When aliens are discovered, God will die a horrible death.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Several leading astronomers believe that the first aliens we encounter will likely be robotic in nature.

The idea is based on the notion that any sufficiently advanced alien civilization is going to be capable of augmenting itself using technology to tackle its biological limitations. "I think it very likely – in fact inevitable – that biological intelligence is only a transitory phenomenon, a fleeting phase in the evolution of the universe," said cosmologist and astrobiologist Paul Davies. "If we ever encounter extraterrestrial intelligence, I believe it is overwhelmingly likely to be post-biological in nature."

The odds are that if we do encounter an alien civilization that our initial experiences with be with something more akin to an artificial intelligence than an actual biological entity. "If we build a machine with the intellectual capability of one human, then within 5 years, its successor is more intelligent than all humanity combined," said SETI chief Seth Shostak. "Once any society invents the technology that could put them in touch with the cosmos, they are at most only a few hundred years away from changing their own paradigm of sentience to artificial intelligence."

"ET machines would be infinitely more intelligent and durable than the biological intelligence that created them."

Interesting theory!!

Just for the record, I was asked not to come back to "Sunday school" when I was 12 for asking too many awkward questions!

That's funny :D So what are your thoughts about Aliens? I don't believe in any if those aliens are here already stories but I'm pretty damn sure they are outthere somewhere. It's just the rule of statistics, the chance of life elsewhere is practically 100%.

The earth appears to be in the Goldielocks zone that has enabled life to develop and exist in all it's forms. We are still discovering life forms that life in really inhospitable places and conditions here on earth. That could be an indication that other planets that are not class M could have life (but not as we know it Jim). Unless aliens are able to travel the long distances involved I think Earth and any inhabitants will remain "alone" for some time. If long distance travel becomes viable in the future I guess we may find out then.

Yeah like those weird 'worms' that were discovered a few years ago at 5000 meters below sea level attached to the edges of deepsea volcano's . Appearantly they don't need sunlight or oxygen, but live on sulfur :| This discovery made a truckload of 'neccesities for life thoeries' go overboard. Now anything seems possible, even lifeforms that don't need ogygen!

+1 for the God squad here ... i really do beleive 100%

This is a risky forum thread I feel

samz were all a part of the NRU family no matter what we believe in i sincerily believe everyone here can accept people having different religious views :)

Just for the record, I was asked not to come back to "Sunday school" when I was 12 for asking too many awkward questions!

That's funny :D So what are your thoughts about Aliens? I don't believe in any if those aliens are here already stories but I'm pretty damn sure they are outthere somewhere. It's just the rule of statistics, the chance of life elsewhere is practically 100%.

i agree completly mr nimms :p besides the multitude of galaxies thats already been discovered theyve just a few months ago found out the Universe is even bigger than they thought a year ago XD

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/07/120809-universe-3d-map-space-science-dark-energy/

The earth appears to be in the Goldielocks zone that has enabled life to develop and exist in all it's forms. We are still discovering life forms that life in really inhospitable places and conditions here on earth. That could be an indication that other planets that are not class M could have life (but not as we know it Jim). Unless aliens are able to travel the long distances involved I think Earth and any inhabitants will remain "alone" for some time. If long distance travel becomes viable in the future I guess we may find out then.

speaking of goldielock zones, isnt the latest estimate that around 2600 planets in our galaxy alone are calculated as being in the goldielocks zone ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldilocks_zone

I take it the goldilocks zone is just for carbon based life? And doesn't take into account hypothetical types of biochemistry e.g. silicon based life

I take it the goldilocks zone is just for carbon based life? And doesn't take into account hypothetical types of biochemistry e.g. silicon based life

Yeah if I remember correctly the 'goldilocks' environment has to be very similar to earth. Carbon life, liquid water, oxygen levels, temperatures, etc.

in any case if the foreigner exist ,is time to really see a default of a vague suspicion ( zone 51 ),or other ...........

Users who are viewing this thread