Settings and Tips

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Raven

Raven

NRU Member
3 Apr 2019
Hi all,

It was highlighted this evening that a few of us could probably do with some assistance in getting the best possible performance out of our ageing machines.

For example - I have an FX 8350 @ 4GHz with 16Gb DDR RAM and a GTX 980 Ti running on Windows 7. I have an AOC monitor running at 144Hz
My system runs the game fine but I would like to make sure it runs as smooth as possible to get the most out of it.

There seems to a wealth of experience out there (eg Paris) and many others will have found solutions around nagging problems

I think a thread with some suggestions on what works best while keeping the game looking nice would be appreciated by everyone.

Last edited:
The only hardware I have had to buy is a new graphics card and that was eye opening as it was so much cheaper to get better, quieter and cooler performance. I would have to do a lot of research to catch-up with available hardware.

I use a superwide screen monitor that only has a 60hz refresh option but is HD. It is great for video and photo editing editing and also works well with Apple’s Logic Pro. I also like the wide view in BF without the hassle of multiple screens.

Even with my aging PC, most of it is about 6+ years old it will run BF4 in ultra and also BFV with decent settings even though it is under the recommended hardware for BFV. BF1 is OK but I guess the engine has been tweaked for BFV.

I usually run BF4 with medium graphics. Why? On my set-up I notice little difference between medium and ultra. I assume that the game isn’t ignoring settings and giving me the same regardless of what I choose. There are times when grass details and a few other eye candy things are noticeable but nothing detrimental to playing. BF4 can use the extra screen space but there are times it gets a but confused like during the end of round sequence. BFV is OK.

The main difference I have noticed when running on ultra the frames/image can take a little time to catch-up if you move view suddenly. It is milliseconds but you can see players a fraction of a second before the building gets rendered. I deliberately use medium setting because of that. It only happens occasionally. Its maybe what others have notice and use to their advantage?

I have tried some of the network settings but have not noticed any changes or improvements.

Would be useful to see if anyone has other suggestions that would be worth trying.

Turn FXAA off (unless you have no MSAA on) as it makes your image more blurry. Ambient occlusion and AA are probably where you save most FPS (effects quality put at high as it halfs the res of things like smoke and you prob won't even notice the difference compared to ultra). From what I remember mesh quality is CPU bound so turn that down if you don't have a strong CPU but post fx is very GPU bound. You could also try using a high render resolution instead of MSAA see if that gives better performance.

Edit: It's too early for me so this could all be lies, I can't remember :)

• Haha
Reactions: ParisX
For me, since my lappy is not so strong anymore and continues to degrade, i have found that some settings give me optimal performance so i never get those micro stutters and screen tears in order to be consistent.

Laptop: Toshiba Qosmio X-70-A series, the last of the giants that toshiba used to make back in 2013, for some reason they stopped making toshiba gaming lappys.

Specs : ( the ones that matter that is :D )
Core i7 4700MQ (2,4 Ghz)
16 Gb DDR3 ram
Geforce GTX 770 3 Gb
Everything running on a smooth Win10 Pro 64 bit.( Build 17134)

A setting that help ALOT laptop users it seems to be in Power options you choose "Balanced" plan and you go into "change plan settings" then "change advanced power settings" and change the following:
Under "Processor power management" there will be 3 choices, i only tweaked the 3rd " maximum processor state" to 1.) On battery :99% and 2.) Plugged in : 99% , it seems to have solved the micro-stuttering problem i used to have at once.

Now for the in-game settings , it gets trickier since each one has different hardware that can provide more or less.

For my specs what works best, without loosing too much and still having some graphical fidelity ( or maybe i got used to these settings and don't really care about it anymore ;p) is the following:

1.) Under Gameplay tab and in advanced options scroll down to the end and where is "Optimize bandwidth usage " i have turned that off.

2.) Under Audio in the speaker type i always have it on "Wartapes" (in order to hear all you cocks footsteps running around me so i can coordinate myself better without turning up the volume too much ! ! )

3.) Under Video Resolution is 1600x900 60.5 Hz in Fullscreen mode and resolution scale is 80% since my lappy ain't getting any younger and is kinda old as it is.

4.) Motions blur is at 0 % as it just confuses me and gives my laptop a hard time.

5.) Now in the right side everything is low and/or off except two settings : "Texture Quality" that is at HIGH and "Mesh Quality" that i have turned on ULTRA since its the setting that lets you perceive shapes at distance, that is why although i have low graphics, i can always see you cocks at the distance ;)

That's pretty much about it for my setup !

A setting that help ALOT laptop users it seems to be in Power options you choose "Balanced" plan and you go into "change plan settings" then "change advanced power settings" and change the following:
Under "Processor power management" there will be 3 choices, i only tweaked the 3rd " maximum processor state" to 1.) On battery :99% and 2.) Plugged in : 99% , it seems to have solved the micro-stuttering problem i used to have at once.
This reminds me there is also an equivalent sorta setting in the Nvidia control panel for people with Nvidia GPUs. It's recommended to set always max performance, and there used to be one that said optimise for single display instead of multi though not sure if that's still there (at work so can't check :p)

• Wow
i3-7100
Gtx1060 3g
4gb ddr4
monitor is shit 1600*something
I let nvidia Gforce experience set my game settings so i don't see Parisx wanking in the bushes :)

• Haha
This reminds me there is also an equivalent sorta setting in the Nvidia control panel for people with Nvidia GPUs. It's recommended to set always max performance, and there used to be one that said optimise for single display instead of multi though not sure if that's still there (at work so can't check :p)
Samoz is right guys, thank god he remembered it cause i completely forgot ! ! Actually checking now with latest Nvidia drivers the optimize for single display is gone and my power management went from adaptive to Optimal for some reason and i dont think i remember OPTIMAL being a choice so...turned it back to Adaptive as it gives me max fps for some reason ! i think prefer maximum performance actually screws up my fps and i get all kinds of lag micro stutter etc. so sticking with good ol adaptive !

I have changed mine to some of Paris' settings just to see if it makes a difference for me. My screen resolution is 2560x1080.

In Win10 it used to have a Game Mode but I can't find where the on/off is in the current version unless it is enabled by default. I think when it detects a game being played it throttles back some of the less important system functions or reprioritises some to give better performance. Can't say I have noticed any difference though.

May be worth having a look at what background stuff you have running and stopping or pausing any background functions. Also, any software you don't use uninstall as they can have background tasks that run unnoticed. Adobe is a good example even with their PDF reader.

Update: Just noticed that the latest version of Windows installed (5th May) and starts Skype by default - already had loads of "calls" from quite attractive women wanting to 'get in touch'. It does do this with a lot of crap that may need to be uninstalled manually. I am running Windows 10 Pro Build 1803.

Last edited:
In Win10 it used to have a Game Mode but I can't find where the on/off is in the current version unless it is enabled by default. I think when it detects a game being played it throttles back some of the less important system functions or reprioritises some to give better performance. Can't say I have noticed any difference though.
It seems i misread, i do too have the 1803 version Win10 Pro ( 17134.765 Build) and the game mode doesn't have an ON or OFF button anymore, so i checked in the registry under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar " "AllowAutoGameMode " and the value was set to "0" meaning it was globally already off for me.

Reactions: glenwilson
Guys what do you think about using Razor Cortex? I think it did improve my performance. It does some system level tweaks and detects that you are running a game, in that case, it stops all unnecessary processes and frees some extra RAM. So far it seems to have done a good job here on my lappy.

(8th gen. i5, 8GB RAM, 16 GB Optane, 1000 GB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050)

For me it's just keeping all in max with motion blur at 0%. My specs are below.

CPU: i7-8700k 5.1GHz and 4.1 volts.
GPU: 2x 2080Ti:s in NVlink configuration without overclocking.
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 1tb M.2
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3200MHz and 1.35 volts

I guess you could say i have a top of the line pc currently... I still wish to upgrade my CPU to Intel i9-7980XE. It's the newest and greatest CPU for gaming from intel and i believe i can pull even more power out of that one when compared to my current one. I do have an AMD build with Epyc 7401 too but that one is more suitable for video editing and things like that than gaming.

• Wow
For me it's just keeping all in max with motion blur at 0%. My specs are below.

CPU: i7-8700k 5.1GHz and 4.1 volts.
GPU: 2x 2080Ti:s in NVlink configuration without overclocking.
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 1tb M.2
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3200MHz and 1.35 volts

I guess you could say i have a top of the line pc currently... I still wish to upgrade my CPU to Intel i9-7980XE. It's the newest and greatest CPU for gaming from intel and i believe i can pull even more power out of that one when compared to my current one. I do have an AMD build with Epyc 7401 too but that one is more suitable for video editing and things like that than gaming.
Isnt the i9 9900 the latest processor in the market ?

Don't forget to account for the slow down with new and future vulnerabilities they find in their chips 😂

I have never played on a top of the range super duper machine. Mine have usually had budget limits. Does having a top of the range machine make a big difference or is it just so it looks pretty? There are obviously frame rate advantages but does that make a big difference?

I have never played on a top of the range super duper machine. Mine have usually had budget limits. Does having a top of the range machine make a big difference or is it just so it looks pretty? There are obviously frame rate advantages but does that make a big difference?
Well i am not the one to talk since i never had the TOP of the range super duper machine ;p , i guess Witch can tell us for sure !

oh yeah. I just find 7980XE to be easier to overclock.
By the way mate i am curious since i did try to overclock my old tower pc once. How do you overclock something in a stage where it doesnt degrade too fast so you dont lower its life expectancy drastically but still give it enough juice to BOOST your gaming experience ?

By the way mate i am curious since i did try to overclock my old tower pc once. How do you overclock something in a stage where it doesnt degrade too fast so you dont lower its life expectancy drastically but still give it enough juice to BOOST your gaming experience ?
Plus i would like you to explain something to me if you have the time , i found this Quick CPU - CPU Core Parking and Performance Optimization which is a lightweight program kinda like an overclocking i guess but for dummies, but not real overclocking cause that i remember is hard and risky, anyways
What does Frequency scaling should be in terms of % as well as Turbo boost

It's all about cooling mainly. boosting the clocks in your CPU also raise the amount of heat you have to be able to cool. Just don't go over 80-90 degrees and the cpu shouldn't degrade faster than usual.

Plus i would like you to explain something to me if you have the time , i found this Quick CPU - CPU Core Parking and Performance Optimization which is a lightweight program kinda like an overclocking i guess but for dummies, but not real overclocking cause that i remember is hard and risky, anyways
What does Frequency scaling should be in terms of % as well as Turbo boost
This one... Never really used that software so i have no idea what frequency scaling does. From what i understand its about scaling the cpu clock so nothing lags or something... i need to look into it a bit more to understand how it works

Users who are viewing this thread