of life. You also do not need a Microsoft account or login for 10.

omg. informed by some german pc platforms i had a look into the privacy of win10.

press setup -> privacy ( in german "einstellungen -> datenschutz ) and i have to say its nearyl worst like google and android. i swapped all approvals for the asked installs / progs during the win10 install to off but just saw that this was only the top of the iceberg. lol there are dozents more progs that can use your data and all setuped to "on" after the install.

lmao high five with the NSA lmao

seriously the best joke is that win10 deinstalled my kaspersky internet security to activate there crappy windows defender.

Couple of things

A lot of the privacy "issues" with Win10 have been out of context. If you have files in the cloud on OneDrive then yes they "may" look at them and may have to give access to government bodies but that is the same for all these types of services. If you are worried about that then encrypt everything BEFORE you put it into in cloud storage. Win10/Microsoft doesn't go through any physical drive on your PC. Many of the articles were clipping small segments of the EULA and suggesting it was for anything Win10 related.

Once you have upgraded a PC to Win10 using the free offer then you don't have to reactivate it again. The only exception is if you swap out hardware and that trips the number of "permitted" changes. An SSD or an HDD replacement is fine but if you had motherboard and CPU changed then you would have to get it activated again. That would be the same for 7 and 8.

There are a few web sites that don't like the Edge browser but you still have IE on there or any other browser you want.

Ok so initial thoughts on Win 10 is not bad at all obviously a different UI but ill get you to it soon seems more refined than 7 but cannot speak for any 8 or 8.1 onwards, everything installed just fine and no hitches at all seems snappy getting 480mbs (Mega bytes second) read write from new SSD
Installed

BF4 63Gb
Lightroom 1.5Gb
Lightroom catalog 63Gb :p
Origin
All Nvidia drivers
Security installed
Win 10 updates the lot
New motherboard + SSD and all cpu memory etc graphics card the lot in 2.5 hours :D

After two weeks with it I'm happy with it. There is one issue that I have had a couple of times which is where it appears to go into a sleep mode and won't wake up. I think it is where I do something, possibly a key combination, screen goes blank and says no signal. Changed settings so it shouldn't stop the signal to the screen but it has done it again. PC is still active as there is disk activity but doesn't respond to mouse or keyboard.

After two weeks with it I'm happy with it. There is one issue that I have had a couple of times which is where it appears to go into a sleep mode and won't wake up. I think it is where I do something, possibly a key combination, screen goes blank and says no signal. Changed settings so it shouldn't stop the signal to the screen but it has done it again. PC is still active as there is disk activity but doesn't respond to mouse or keyboard.

i have/had the same. its some energysaver setting. can´t remember the exact way but you can setup the time your monitor is going to "off power" in idling. basicly it was setuped to 30 minutes or something and i set it to "off" or "never" so i silved that problem.

annoying is my problem that i have with outlook / office. no more preview funktion in outlook with exel data. also can open attached exelfiles with a simple click anymore. have always save them on my pc and with righclick settings the "security rights" and tick "yes, open this fucking data because its coming from a nother pc and this can be attack your own pc" what is pretty annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread