Todays View

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Just a quick bit of shopping and then a coffee at the Windsor Farm Shop. No sighting of Prince Phillip this time but wallet took a hammering. The farm shop has nice veg and there are lots of the usal stuff like jams, pickles, pies and so on. Everything is about +75% over what you would pay in a supermarket. You would feel better if they held a gun to your head when you pay as at least it would be authentic robbery. Just got some cheese which is hard to find and normally has to be done mail order.

Only 12 hours till 🚆 to 🇫🇷.

566120FF 25ED 43B7 8C83 CFFDA2A98575

Attachments

• 35D3F215-5DD2-49F6-9DFD-3E765B6374F5.jpeg
    35D3F215-5DD2-49F6-9DFD-3E765B6374F5.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1
Some details about yesterday:

Eurotunnel Train£25 return
Car fuel: £25
Left home at 05:00 and got back home at 17:30. Would have been quicker if the train hadn’t broke coming back and that meant we got traffic.
  • Beer: About 30l (Mainly beers that we cannot easily get here or cost about €1.50 compared to £2.65)
  • Cidre: About 8l (again stuff we cannot get here)
  • Assorted aperitifs: 9 bottles (some we can get but cost £10 per bottle more - saved about £40)
  • 10 different cheese types (Some of these we can get but cost £1.50 more, others we cannot get)
  • 4 different sausages ( a lot cheaper than at home)
  • Jams (again better choice and cheaper)
  • Quite a few biscuits
  • Croissants/breads/pastries/etc
  • Coffee filters. 200 for €2 (costs about £1 for 40 here)
So though it cost £50 for travel we saved that amount easily on stuff we like and would buy plus there are loads of things we just cannot get here.

The really big downside is the mental torture of so many bottle clinking on the journey home. Despite best efforts and a fair bit of foam padding there are always some bottles that insist on clinking. 😠

956F0B6E 6F9A 48D2 97D2 4FD7C2C934F9

Reactions: lakaelo
Thats a very lucky picture !!!
I've seen two in my garden but was too late with the camera.
There are loads of escaped budgies that have gangged up together and survived.

Must be able to survive in urban environments. Loads in London too. Nice to see them but noisy bastards and scare all the other birds away.

Actually saw a red kite (not actually in my mum’s garden but above) and she lives just on the flight path east of Heathrow airport. These used to be around the Oxford area but gradually spreading further afield. Imp

This is my photo of one but not in the garden.

4DB4FFE4 A300 4DED BD9C E4E3798DF6F2

Reactions: We4re0ne
I think they were reintroduced here and are gradually spreading. Saw loads on the drive home.

Surprising how many birds of prey that we saw on the drive home yesterday. Most were buzzards, a few kestrels and some others that we have no idea what they were. We are absolutely useless at identifying birds. I know that you get differences between individuals but so often drawings and photos in books never seem to match what we have seen. Even when I have managed to get a photo off the dashcam there isn’t anything that matches. Maybe we are OK but the books are just shite. 😊

Anyway, today is mainly catching up on the washing (it is already raining), food shopping and then finding homes for the beer, aperitifs, cheese and sausages. 😁 Some of the cheese and sausage may not make it to storage.

Todays view: Almost back to normal!!

Caught up with the laundry, most stuff put away and only the beer supply to be reorganised to make room for the new stock.

Plus got an extra hour of BF4 yesterday as I had forgot to put the desk clock back an hour.👍🏼

As my mum didn’t have the hip replacement- apparently there was something like an 85% chance she wouldn’t survive. If she did survive there was significant risk of other things that would leave her more incapacitated than the hip pain was causing. So no big NRU donation at the moment.😬

We then had the day out at the hospital for a mysterious back pain/ breathing incident that all the tests failed to discover the cause of.

For ages she has been using two walking sticks and for ages we have suggested getting a stroller with a seat so she can rest when necessary. We also suggested seeing the doc to get stronger pain killers but nope that didn’t happen.

Couple of days before we left she got new pain killers from the doctor. After checking we noticed she was only taking tablets when it hurt rather than regularly. So she has now been taking them as prescribed and she is feeling a lot better. I know what that feels like as I saw the doc and he doubled the stuff I am taking and said it could take a week before I notice the difference. I was disappointed that after a week the pain was just the same. After two weeks though it is a hell of a lot better, still uncomfortable, but a lot better. Using a crutch instead of a walking stick helps a lot too.

Monday morning my mum goes and buys a stroller and thinks it is brilliant. (Bangs head against wall) Apparently her friends are saying she is pretty speedie walking now. Maybe not road runner like. Am pleased it is better for her but frustrated that she didn’t try what we suggested before.

Anyway, it is nice to be home and getting back into a routine.

Having to sort out some beers for this evening and to make room for the new stuff. 😁 30l just here. Must have about 100l in total. Going to have to drink more often. Can feel my liver quaking in fear! 😳

A9AF3CFE 1767 4F52 AE6A 7A41784B8D47

• Wow
We've been out with the dog again. Starts to getting really cold here.

IMG 20191116 162128

Timing belt + oil change done, car was ready to go but last moment fucking 2€ dipstick broke :(
Call me the "dipstick guy" :)

Attachments

• 15739346688382007992052272640444.jpg
    15739346688382007992052272640444.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 10
At this moment this is the view I have. Cosy with a coffee and a long lie-in. Nearly back into a routine but tomorrow work starts on the roof for a week. Getting the guttering, soffit, cladding, and fascia done as the shitty wood the builders used is awful. Early up mornings 😕

97B73953 FC4C 40AE BC93 DE03552D5700

Obviously being away for three weeks meant little chance to get some glue sniffing done. 🤪 Have managed to a little bit daily over the last week. On the Mosquito have got the engine bays fitted. Fair bit of work as they didn’t fit that well so there was a fair bit of filling and sanding before another coat of primer.

The German tank repair crew are starting to look OK. Spending time on the faces, which is building up various shades to define them more. Also completed the metal tracks for the Tiger 2. Might try and build a factory diorama so the interior can be seen though that depends if it actually looks OK.

02A193E2 C885 403C A46A FA88D7A66BB0 1EEF0FAF 26FB 45C1 927E ECAD8C0881BA

Getting the roof tarted up isn’t as disruptive as the water leak we had but it does mean we have had a week of earlier starts than usual and days filled with sawing and drilling and making them coffees. 🙂 Certainly looks a lot better and should last a long time. A reprieve tomorrow but they finish on Sunday.

Not been able to get any airbrushing done due to access to the garage and it being so cold. Hopefully tomorrow and the mozzy is masked and ready.

Attachments

• 36C24F0F-6318-409F-A492-DD188C815407.jpeg
    36C24F0F-6318-409F-A492-DD188C815407.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 4
Tank crew and tracks finished. Faces are a lot better now. Less living dead than before. I know the clothing is the wrong colours but I couldn’t be bothered getting all the paints needed. They just need some matte varnish to finish them off. Tracks have been primed and need painting but will do that once the tank build starts.

Roof guy is still here but really does seem to be the last day. Though outside it still feels like they are everywhere.

E165DED0 4C38 4728 9045 869CCFF3EB9D 5FB2B573 FAD6 4B59 9ED8 92C53A8E6F88 CC7EF9A1 D9C3 4E63 AC52 4E5FCD205870 6D000724 38D2 4388 90A1 3B09E43AA103

Users who are viewing this thread