USB wall socket

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
As most people who have phones and tablets and so on they usually need a USB charger of some sort and that means using a wall wart or some other sort of USB charger. I have been using one of these (Anker® 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Wall Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2, Mini 3, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, HTC One (M8), Google Nexus 4 5 6 7 9 10, External Battery, PS Vita, Go) for a while now as you only need one socket and can charge 5 devices at once. It is also great for travel as nearly everything I have apart from my DSLRs charge from USB an you can charge five things at a go. I have used for for my iPad, iPhone, wife's iPad Mini, wife's phone and a camera (video or GoPro). It is great for hotels where plugs are not always in convenient places and you just need an appropriate lead for the country that you are in.

After looking for one of these for a while I actually found one. Found what I hear you ask. A wall power socket with two USB charger ports. It was easy to install and save having sockets taken up for charging devices. Works really well and saves a bit of space (Apple charges stick out quite a bit). Cost about £22 in Wickes (in the UK). Probably will get one for the kitchen too.

Attachments

• IMG_4623.jpg
    IMG_4623.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 26
Re : USB wall socket

Great ! So the 220/12V converter is included !?
£22 ~ 28€ for all this socket in UK ! 38€ ~ £30 in France for only 2 USB ports !!!

Re: Re : USB wall socket

Converter is great. You can use it through a hub to charge more items if you need to. It is 2.1amps so two iPads at once!

Re: Re : USB wall socket

Converter is great. You can use it through a hub to charge more items if you need to. It is 2.1amps so two iPads at once!

does it have a sleep function so the transformator isnt powered when you dont load a device???

cause i always unplug my chargers when i dont use it :D im very fussy about standby electricity :D to be honest i checked the watts of all our stuff at home :D and our microwave needs 50w in standby thats more than some light bulbs !

Have to admit I don't know. I have a remote power switch for the hifi/tv etc that switches everything off except the Sky box. All bulbs are low energy except some spot lights which I am gradually changing to LEDs. Electricity is proving more difficult to reduce despite our efforts. Dinner is often cold because the wife stops pedalling which powers the cooker... :)

Heating cost have dropped by 50% since replacing windows, boiler and adding more loft insulation.

@Steffos: For mainland europe there are solutions from Berker and Busch-Jaeger, but these sockets are to be used in frames (for built-IN systems). Busch Jaeger claims 0.1w/h (€ 0.20 / year) for stand by. However these products ship starting from €55,- (Conrad Netherlands). Maybe in Teutonia :)p) they are a little cheaper, dunno. I checked, they are @ conrad.de starting from €49,-.

But I expect in future this will be more and more standard (and probably even network-supporting -> charge phone in kitchen and receive pictures while in the attic).

Microwave is not good for your Wifi, so don't use it :)

Couldn't find anything suggesting it switches off when not in use. I'll monitor usage and see if there is any difference. Has a 20 year guarantee which is better than I have had with light switches for the loo recently. Light switch failed after about 25 years which to me is quite good. Since then I've had to replace it four (possibly five) times. The record was 9 days before failure - didn't see any point getting a replacement if they last that long! Hopefully the new one will last a bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread