Todays View

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Exactly what laka said. When there is one thing I am not really good in, it's definetly working patiently with smallest pieces of anything. Your work with all these models is really impressive Glen!

Thank you. I still need a lot of practice. There are loads of YT videos on how to do it but actually doing it is another thing. You are supposed to gradually build up the colours with thin layers to give the subtle effects. Did have to buy small, very fine brushes that also make a difference too.

Today’s view is Bannockburn from Stirling castle. It was a little bit wet.

A26B8014 B4A3 4428 9BF1 8DB21549829D

You can buy pigments at about £9 for a bottle but the local craft place does a set of pastel blocks for £3 (set of 20 colours) that you can scrape off to get a dust and make your own. Then just mix with a little paint to get the textured look. Also did that on the exhausts but think that should have been a bit more of a grey colour rather that rust.

And the view this morning. I should really go out and take proper photos but it is too cold and comfy in bed. 😁

F22FB396 D24E 4C79 A16B 8BAF9005E06B

I had a period of depression years ago that was triggered by several factors. Since then always been aware of what the triggers were and act accordingly. Yesterday, I felt tired and just generally down for no real reason. One bit of advice I got in the past was that there will be days where you just feel like crap mentally for no apparent reason and that everyone gets them. Today feel normal (ok, that is relative 😁) despite nothing really changing. Just be aware that mental health is as important as physical health, don’t ignore continuous symptoms but don’t worry about odd days.

Today will be exciting as yet another light will be replaced! Our front door is in a slight recess and has had a light fixture that was there from when the house was built. It is functional but not particularly nice looking. It has had an LED bulb in it for ages. Today it gets replaced by a slimline LED fixture. Hopefully without electrocuting myself.

The other day also replaced the security light in the garden as the old one had seen better days and the halogen bulb had gone. The new LED one should last a long time plus uses a lot less power but produces a decent amount of light for 20w. The halogen lamp was 500w. The trouble is despite having an IR sensor it never goes off. Tried all the settings etc but turns out it is faulty. New light comes on Friday.

We also have a light that illuminates the driveway that is also motion triggered. That has also started playing up. It detects motion and switches on. When it switches off it goes into a flashing fit for about 10 seconds. I guess it is trying to induce an epileptic fit in the visitor. Looks like another light being replaced. Will see if there is anything repairable first.

Breakfast: Bratwurst (skin on) on toast.

Attachments

• CB1749D6-D3C0-4D9A-ACE2-3F4216A5E3F8.jpeg
    CB1749D6-D3C0-4D9A-ACE2-3F4216A5E3F8.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have been building a model of a Twin Otter over the last week. It is a simple kit but an absolute bitch. It comes with the option to have wheel, skis, or floats. At the suggestion of the Mrs I went with the floats. Wow, it has become a real challenge as the supports for the floats are not strong enough to support the fuselage. Glued everything together and one bit snapped. Repaired that and another bit. Then the whole thing leaned like a drunk against a lamppost. Had to resort to using copper and plastic tubing which isn’t to scale but does work. Good practice though!

The kit below is tiny (about 10cm long) and only about 20 parts and cost £3. Wanted something that was easy to throw together but would be fun to paint. This is the progress so far. Still got decals to do and will also ad some weathering.

Then jumped into BF4 only to have the Mrs say the freezer isn’t working. Turns out the plug had come out of the socket. Only casualty was a bit of ice cream that had gone soft. Such fun! 😀

F1E577DE 1EAE 4245 BFA6 5A434C1B206C

:unsure: Isnt that a lightning and the two spare fuel tanks on the wings go under the wings ?

Yes, it is a Lightning but the tanks do go over the wings as the undercarriage is in the way underneath. I had the same thought too as I had never seen one with tanks on before. With wings so thin I am surprised it can hold enough fuel to get airborne as the staggered engines take up a fair bit of room at the back and the intake runs through the fuselage.

18EC4804 DCAD 4481 9D45 6B5DCB655D7E

So strange, had never seen one with spare tanks before. The bulge at the bottom is also a fuel tank. When they go into battle they drop the spare tanks and it looks to me like they will take out the tail when dropped :unsure:.
The lightning was always a gas guzzler and even by todays planes it is still one of the worlds fastest vertical acceleration planes ever, in its day nothing could match it. Nice machine only a couple that still fly in South Africa.🚀

Just added some variation to the aluminium colour by using a mix of aluminium and airframe aluminium lacquers. Guessing the decals were quite old as the were awful and were just breaking up. XR760 crashed into the North Sea and none of the pictures show it with fuel tanks on

Some of the later versions had the over wing fuel tanks that were not jetisonable and others had missile pods there instead of the fuel. Some also had missile pods towards the end of the wings but beneath.

8A4454F0 B83D 428B 8CC5 621AAA75D894

That thing was a rocket, they reckon the reason they put wings on it was for somewhere to fix the navigation lights on :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: lakaelo
That thing was a rocket, they reckon the reason they put wings on it was for somewhere to fix the navigation lights on :LOL:

🤣 And there isn’t really much in the way of wings either!

Was the only UK military aircraft to exceed Mach 2. Shame the TSR-2 was cancelled as that plane looked gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread