Smoked whitefish

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
blugi21

blugi21

Crazy, mad, insane!
NRU Member
17 Jan 2021
Rauma, Finland
My dad fishes whitefish during spring and today we smoked some.

Put some wood chips (alder tree) plus little sugar on bottom of the "smoke box" and fish on top. Then keep the box on fire for about 20-30mins, until the fish is done and gotten nice caramellised color. 🤤

The fish needs also to be salted beforehand but dad did that and I have no clue of that process. ^^

IMG 20220507 101104 IMG 20220507 101322 IMG 20220507 102828

Does that process preserve them or do they have a shelf life? Looks a simple process and quick. Most of the smoked fish up here seems to be 12 hours or longer which, too me, seems to not make it better.

Does that process preserve them or do they have a shelf life? Looks a simple process and quick. Most of the smoked fish up here seems to be 12 hours or longer which, too me, seems to not make it better.
No, they need to be eaten quite quickly. Its basicly like cooking them in oven but with smoke to give them color and flavor. ^^

Reactions: glenwilson
Man now I want some smoked fish, haven't had in ages and every time I visit Turun Saaristo I get to eat some 🤤

• Yay
Reactions: blugi21
What do you eat them with? I am thinking of them in a sandwich with mayo. As I said I am not a great fan of smoked stuff but those really do look delicious and fresh. 😋

Reactions: Riot_co
What do you eat them with? I am thinking of them in a sandwich with mayo. As I said I am not a great fan of smoked stuff but those really do look delicious and fresh. 😋
We eat the fish as it is. Peel the skin and then picking the meat from bones with fingers (hated it as a child as it was messy and annoying 😁). Usually have potatoes and salad on the side. 🙂

Edit: Quite common here in Finnland when people are in their summer places and/or near water. Simple way to cook fish (even bigger hauls at once) after being fishing. ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: Riot_co and lakaelo
here you get some nice smoked fish in a lot of food stores. even lidl is selling one. as blugi said, eat it without anything else, just pure. tip: as you get only cooled smoked fish here normaly, try to "head" it in the oven for some time and as less as possible. i normaly use max 10 minutes ( depending on the wight ) for only 50° ( less temperature our oven can do. for me it is more tasty again when the fish is not such cold anymore and the "fishoil/fat" is more tasty.

Users who are viewing this thread