Upgrade or buy new?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2634
  • Start date
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Deleted member 2634

Deleted member 2634

Huehuehue
8 Apr 2018
Hey guys, I want you to help me decide if I should update my laptop or I should just buy a new one.

here's the specs:
Intel Core i5+ 8300H Coffee Lake,
15.6" LED 1920x1080 IPS
RAM 8GB DDR4 + 16GB Intel Optane
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5
HDD 1TB 7200 otáček
WiFi 802.11ac
Bluetooth 5.0, HD webkamera, HDMI, USB 3.1 Gen 1, 48Wh, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

What I think about is getting atleast 32GB RAM and perhaps switching to SSD.

The other option is... just giving this one up. And perhaps buying a new one.
I'd go for a machine with RTX graphics, atleast 2070, 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD drive.

please help :)

Hey guys, I want you to help me decide if I should update my laptop or I should just buy a new one.

here's the specs:
15.6" LED 1920x1080 IPS
HDD 1TB 7200 otáček
WiFi 802.11ac

I'd go for a machine with RTX graphics, atleast 2070, 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD drive.

Switching from a HDD to a SSD is probably the biggest performance increase I ever noticed and I never want to go back. Only using my HDD for backups and large video files (Lakas tapes really eat a lot of space). That by itself should make the Laptop feel a lot faster. I can guarantee that.

If you are not in dire need of a new Laptop then I would probably wait for another year. Hardware market is currently fubar and everything is insanely overpriced, especially for GPUs.

I'm not in a dire need, just when I think about the fact that the upgrade would cost about a third of the price of the new machine... uh... just pondering the 'return' of the investment...

well the ssd would always be a good options to extend the lifetime a bit till the prices come down again for a bit. But honestly not bad for a notebook at all, how about a bigger external screen?

the screen size is not really an issue to me... kinda used to playing on 15-ish displays...

Upgrading your memory won't give you any extra performance so I definitely won't do that if I were you. Your laptop seems fine and I suggest buying a SSD because it's one of the best upgrades you can ever do. But also won't yield you any extra performance. But if you decide to ever buy a pc you can chug it in there. And a M,2 are not that expensive

Just wait for the new BF and see how your laptop does in it.

But for laptop you don't really have a way to upgrade proformamce

seeing it will replace a HDD I think it will become a 2.5inch SATA SSD (not m.2 ;) ) but you could later if you ever upgrade give that another purpose.

seeing it will replace a HDD I think it will become a 2.5inch SATA SSD (not m.2 ;) ) but you could later if you ever upgrade give that another purpose.
ohh yeh ofcourse, that would be even better becasue an SATA SSD can be put into and external enclosure and use it as an external SSD when you buy a new laptop, because it will probably dont have extra room for a SSD

That Laptop looks totally fine for me. Never would giving this up in the next month.
Have you had a look inside what RAM you have there? 1x8gb or 2x4gb? Maybe you have one slot free, than thinking about to buy a nother 8gb but really needed is that not.
Upgrade to ssd is always a Option and the ssd prices are normal and reliable, compared with the Performance Upgrade you will get with them.

But because of the insane prices for gfc i would never buy anything New atm.

Worth an SSD upgrade as even my decade old Dell boots really quick (it goes down hill from there :) ). Even the £20/€20 I bunged in was worth it. If you have a second HDD slot free use that or if you have a DVD drive that could be converted to house the HDD.

Ssd for shure. And check ram , dual channel works faster than one stick.
You can save your ssd and put back hdd if you sell it some time

here's the specs:
15.6" LED 1920x1080 IPS
HDD 1TB 7200 otáček
WiFi 802.11ac

Buying/building a PC at the moment is gonna be really expensive because of chip shortages. I'd say look if you can upgrade the laptop with a 250gb M.2 SSD so you can also keep the HDD for mass storage. Upgrading the ram shouldn't be that expensive, Here I can get a 8gb stick of SODIMM for about 40 bucks. You'd probably be done for about €100 total.

The question is can your laptop take those upgrades, if you need any help determining that put the brand and modelnumber in this thread and I'll be happy to help :D

The question is can your laptop take those upgrades, if you need any help determining that put the brand and modelnumber in this thread and I'll be happy to help :D
That'd be cool :)
it's ASUS TUF Gaming FX504GD-E4838T

i took the liberty also to track down you notebook (sorry daba) and a couple of things I noticed:
  • You maybe might be able to run a m.2 SSD AND you HDD together (SSD then for windows and important software like bf4 and HDD for mass storage), but then you would loose the intel optane for the HDD
  • Looks almost lik there is only 1 stick of memory (8gb @ 2666Mhz)

Some video footage I found for tearing down the Asus FX504 series notebook:

Thank u guys, much apreciated :)

One question though... is there any comparison to how much of an advantage the optane is to an SSD?

Will I have to give up the optane completely? :(

No problem at all, happy to help :)

Optane is basicly used by your HDD for files that are used often and therefore increasing the accestime. Adding optane to a SSD (especially a NVME one) gives little to no performance increase.
Seeing the layout of your notebook, there is only 1 M.2 slot which now is used by the optane module + a 2.5inch bay.

Note: on optane itself you cannot store anything, it is no real storage device in this case.

Reactions: ItsDABAUZZ
But I still don't recommend upgrading your RAM unless you play games that really 8+ gigs because intel 8gen don't really see extreme boost in proformamce.

Users who are viewing this thread