Reformatting & Battlefield 3

• Thread starter DarkByD3sign
  • Start date
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
DarkByD3sign

DarkByD3sign

NRU Member
26 Aug 2012
UK
Hi guys,

So today I was tasked with having to reformat my Windows 7 machine, which is well a pain in the ass. The thing I'm most bothered about is the fact I'm going to have to re-download my who Battlefield 3 Game and all the addons Premium brings. This was a major turn off for me as it would mean I'd have around 2 days downloading on my hands (I know I know getting Fibre Optic soon).

Unbeknown to myself though I've managed to find a way around this. No longer do you need to re-download Premium, as the steps below show:

1) Before you reformat/reinstall Windows, copy the BF3 folder (in my case it's in a sub folder inside the Origin folder, like X:\Origin\Battlefield 3) into an external hard drive or another partition that you WONT format)
* if you have other games from Origin you want to backup, just copy those the same way.
2) Proceed with format/OS install..
3) Copy back the Origin or BF3 folder to your desired location
4) Re-install Origin in any partition where you want, run Origin
* BF3 will be listed as "Ready to download".. but don't download.
5) Go to options (gear button) > General tab.. under "Downloaded Games".. hit the Change button and select the folder where you re-copied the BF3 folder (in my case X:\Origin), and not just the BF3 folder itself.
6) Exit and restart Origin.. and BF3 should be listed as "Ready to Install", that's if the folder settings are correct.
7) Hit "Ready to Install" and wait about a minute (depending on your system) for it to refresh the game
8) Done, go play.. no BF3 re-downloads and re-installs

*** This is done at your own risk, I cannot be held responsible for any damage or lost items due to the information I've provided ***

Hope this helps you all!

DarkByD3sign

" This is done at your own risk, I cannot be held responsible for any damage or lost items due to the information I've provided ""

dammit, just done this and my hard drive made a grinding sound and set on fire ??

... only joking :) ...thanks for sharing a great tip darky .

Users who are viewing this thread