Week in North Wales

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
no need to drive to wales to buy beer for me. :D

so of our new welps parents come to visit there little cutie. nice they come from bavaria ( augsburg ) and brough us some beer. ok, also some white sausage, ham , pretzels and some sweet mustard :D

2015 06 13 190110

White sausage..... Mmmmmmm. Had that for breakfast with beer when in Munich for work a while back. I assume you got a case of each beer? :D

so we had a bavarian dinner yesterday. was very nice and we where totaly surprised as they said "oh, we brought you something". :D so no needed a case esch of them. :)

think it must be some kind if reflex to feed me and my wife bcause we are looking such underfed. lol

Been looking through the photos from last week to try and reduce the 1,200 images to something a bit more manageable before being ruthless and editing the good ones. I use Lightroom on the PC to create a collection which then is viewable on my iPad. That means I can sort through them quickly and rate and flag them. When on the PC Imcan then use Lightroom to do basic straightening of horizons, exposure, lens calibration etc. I can the use Photoshop to do other tweaks like removing unsightly tourists ( :D )and add other effects where necessary.

Video is harder! I have over 18 hours of HD video from GoPro, DSLRs, Sony Video camera and iPhone and Windows phone. For video I use Final Cut Pro as this can handle all the different file types generated from all the different cameras. Trouble is the Mac Mini is really struggling to handle about 60GB of video files. So have started to do a rough run through and after doing three days of it is currently 45 minutes long! The Mac is and I7 with 16GB RAM and 2x1TB in a RAID 0 configure. Thinking about getting an SSD (about 450GB) for the OS and temp video files and a 2TB HDD which would cost about £120 for both. I know I could use the Windows PC but that would mean using Adobe Premier which I really don't like as a lot of the free or cheap editing apps don't handle the different video files. iMovie won't handle different files either.

Once I have done the photos I give a link for them. Luckily it looks like the video will be too long for YouTube unless I do it in episodes so you won't have to watch that!

Looks really nice Glen...seems Wales is a nice spot to visit. Pity that the Mach Loop was empty that day....it Looks fantastic ....we have switched it on on our home Cinema, a Screen which is something like 1,40m or so with nice Sound bar.....that is just stunning then :)

Mr. Bond, probably depends on what you like doing for this part of Wales. There are loads of castles in various states of ruin. Some are pretty intact and others less so. Some are very basic like the one in the first photo and others are more like what you would expect. We were lucky to get a cottage that wasn't far from most things we wanted to see and do and as we booked it a bit last minute the price wasn't too bad - we got it for just over £400 for the week and it could have slept 6 people.

For the castles you can get a three or seven day pass which if you are planning on seeing a lot can save money. The three day pass can be used for three days in a week and the seven gives you seven days in two weeks. We did the seven and still saved on paying admission.

We also did a steam train ride which was a two hour journey each way. As Isobel doesn't drive it was nice to get a chance to just watch the scenery go by. That cost £110 because we upgraded to first class but was worth it.

There are other things to do if you are more able than we are or have kids.

Though we didn't see any planes at the Mach Loop, the scenery is stunning in that area.

We didn't have any trouble filling our time at a reasonable pace and not having to drive too much or too far.

One final thing. At all the places went to see or do the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. I know that is their job but so many places you go you feel that you are ruining their day by turning up! We saw many of the staff going beyond what you would expect to help. At one castle, you have a steepish walk about 400m from the car park to the castle. My left knee has got worse over the last couple of months so any walking can be painful. I don't have a disabled parking badge so it was a case of having to make the walk. A staff member noticed and said we could drive up to a parking area near the castle. There was still a bit of a walk but it was flat. How kind was that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 7
Finally finished editing the thousand or so photos and got rid a lot of the chaff. I had originally uploaded them into one set but Flickr insisted on adding the photos from the eclipse time lapse too. So rather than wade through one big album there are a few(ish) smaller ones. Yes there are quite a few castles but it is interesting that though they were built about the same time (1300s by the same kings) they are similar yet different.

I also edited 16+ hours of video down to 46 minutes but fortunately for you YouTube doesn't like the length or size of it . 22gb isn't that big and it isn't 4K!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glenwilson/albums

(Update - tried doing links to each album but that went really well! So just a general link above)

Last edited:
flickr is being really stupid! I've removed all the individual links and here is one to the albums (should be most of the recent 18!).

And a special bonus a drive through Snowdonia - https://youtu.be/xcnvL8nE400 No sound and nothing particularly special apart from some nice scenery.

Does youtube have a 15 minute limit? This was originally 15.08 long and it wouldn't upload until it was 14.59 long!?

flickr is being really stupid! I've removed all the individual links and here is one to the albums (should be most of the recent 18!).

And a special bonus a drive through Snowdonia - https://youtu.be/xcnvL8nE400 No sound and nothing particularly special apart from some nice scenery.

Does youtube have a 15 minute limit? This was originally 15.08 long and it wouldn't upload until it was 14.59 long!?

yes, you have to "unlock" the over 15 minutes limit in your youtube account. somewhere in the settings you can tick "over 15 minutes videouploads".

Thanks for that! Went and checked and it was checked as able to upload longer videos! Maybe it just changed as it always mumped about size before. Need to re-edit the video now to remove any Copyrighted music and then you all will be subjected to 46 minutes of home movie. I try and remove all the crap bits and the hideous image of myself in there! :D

lol really a lot of old castles you saw there. my legs are in pain just for imgine all the walking thrue lol but also some amazing pics and fantastic views and spots there. even sandra told me we need a motorhome sometime to see all this. :)

Thanks! Sometimes you just take "holiday snaps" and other times you try and take decent photos. Amazing area and we will be back there soon. Isobel always takes a teddy bear (or three) on her travel which explains that! It isn't unusual as I've seen folk take plastic cows and others Lego figures on their travels. Video is processing....

Oh, my phone, iPad and PC has been going mental with flickr favs! :D

Sorry, Glen, I would have liked to watch your video but it isn’t available in Germany because it is blocked by GEMA (a performance rights organization).

OK. Here is the link to the video again. They are suggesting that the countryside audio matches three songs! The sounds included are from the BBC sound effects collection (purchased) and are nothing like the three listed below. So I have disputed them with YouTube as they are just plain wrong. Really annoys me as they are trying to get money for nothing. No stretch of the imagination do they match. So at this time the video cannot be viewed in Germany (sorry). I'm uploading it to OneDrive and will share it through that once it is up.

Moon Illuminates the Sky - David Hoffman (Sound recording)
Inside My Mind (Blue Skies) - Groove Armada
Rosa - David Hoffman (Sound recording)

https://youtu.be/en7UlWWOe3I

just watched the video. very nice. love the scene out of the train to see all the landscape. ohh but most amazing is all the birds and even more the bird noises. nearly in every castle you got pigeons, seagulls and crows. can imagine how mutch they shit onto the castle all the years lol

Oh... I am at a loss for words... thank you very, very, very much, Glen!
That was most kind of you.

The video is a delight to watch – awesome scenery, enchanting castles, great views everywhere.
We have been to South Wales once and after watching your video I dare say that North Wales could be next on the agenda for a trip. :)

Users who are viewing this thread