Todays View

glenwilson

NRU Heed
nice pic of rosslyn chapel :D
Recognise or searched? Now I have the grail I will be invincible! :)

Small pot of jam (150gm) was £4 - no wonder they weren't selling it. Gift shops here seem to always add a 100% sucker tax. Thought museums in Germany and France had reasonable prices in the gift shops.

glenwilson

NRU Heed
True, there aren’t many places where you can get the whole church in picture and I had to resort to a pano. It is a nice church though and it gets loads of visitors. You can’t take photos inside though. Inside does look like someone had a chisel and felt every stone had to have something done to it. A bit like when word processors appeared, every font, colour and other option was used. There are loads of interesting bits though and that explains the stories about it.

1ED0964A-17A9-4522-9644-45829BFDCAB4.jpegCA2E482D-D663-4D99-834B-8AA39C7D6932.jpeg

Reactions: lakaelo

lakaelo

NRU Heed
Website
www.mayfieldgarden.de
my investigatoin senses are always working with that postings lol so my background checks are done with that application lol

should be "Doune Castle" when i compare the color of the stones around the windows and the clear cut corners with a equal style.
there were different movieproduction, starting with monthy python over outlander to game of thrones.

this must be the same spot from a different direction

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Bravo! And another series that is very popular? I think it is shite (the other series) but people seem to like it and the gift shop is full of branded crap.a

lakaelo

NRU Heed
Website
www.mayfieldgarden.de
Google expert Lakaelo :)
sure. had not time today to drive there and compare the castles lol
Bravo! And another series that is very popular? I think it is shite (the other series) but people seem to like it and the gift shop is full of branded crap.a
nother one? no clue. lol must be some local non EU crap lol

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Outlander was the other one. They even have a dress like Outlander bit where adults were dressing up - really what sort of crap is that.

Shop suggested that they sold coconut shells but didn’t have any.

Also went to Deanston Distillery where there were quite a few Germans with cases of whisky (pre Brexit stockpiling?) Asked if they knew laka but they just looked terrified and ran off.

glenwilson

NRU Heed
Main view today was painting the kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. Still needs another coat of paint.

Also made a guide for the circular saw as I have a few things I want to make. Sheet of MDF and an old shelf support. Screw the shelf support to the board and trim the length. Then run the saw along the edge cutting through the board. This straight edge can then be used as the guide for cutting. Clamp the guide to the board being cut using the edge as a guide then run the saw along against the metal guide and a nice straight cut. Cost about £4 to make and 15 minutes. To buy would be about £40+. I still have another shelf rail I can use if I need to make a longer guide.

8E6E9A7A-FD24-439A-A0A4-52BB009A7A26.jpeg

Reactions: edgarsmelderis12

glenwilson

NRU Heed
YouTube is your DIY friend. There are so many people that share techniques and tips that we are lucky and usually someone has already done what you want to do or very near it. If it is something new to you then it is a case of going slowly and understanding things and checking. It is worth looking at things on painting videos as that can save time and get better results.

A good examples are:

Loads of info on tools and how to use them and woodwork techniques from someone who makes furniture using MDF and plywood.

Good for DIY projects around the house - some simple and some more complex.

I have always done woodwork and made things so have had the tools (non power) for that as they tend to last a long time. A lot of the stuff that the likes of Lidl and Aldi sell are ideal for a new DIYer as they are cheap but generally adequate for home use. Even power tools from them are not bad.

To smarten up the kitchen has cost about £120/120€ for paint, sandpaper, hinges, MDF board, oil for the floor. What we have done is sand and oil the floor, replace and paint all the cabinet baseboards, prime and paint all the cabinet doors and drawers, and sand down and oil all the existing door/drawer integrated handles. We are pleased with the result.

One final suggestion is:

All sorts of restorations done. Many are similar but is shows what can be done without many tools though the later ones do have things like sand blasters but they just get the same results but quicker.

Reactions: General_Misery

glenwilson

NRU Heed
So today was the final step in redoing the kitchen. With the doors/drawers all painted it back outside with the sander. The remaining cabinet doors were taken off and the wooden handles sanded back to remove the old varnish. The drawers were also removed and sanded and the runners were cleaned and greased before refitting them. Just need to do a couple of coats of oul on the handles and that will be the kitchen signed off.

One drawer does need replacing as it is in almost constant use but that can wait for now.

9F58C75C-67C9-4A50-AAF3-C5009158C2AE.jpeg