Support Your Local Aid Organisation

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mr.X

Mr.X

NRU Member
5 Feb 2013
Germany
This thread has nothing to do with gaming...but concerns us all!

It is terrible to watch the news these days with all that terror and war and homeless people. We should remind that we have more than enough while others have nearly nothing. So many people without a home, outside in the cold not even a meal!
So everyone in his country could help by supporting their aid Organisation, or by starting help on his own.
If you're unsure about the global Organisation and where you're money there flows than search for a local Organisation where you can be sure money or cloth goes right where it is needed.

Here in Germany I supported this Organisation, where you can also can define where you're help should go to Gemeinsam gegen Kälte e.V.
So if you can help then do it!
I will end this post withe a quote:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good man do nothing"

Last edited:
Good suggestion.

We buy books from local orgs and then donate them back once read. The books get recycled and the org gets multiple purchases for the same item. Whilst each book may only be about a £1 the way my wife reads books that can easily be about £200+ a year. Whilst you may not be able to afford a lump sum £200 donation multiple small donations soon add up.

Do do some research though as not all organisations are quite what they seem. There have been a few in the U.K. that are less than ethical.

Wise words, Mr X.

For us, winter is the time of cozy blankets and a nice cup of coffee or tea.
Not so for all those adults and children who have no home.

In every German city and town there are “Wärmestuben”, i.e. “warm rooms” for homeless people which provide not only a temporary shelter but also emotional backing.
So if we support our local aid organization, as Mr X suggested, we can lend a helping hand in enabling the local authorities to keep the doors open for extended hours.
With temperatures falling far below zero, this is not an option but a necessity.

Reactions: Mr.X
I see a lot of this world and can say we live like mice in a grain silo. By this I don't mean only three meals a day. I mean safety, security, peers. It takes courage and reflection to see it like it really is: We are still a humankind that struggles to survive the harsh truth of the world. Nature's force, hunger, and on top of it all we have no better idea than to be at war with one another. We fight about temporary events and people that are just dust in the wind, if you put it in the dimension of the vast universe we discovered.

There is an arab proverb that says: "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go with others."

Only by working together, we can have the lives we have. We tend to forget that all the objects we handle daily are made by other hands. We have currency to balance the giving and receiving work system, and it's very easy to adjust who you help and who helps you - there are probably more bad decisions than good ones out there, so we should pay attention to what sticks us together. In the end, we are just a bunch of workers and helpers, building a community so we can all live well.

We humans wouldn't have come so far without an outstandingly intelligent perk of evolution - we can communicate like no other living being on earth, over time and space, in different languages and even without saying any word. Giving a little of one's work to the community helps more than it hurts, and it says a lot about whether you want to go fast or you want to go far.

I personally think it's not always easy to find someone to handle your share, since it became an industry. The ceo and the executive vice president of unicef earned about 250k euro each annually until they were criticised for it. But if you open your eyes around you, there are a lot of local organisations without costly advertising. Every year plus whenever I feel like it I give something, and it's money I'd otherwise have spent on things I don't really need. It doesn't surprise me that you all see it in a similar way :)

@Lady, Glen and Tousled, its nice to hear your minds.
And I only can agree with the sentence: "if you put it in the dimension of the vast universe "
We are so small in this big universe and most of the people on earth act as if they where the center of it! I sometimes wish that all those people would "awake" from their stupid blind behavior!
But I guess that will never happen...

So to supoort the local aid Organisation like the "soup kitchen" or else is a good way to help.

Last edited:
I agree completely and also want to voice my concern for the rise in inequality, also in so called progressive countries such as the very country I'm a citizen of i.e. Sweden. This may not cause as visible effects as homelessness etc. (naturally not trivializing that) but it has very tangible effects on a large number of people and on all aspects of life, not only the financial status of people. One website of note on the subject is this one: The Equality Trust | Working to improve the quality of life in the UK by reducing economic inequality

It's a strange time we are living in, I read somewhere that charities get more funding now than ever before (?) and global "absolute poverty" is decreasing both in absolute and relative terms. At the same time, it seems greed and egocentricity have become more common - totally unsubstantiated of course but just a feeling I have.

I agree completely and also want to voice my concern for the rise in inequality, also in so called progressive countries such as the very country I'm a citizen of i.e. Sweden. This may not cause as visible effects as homelessness etc. (naturally not trivializing that) but it has very tangible effects on a large number of people and on all aspects of life, not only the financial status of people. One website of note on the subject is this one: The Equality Trust | Working to improve the quality of life in the UK by reducing economic inequality

It's a strange time we are living in, I read somewhere that charities get more funding now than ever before (?) and global "absolute poverty" is decreasing both in absolute and relative terms. At the same time, it seems greed and egocentricity have become more common - totally unsubstantiated of course but just a feeling I have.

thats sadly true. just the current oxfam report shows once more up that the inequality rising up more and more.

alone the heading "just 8 men own same wealth as half the world" should let you think about whats going wrong in the world.
Just 8 men own same wealth as half the world | Oxfam International

Users who are viewing this thread