Trying Bf1 Again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
As BF4 was quiet over the last few weeks in the afternoon I thought I would give BF1 a try again. As usual the matchmaking worked great - dumped onto an empty server that stayed empty. Doing a manual select showed that there were loads of servers that had one player on. Admittedly these may not all be someone like me who was dumped on there but it was a bit strange.

Not many servers were full and loads were empty so maybe the weather and holiday season is in play.

I had a play on war stories which I still find quite a good introduction to the game and gets you used to the environment again. Then I played conquest and a few other modes. Overall it was a much better experience than previous times I have played. Didn’t feel as though I had joined a server where it was hackers against one non-hacker.

The new maps seem nice to play too and would be good to have in BF4 or 5 if they were ‘modernised’ to the correct era.

Chat though still seems to be a bit rogue though with plenty of racial abuse which doesn’t enthuse me for BF5.

Reactions: Riot_co
Exactly what I did yesterday and my experience too Glen (y). Still a bit frustrated about pilot aces having a kdr of > 20 and the abundant racial slurs...

Not sure if it's still the case but last time I played I custom searched for 'admin' servers. There were 3-4 On there and most had players in. I had to queue for a while but there was less abuse in there. (y)

Reactions: glenwilson
As it seems to be quiet on many servers I have again been dipping into BF1. I get skill and different weapons but still feel that I get killed when there is no line of site (allowing for bullet drop - is there any in BF1?). Also, you get sniped from across the map and you have 2% health and then they finish you off with a pistol shot from the same position.

There are some maps that I would love to play in BF4. OK I would love to have a SUAV in BF1 then we would see what would happen.

So having played maybe about 20 in BF1 this week and getting a bit better at it, I still don’t come away from it thinking that was fun. Getting the chance to play in a tank or aircraft are hard to get if ever. It isn’t about winning, getting a good score, or arsing around. In BF4 I can play serious, play bad, and not win but still have a lot of fun. BF1 (and BF5 in the alpha) just feel a bit soulless.

I’ve played some BF3 lately and above all, the maps are great. Some issues with soldier movement vs BF4 but otherwise fun. There is something with BF1 I can’t put my finger on that makes it less fun (apart from the many sniper and pilot kills). BFV may be the same thing?

Oh, and P Söderlund’s of EA/Dice remark about players being ”uneducated”... I have no objections to female soldiers but the way that woman in the first trailer looked was just silly. Come to think of it, the male soldiers with various skins/outfits looked silly too. WW2 my arse :mooning:

one good point in bf5 will be, that pilots not having unlimited ammo anymore. they will have to fly into special areas for reammo like in bf2. so this will be a lot better

And no helicopters. If they get helicopters I want a SUAV!!!!

I’ve played some BF3 lately and above all, the maps are great. Some issues with soldier movement vs BF4 but otherwise fun. There is something with BF1 I can’t put my finger on that makes it less fun (apart from the many sniper and pilot kills). BFV may be the same thing?

Oh, and P Söderlund’s of EA/Dice remark about players being ”uneducated”... I have no objections to female soldiers but the way that woman in the first trailer looked was just silly. Come to think of it, the male soldiers with various skins/outfits looked silly too. WW2 my arse :mooning:

Reflecting on the brief spell with the BF5 Alpha, it is very much like It was with BF1. A new map seems to be fun to play but after a short while they get boring. In BF4, even just playing the initial maps on rotation I still enjoy need to be wider, too many are quite narrow and that makes each round too similar. The behemoth thing is a bit silly too.

If they really wanted characters to be inclusive then giving you the chance to select gender and some racial identifying features would be better than having a token woman or person of colour. Even in WW2 times there were few African American soldiers on the front line as they were stereotyped into more menial roles because of the social situation in the US at the time. Segregation in the US armed forces was still in place until 1948. During WW2, African American military were welcomed in Britain as equals with their white counterparts. However, the African Americans were subjected to racial abuse by their own nationals and there were calls by the US for the British to designate places such as pubs as black/white only but it was refused/ignored.

Sorry, went a bit off line there! :)

I think, as I mentioned before, BF1/5 are console oriented rather than being primary PC and ported to consoles as BF3/4 were. That is probably causing the issue.
--- Post updated ---
one good point in bf5 will be, that pilots not having unlimited ammo anymore. they will have to fly into special areas for reammo like in bf2. so this will be a lot better

And no helicopters. If they get helicopters I want a SUAV!!!!

Reflecting on the brief spell with the BF5 Alpha, it is very much like It was with BF1. A new map seems to be fun to play but after a short while they get boring. In BF4, even just playing the initial maps on rotation I still enjoy need to be wider, too many are quite narrow and that makes each round too similar. The behemoth thing is a bit silly too.

If they really wanted characters to be inclusive then giving you the chance to select gender and some racial identifying features would be better than having a token woman or person of colour. Even in WW2 times there were few African American soldiers on the front line as they were stereotyped into more menial roles because of the social situation in the US at the time. Segregation in the US armed forces was still in place until 1948. During WW2, African American military were welcomed in Britain as equals with their white counterparts. However, the African Americans were subjected to racial abuse by their own nationals and there were calls by the US for the British to designate places such as pubs as black/white only but it was refused/ignored.

Sorry, went a bit off line there! :)

I think, as I mentioned before, BF1/5 are console oriented rather than being primary PC and ported to consoles as BF3/4 were. That is probably causing the issue.

Here Glen here is your suav
_64249796_doodlebug.jpg

That is true. I didn’t realise you could guide them.

As an aside, My mum lived about 500m from whe one the first ones hit London during the war. She was about 14 at the time.

That is true. I didn’t realise you could guide them.

As an aside, My mum lived about 500m from whe one the first ones hit London during the war. She was about 14 at the time.

It only was an autopilot - they planned radio guidance but it was too unreliable at that time

It only was an autopilot - they planned radio guidance but it was too unreliable at that time

Sorry, I meant in game. Did have a read about the V1 and V2 and it shows how advanced both these weapons were. Guidance was obviously primative compared to today but more than just a release an hope it gets there. The V2 was obviously developed into ICBMs and space launch vehicles.

Surprises me the technology that was advanced because of the war. Computational computing is an obvious one for decrypting enigma nessages. Britain had the Meteor jet (Gloster Meteor - Wikipedia) to try and shoot down the V1 though it wasn’t as successful as the Mosquito and other aircraft.

When you look back at how advanced the SR71 was compared with other aircraft around that time. Yet a car is still very similar in basic design (ignoring speeds and safety) to the the very early layoiuts.

Even things like mobile phones went from dumb flip phones with WAP and Blackberries to smart phones, when Apple released theirs it didn’t take long for others to catch up (year or two?) and most phones are similar in layout. Yes screens and processing has got larger and faster but most now are the same aprt from some features.

With the BF 2042 disaster but a new and faster pc I’ve (of course) not bought the game but revisit BF1 and BF5 quite frequently. As I now obviously can run both these games on higher settings and with higher fps the experience is so much better both re graphics and sound. With some luck I end up on a server with squads functioning ok and a friendly atmosphere.

BUT, roughly 50% of the time I (and many others) leave the server due to very clear cheating e.g. seeing a soldier with no body, just a gun, running around aimbotting away and a KDR of say 92-0. I don’t know what, if anything, EA/DICE is doing about this major problem which is a pity as both games are fun - despite my initial doubt. BF1 is currently the best of the later BF editions IMHO, gritty and fun.

BUT, roughly 50% of the time I (and many others) leave the server due to very clear cheating e.g. seeing a soldier with no body, just a gun, running around aimbotting away and a KDR of say 92-0. I don’t know what, if anything, EA/DICE is doing about this major problem which is a pity as both games are fun - despite my initial doubt. BF1 is currently the best of the later BF editions IMHO, gritty and fun.
Modern and I recently played BF5 again too and had no issues of hackers. More the usual unbalancing thing, then people leave and it's 32 in winning team against 22 in loosing team. At least when one team has all 5 flags the game is lost in only a few minutes.

Did try BF1 for a bit yesterday. Not knowing some of the maps doesn't help but couldn't not feel that some of the kills were just a bit iffy. On BF1 and BFV there are some nice maps. Don't think the Leviathan stuff helps nor does the tornado in 2042 - just feels like a gimmick for the adverts.

I still enjoy BF4 but when I was having trouble getting into it I tried BF3 a few times and that was quite fun too.

Never hated BF1 and guess it may have been due to only playing with the modern BF3/4 weapons it felt different. It is a shame that maps get forgotten when some are really good. Will need to have a proper play of it again.

Maybe they should have done a compendium game with all maps and all BFs optimised for existing players and updated graphics for older maps. Could just come on a hard disk you plg in as that would be quite a download! I know you can sort of do that in 2042 but still seems a waste of some good maps.

Users who are viewing this thread