[NSFW] SSD

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
glenwilson

glenwilson

NRU Heed
NRU Member
15 Mar 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
I have been running my PC on 250GB SSD for a while now with no real issues. It is just Windows and any system related stuff on there, all files are on other drives. Just noticed that I am down to 6gb free. Done all the usual disk clean-ups and manually deleted files so it looks like a larger SSD is required to give a bit of breathing room.

I may bite the bullet and upgrade the PC after Christmas as it is getting on a bit now and getting something similar to what laka got. Seems like a good time to do the OS drive at the same time. Have not looked at a PC mag or hardware for ages so am a bit out of date on stuff.

Looks like the Gigabyte A320m-S2H will take PCIe storage. Is it worth going down that route as a 500gb drive is about £50 which is similar to a 'normal' SSD drive.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of them and is it worth it for the performance?

Looks like that motherboard will work with an M.2 SSD. If you can get one for a good price I strongly recommend getting an M.2 SSD over a SATA SSD. They are a lot faster, and usually have a way higher TBW (total bytes written meaning their lifetime)

I personally recommend Samsung SSD's (3 out of 4 SSD's in my system hehe), but I've used a Corsair MP510 for a while now for games storage and I'm very happy with it.

Edit: Will make some more recommendations, but need to make dinner first

Last edited:
and usually have a way higher TBW (total bytes written meaning their lifetime)

If you buy from the right brand lifetime is not such a problem. I sadly think that the new ssd utility cant read out total written gb on my 250gb intel ssd.

Its from 2013 I think.

I dont know how there should be different memory in a pcie ssd for lasting them longer the basic technology is the exact same to my knowledge

uff sorry have written into the quote

Last edited:
Here are my personal recommendations for SSD's. As I (and @samoz83 )said before, my preference goes to Samsung, I trust them with my data :)

1. Samsung 970 Evo (Plus)
2. Corsair Force MP510
3. Kingston A2000

I like them for speed mostly, but other nice option is you loose 2 wires (power and sata) .

Thanks. The c drive which is what it would be is just OS and drivers so there shouldn't be a lot of data writing for files. I keep downloads, apps, pictures etc on separate HDDs and games and any videorecording on a couple of cheaper SSDs (well they were relatively cheap when I got them).

Thanks. The c drive which is what it would be is just OS and drivers so there shouldn't be a lot of data writing for files. I keep downloads, apps, pictures etc on separate HDDs and games and any videorecording on a couple of cheaper SSDs (well they were relatively cheap when I got them).

I think prices for nvme ssds are pretty fair so its worth a try - I still havent got one since I bought my last ssd when i didnt have a mainboard with m2 support.

But the difference between SataSSD and PCIESSD will not be the same as going from HDD to SSD - it almost felt as if windows is now in realtime instead of 0.6x times speed. We celebrated almost at work as our PC was instantly booted - downsinde was he had to start to work immediatly and no coffeebrake at 9am.

I think it sounds worth it. With an SSD it takes about 20 seconds from hitting start to being able to do something. Probably have a budget of about £500. MB, CPU and RAM is about £340. Guess I need to do some research as the bits laka got are not available.

I think it sounds worth it. With an SSD it takes about 20 seconds from hitting start to being able to do something. Probably have a budget of about £500. MB, CPU and RAM is about £340. Guess I need to do some research as the bits laka got are not available.

Where is lakas list of hardware then?

+1 for the Samsung Evo series, I use them everywhere. I have had 2 total failures of Kingston drives in the past

ah here it was. lol

• Dislike
Reactions: samoz83

Nope Im still having issues lol, after 5 years i think an upgrade is in order, so i shall be checking out the sales, .. wish me luck, , lol

Users who are viewing this thread