response to the data breaches last couple months

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
CapHunterx

CapHunterx

where's my AEK?
NRU Member
22 Nov 2020
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
If you read the news you know a lot of data breaches came out from big companies

A group of white hads (ethic hackers) have used those data beaches so people can check if there email or phone number is in a data breach

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You can check it on this site (trust me this is save)

What to do if your pwned (meaning your in a breach)

If your email is in there it can mean you get a lot of spam. It's also possible they know your password so make sure all your passwords are changed to avoid any further problems.

Its recommended to make a new email for sensitive programs like your steam, origin, your personal stuf. You won't get any spam in your new inbox and it way more secure. Don't use the same passwords and use a password manager to make random passwords for every important login. Never use the same passwords for important accounts.

Use your old email for things like social media. Especially facebook and bigger platforms without good security (yes Facebook's has shitty security, and I think the leaks arent even breaches and Facebook just sells them because they can take the hit of such an event)

Anyway Google and Microsoft, steam, origin, and small accounts (like our forum which is just to small to be targeted) are pretty secure so put them on the new email.

I know it takes some time. But would you give your home key away without changing the lock?

I can't stress enough that even a small beach is a huge security problem for online and even real life problems like hackers using your info to make subscribtions and stuf.

Anyway, hope you guys stay save. Take some time to fix your online security because it can have some big issues

this' the reason why I don't even have a birth date real on any site...

the down side is that I don't get many b-day wishes on my real b-day :D

I just made up 5 random email addresses and they all came up as affected, which is strange as they dont exist 🤔.
I dont have any sensitive passwords stored anywhere including in my computer. I trust nothing and no one 🤷‍♂️

thank you Riz, it was actually 5 days ago, but you're closer than anyone :D

I have 2 email addresses, one "professional" (first name + last name) and another one for when I don't want to share my last name
I have the 2FA everywhere I can (including on the forum)
I use dashlane which generates unique passwords for all sites and warns me if an account is in a breaches

example of a password I can use :
on the website How Strong Is My Password? for the same password it says that it would take 165 trillion years for a computer to crack it

Reactions: lakaelo

Users who are viewing this thread